Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop referencing Dr Andrew Weil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Pam916 View Post
    Absolutely not. My doctor is overweight and I am fine with her prescribing meds for a sinus infection, strep throat or doing my yearly physical. Her credentials are on the wall. However, I would question her immediately if she were to tell me to lose weight and provide me with information on how to do so when she CLEARLY does not follow that same path in her life. Walk the walk, talk the talk. Her credentials for following a healthy lifestyle are written all over her person.
    We see a lot of people pushing diets of various sorts, and there really is no way to know from looking at them whether they follow their own program, some other one, or are naturally thin with zero expertise.

    I agree that people who are pushing a weight loss program should be able to heal themselves. I did some market research on this a while back among hypnotists, many of whom who are over weight (kind of like the public) to find out what sort of "expert" they would trust for help.

    But I would disagree that they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      We see a lot of people pushing diets of various sorts, and there really is no way to know from looking at them whether they follow their own program, some other one, or are naturally thin with zero expertise.

      I agree that people who are pushing a weight loss program should be able to heal themselves. I did some market research on this a while back among hypnotists, many of whom who are over weight (kind of like the public) to find out what sort of "expert" they would trust for help.

      But I would disagree that they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.
      With google we could all have something "useful" to add to the discussion. Seriously though, I get what you are saying and she is a licensed physician, she obviously knows a thing or two about the benefits of eating right and exercise - but at the end of the day, I am not going to walk away from the information provided to me by an obese doctor as say a fit one, ready to make lifestyle changes. I am just being honest.

      Comment


      • #33
        People should try more to look past the exterior and fully embrace the meaningful.

        If by looking at something and not liking what you see then proceeding to not taking something that is good to heart, I feel is flawed.

        For me, if I see someone who is ripped and physically fit, I would ask them primarily about fitness, not about health and not about nutrition yet. I would ask them about the latter only after I learned more about them and their habits.

        I am not religious, but that doesn't mean there is nothing good that I can't learn from a certain religion.

        Oh and a good hairdresser's skill is most likely measured on the quality hairstyle of his/her clients. If a hairdresser has awesome personal hair, she most likely goes to another awesomely skilled hairdresser.

        Comment


        • #34
          When you need diet advice you should go to skinny people, for exercise advice you should go to a 20-something male who has never been out of shape, when you need surgery you should go to someone who has had breast augmentation. Their success is clear evidence they know how to help you attain your goals.

          The problem is that people who do real things these days end up in offices, labs, and other controlled environments, working long sedentary days, not getting the exercise they should be getting. To be an expert requires constant study (which means sitting still and reading), constant research (which involves more sitting still and working), and then if they want to write a book that means even more time writing (yet more sitting). They work indoors, and if they work with experiments or have patients they can't take long vacations. As a result, they are ugly. Sorry, it's true. Their work, their chosen lifestyle, makes them ugly. So when you get your advice, the last group you want to consult is experts. Instead you should trust 20-somethings with enough money to hire ghost writers. They are beautiful, and therefore credible, and you would have to be crazy to look beyond that.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Him View Post
            When you need diet advice you should go to skinny people, for exercise advice you should go to a 20-something male who has never been out of shape, when you need surgery you should go to someone who has had breast augmentation. Their success is clear evidence they know how to help you attain your goals.

            The problem is that people who do real things these days end up in offices, labs, and other controlled environments, working long sedentary days, not getting the exercise they should be getting. To be an expert requires constant study (which means sitting still and reading), constant research (which involves more sitting still and working), and then if they want to write a book that means even more time writing (yet more sitting). They work indoors, and if they work with experiments or have patients they can't take long vacations. As a result, they are ugly. Sorry, it's true. Their work, their chosen lifestyle, makes them ugly. So when you get your advice, the last group you want to consult is experts. Instead you should trust 20-somethings with enough money to hire ghost writers. They are beautiful, and therefore credible, and you would have to be crazy to look beyond that.
            Haha, hire ghost writers and models.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
              People should try more to look past the exterior and fully embrace the meaningful.

              If by looking at something and not liking what you see then proceeding to not taking something that is good to heart, I feel is flawed.

              For me, if I see someone who is ripped and physically fit, I would ask them primarily about fitness, not about health and not about nutrition yet. I would ask them about the latter only after I learned more about them and their habits.

              I am not religious, but that doesn't mean there is nothing good that I can't learn from a certain religion.

              Oh and a good hairdresser's skill is most likely measured on the quality hairstyle of his/her clients. If a hairdresser has awesome personal hair, she most likely goes to another awesomely skilled hairdresser.
              Thank you! You are 100% correct that people should not be judged by the way that they look. Again, I am just being honest. That certainly does appear to be a flaw in my nature. I do not apply this to all walks of life - just a obese physician spouting off that I need to lose weight, although, then wouldn't the saying that those that can, do and those that cannot teach? Maybe I have learned something here today. My doctor has never told me I needed to lose weight - so this hasn't actually happened to me.

              I still think a hairdresser should have their hair done. I don't care it if is multi-colored as long as it is done in whatever style they are wearing it. I feel like it shows pride - that's all.

