X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen these HFCS TV spots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJJG...eature=related

I saw one on Lifetime last night and I honestly thought it was a joke. Ugggggh these people need to go to jail.

The fact that the corn refiners are willing to spend money on this campaign is proof positive that they're losing money as a result of the anti-HFCS press. This is a good sign.
    Last edited by fireandstone; 04-27-2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I can't believe that somebody actually got paid money to come up with the arguments that "it's made from corn" and "it's no worse than sugar". What's next, fortifying it with vitamins?
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Hah - those commercials crack me up. Also, my head explodes.

Comment

Vote me for President and I would ensure there would be criminal charges for those ad's, your slowly killing people to make money!

Comment

OHMFG. it just keeps going, doesn't it.

Comment

Yeah. My favorite is when they say "what do they say?"... the person on the commercial goes blank... and I proceed to go through all the reasons HFCS and sugar are horrible for you. My daughter rolls her eyes at this point :-)

Someone made a you tube take off on those commercials with all of the facts in it... can't remember who right now, though... I'll have to find it!
              sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

It saddens me that "It's the same as sugar!" is considered a viable defense of HFCS. But then again, lots of people think that they are doing something healthy by drinking "Pepsi Throwback" or Mexican Coca-Cola made with real sugar; it's like a crackhead patting themselves on the back for doing cocaine instead.

Comment

Those ads would be great if they showed the truth......overweight kids and obese parents.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Don't worry about corn producers making money. We are subsidizing them to make ethanol from corn at roughly 3x the energy cost of using ethanol made from sugar cane.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera View Post
                      Don't worry about corn producers making money. We are subsidizing them to make ethanol from corn at roughly 3x the energy cost of using ethanol made from sugar cane.
                      Add to that the fact that ethanol is a very inefficient fuel source no matter what its made from and wastes good farm land that could be used for farming something that is more beneficial.
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                        Add to that the fact that ethanol is a very inefficient fuel source no matter what its made from and wastes good farm land that could be used for farming something that is more beneficial.
                        What if they collect it from vats full of algae instead?

http://www.technologyreview.com/business/23009/?a=f

Comment

(pardon my ignorance) How is HFCS worse than regular sugar? wikipedia doesn't give any info just speculation (please share some resources!). I implicit HFCS as sugar -> not worse nor better, just less expensive to produce. Whether or not this is true anything with HFCS isn't something I should be eating anyway (cheap bread, candy, junk) so since I stay away from it I don't really see the point of hating it. Korgs would get tubby and unhealthy if sugar was in its place anyway imho. And to be frank obese or unhealthy people "blaming" HFCS is off putting. That's what these ads aim to communicate ("is fine in moderation") - is that incorrect?
                          Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM.
                          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                            (pardon my ignorance) How is HFCS worse than regular sugar? wikipedia doesn't give any info just speculation (please share some resources!). I implicit HFCS as sugar -> not worse nor better, just less expensive to produce. Whether or not this is true anything with HFCS isn't something I should be eating anyway (cheap bread, candy, junk) so since I stay away from it I don't really see the point of hating it. Korgs would get tubby and unhealthy if sugar was in its place anyway imho. And to be frank obese or unhealthy people "blaming" HFCS is off putting. That's what these ads aim to communicate ("is fine in moderation") - is that incorrect?
                            http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/5/1194

"Research Methods and Procedures: We compared the effects of ad libitum access to fructose (15% solution in water), sucrose (10%, popular soft drink), and artificial sweetener (0% calories, popular diet soft drink) on adipogenesis and energy metabolism in mice.

Results: Exposure to fructose water increased adiposity, whereas increased fat mass after consumption of soft drinks or diet soft drinks did not reach statistical significance (n = 9 each group)."

Comment

thanks for the reference fireandstone

"In 34 subjects, 24-h glucose, insulin, leptin, ghrelin, and TG profiles were similar between days that sucrose or HFCS was consumed. Postprandial TG excursions after HFCS or sucrose were larger in men than in women. In the men in whom the effects of 4 sweeteners were compared, the 24-h glucose and insulin responses induced by HFCS and sucrose were intermediate between the lower responses during consumption of fructose and the higher responses during glucose. Unexpectedly, postprandial TG profiles after HFCS or sucrose were not intermediate but comparably high as after pure fructose."

So HFCS spikes your blood sugar more than sugar?

If HFCS's job is to be sweet and people are complaining that it is too sweet why not just consume less? A candy bar with HFCS or sugar is not going to be the healthy option. I guess I don't see why HFCS is dangerous. Just treat like it is more potent sugar right? I don't see why so many people hate it with a passion?
                              Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM.
                              ad astra per aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X