Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For or Against - Coffee drinking is beneficial to health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like a good cup of coffee or expresso with a bit a cocoa in it

Comment

Thanks to all who have given me so many responses to my query. And for those who were calling this thread a spam, it is just a link with a beautiful discussion over here. What's the big deal?

Anyways, coffee has been proved a very beneficial beverage for health. So is the tea. I recommend people to drink both. Not just the coffee or not just the tea. But take advantage of both the beverages. That is what I'm doing these days. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning till noon and one cup of green tea in the evening after returning from gym.
      Last edited by Finn Felton; 06-28-2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

We meant no harm. Pretty generally, we get weekly (or daily) drive by posts from profiles registered in less commonly encountered countries where the content usually links to a product or blog that supports it. We got confused is all.

M.

Comment

I don't get withdrawals from coffee. I drink 1-2 a day. But have had phases where I drink 4 or so. I love it and you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

I love my coffee in the morning and afternoon. 2 cups a day for me :-) espresso only (at home for me, Starbucks is over rated and spendy!) drip coffee is like drinking acid

Comment

If you need it or rely on it for energy then it isn't good for you. It has way more negatives than positives.

Comment

I love coffee... must be good coffee.
                And I don't need to have one everyday.

Best coffee to make at home is Bulletproof Coffee

Coffee becomes not beneficial when you start adding in sugar and crap milk. Oh and using crap coffee...

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                  If you need it or rely on it for energy then it isn't good for you. It has way more negatives than positives.
                  This is nonsense in my opinion. Cite studies that support your claims, this is the research section after all.
                  My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                    This is nonsense in my opinion. Cite studies that support your claims, this is the research section after all.
                    What, that it can have negatives? If you feel you need caffeine as a stimulant or have withdrawals then you're drinking too much.

The effect of dietary caffeine on urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, chloride and zinc in healthy males
                    Coffee Acutely Increases Sympathetic Nerve Activity and Blood Pressure Independently of Caffeine Content
                    PLOS ONE: Caffeine Impairs Myocardial Blood Flow Response to Physical Exercise in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease as well as in Age-Matched Controls
                    Coffee, caffeine and blood pressure: a criti... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI
                    PLOS ONE: Caffeine Impairs Myocardial Blood Flow Response to Physical Exercise in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease as well as in Age-Matched Controls
                    Filtered coffee raises serum cholesterol: re... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
                    Effects of acute administration of caffeine on ... [Am J Cardiol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
                    Effects of caffeine on blood pressure, heart rate, and forearm blood flow during dynamic leg exercise
                    Acute Effect of Caffeine on Arterial Stiffness and Aortic Pressure Waveform

If you tolerate it fine, if it doesn't effect sleep quality or you don't have health issues that it may exacerbate I don't see a problem consuming it in moderation. But if you're using it as a crutch just to function properly then you have problems with caffeine.
                    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-08-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

This isn't new but truly cold brewed coffee is so great tasting (if done properly, and not the Japanese method) and you can serve it hot cold with milk whatever.
                      It has less caffein, and way less acid so people that have reflux have a far easier time with it.
                      I drink it because its so smooth. I have 1-2 cups per day.

Comment

I'm wondering if the coffee at my closest coffee shop (where I go at least once a week with the S.O.) is actually worth drinking, or if it's more harm than good.

M.

Comment

It's probably beneficial the same way just about everything else is; Good for some people, Bad for some people, others have no response to it.

I drink decaf. because I like the flavour of coffee but caffeinated anything puts me dead to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by jackaaron View Post
                            This isn't new but truly cold brewed coffee is so great tasting (if done properly, and not the Japanese method) and you can serve it hot cold with milk whatever.
                            It has less caffein, and way less acid so people that have reflux have a far easier time with it.
                            I drink it because its so smooth. I have 1-2 cups per day.
                            What is "truly cold brewed coffee"? What is the "Japanese method"? How do you know it has less caffeine? Less caffeine than what?

Comment

The whole black/white thing is silly. Sure, if you (generic you, not anyone in particular) drink 15 cups a day, coffee is going to make you feel bad, and cutting back is going to make you feel bad. But a cup in the morning and another at maybe 3pm? Hardly going to kill you unless you have a medical condition that's exacerbated by caffeine.

Everything we do on a regular basis has become an "addiction." I'm addicted to air. I once tried to go more than 90 seconds without it, and it was a total fail. I went to meetings and appealed to a higher power, but to no avail. There are days when I don't drink any coffee, especially recently.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by infinitewellness View Post
                                Coffee becomes not beneficial when you start adding in sugar and crap milk. Oh and using crap coffee...
                                I'm not disagreeing with you on the 'crap coffee' part, but do you have any way of substantiating the rest of your claim?

Comment

Working...
                                X