              Comment


              • #37
                my doctor is short, chunky, wears low cut blouses, and tells funny off-color stories

                she's also diligent, caring, will research how to best help you in her off time, will try her best to make you at ease and is protective of her nurses when someone is being unruly

                the only thing i disagree with is her choice of diet

                judge a book by its cover all you want, i'll put my body and health in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing
                beautiful
                yeah you are

                Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

                Comment


                • #38
                  Doctors smoke, and doctors need to lose weight. The fact that they have not made these changes is mostly a reflection of how hard it is to accomplish those things. And realistically, all doctors don't have the time needed to acquire the expertise they need, given that they too are being bombarded by misinformation and disinformation by supposed experts.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    It's a bit like a catholic priest that I know, personally he is an atheist, but he want people to confess their sins and live a christian life...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                    - Schopenhauer

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Him View Post
                      When you need diet advice you should go to skinny people, for exercise advice you should go to a 20-something male who has never been out of shape, when you need surgery you should go to someone who has had breast augmentation. Their success is clear evidence they know how to help you attain your goals.

                      The problem is that people who do real things these days end up in offices, labs, and other controlled environments, working long sedentary days, not getting the exercise they should be getting. To be an expert requires constant study (which means sitting still and reading), constant research (which involves more sitting still and working), and then if they want to write a book that means even more time writing (yet more sitting). They work indoors, and if they work with experiments or have patients they can't take long vacations. As a result, they are ugly. Sorry, it's true. Their work, their chosen lifestyle, makes them ugly. So when you get your advice, the last group you want to consult is experts. Instead you should trust 20-somethings with enough money to hire ghost writers. They are beautiful, and therefore credible, and you would have to be crazy to look beyond that.
                      Excellent!
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                      B*tch-lite

                      Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Pam916 View Post
                        Thank you! You are 100% correct that people should not be judged by the way that they look. Again, I am just being honest. That certainly does appear to be a flaw in my nature. I do not apply this to all walks of life - just a obese physician spouting off that I need to lose weight, although, then wouldn't the saying that those that can, do and those that cannot teach? Maybe I have learned something here today. My doctor has never told me I needed to lose weight - so this hasn't actually happened to me.

                        I still think a hairdresser should have their hair done. I don't care it if is multi-colored as long as it is done in whatever style they are wearing it. I feel like it shows pride - that's all.
                        Please don't feel as if I was attacking your character. I do not know you, but I am sure you are a caring person at least for your own self because you are here at MDA.

                        I can certainly understand your position, it would look much more presentable if that hairdresser had awesome hair....a very good marketing strategy etc.

                        But if that hairdresser only had awesome hair, but actually really stunk at his/her craft....then that doesn't mean a heck of a lot for those of us would be clients.

                        I fully feel most of us on MDA (including some trolls, and excluding other trolls) are on personal missions trying to find all the information relevant to our own respective lives and health concerns. I think most of us are also able to decipher what may or may not be b.s. And the things we don't know we may choose not to even bother with it or we may choose to dig a little bit deeper.

                        If the information is good and relevant to us, it doesn't matter where it comes from, so as long as whoever is delivering the message is not out to harm people.

                        Weil, like Sisson, like Mercola all need to earn a living too right? Just like Big Pharma, Big Aggra, Big Gov't.

                        Which of these are out to screw you more?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
                          Please don't feel as if I was attacking your character. I do not know you, but I am sure you are a caring person at least for your own self because you are here at MDA.

                          I can certainly understand your position, it would look much more presentable if that hairdresser had awesome hair....a very good marketing strategy etc.

                          But if that hairdresser only had awesome hair, but actually really stunk at his/her craft....then that doesn't mean a heck of a lot for those of us would be clients.

                          I fully feel most of us on MDA (including some trolls, and excluding other trolls) are on personal missions trying to find all the information relevant to our own respective lives and health concerns. I think most of us are also able to decipher what may or may not be b.s. And the things we don't know we may choose not to even bother with it or we may choose to dig a little bit deeper.

                          If the information is good and relevant to us, it doesn't matter where it comes from, so as long as whoever is delivering the message is not out to harm people.

                          Weil, like Sisson, like Mercola all need to earn a living too right? Just like Big Pharma, Big Aggra, Big Gov't.

                          Which of these are out to screw you more?
                          I did not feel attacked at all and honestly feel like I have taken away some very good points here. The worst thing we can do is to be closed off to new information/ideas. I do not want to be judged by my appearance, nor is my knowledge and intelligence wrapped up into my body mass. Why should I do the same to others. I am honestly humbled by the fact that when seeing it in writing, I have been doing something I do not want done to me. I feel like I had a successful day, because I have not only learned something, but maybe grown a bit too. All good on my end!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Just a thought... yeah, maybe Dr. Weil works hard, but so do most Americans. Shouldn't he work on an effective strategy that can work for people that in general have a similar lifestyle? A diet and exercise plan is ineffective if it can not be executed. There are MANY diet and exercise plans that work if you can follow them. You would think that the person it would be easiest for is the one that came up with it. When I see him fail, to me it's obviously good in theory. But fails in the long term.

                            http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                              Just a thought... yeah, maybe Dr. Weil works hard, but so do most Americans. Shouldn't he work on an effective strategy that can work for people that in general have a similar lifestyle? A diet and exercise plan is ineffective if it can not be executed. There are MANY diet and exercise plans that work if you can follow them. You would think that the person it would be easiest for is the one that came up with it. When I see him fail, to me it's obviously good in theory. But fails in the long term.
                              You are assuming he is even trying.

                              Science and daily experience (e.g. with domesticated animals) indicates that being overweight (not obese) is beneficial in a controlled environment (in other words, it isn't ideal for tooth-and-claw wild animals but once you put us in cages it correlates strongly with longer lifespan), so there is little incentive for a mated or sexually disinterested individual to maintain a slender appearance.

                              If this Dr. is some kind of scientist he would know that and could well be choosing longevity over appearance.
                              Last edited by Him; 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                He used to be my hero. No longer.

                                All I need to know about Weil is summed up in his Food Pyramid.

                                Dr Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet Food Pyramid
                                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X