Might Coffee be good for you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not sure if the tag team of DerpaZach know, but Paleobird is both a cancer survivor and epileptic. If she seems a bit strict on the health end of things, well, perhaps she's chosen life rather than brain numbing alcohol or artificial buzzes like coffee. And she's actually pretty interesting if you can ever see past the ends of your collective ... arms.
    I don't want to see past the ends of my arms unless Paleobird is in them
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      Point taken, Gorbag. I'm a coffee lover myself. More properly, coffee is a buzz derived from an outside source. Caffeine, nicotine, methadrine, benzedrine - all outside sources, some natural, some not. I should have been more precise in my wording.
      You might confuse him if you used big words like exogenous and endogenous. Thanks for the backup Joanie. Yes, I am very strict with a clean diet and no exogenous drugs because seizures and cancer are not fun at all. I run a very clean body here.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      Caffeine is not the only potentially unhealthy factor in coffee. I am fine with other caffeine delivery systems, but I can drink neither regular coffee nor decaf without getting major digestive inflammation.
      Yes, I have read that there is something about the oils in the coffee beans which can effect digestion. Will try to find citation on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        Aw, Derpadear.

Comment

fyi I don't think Paleobird is boring, the opposite in fact, she's strangely fascinating to me. I just like to playfully tease her from time to time.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Aw, Derpadear.
            <3<3<3
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              OMG - Derp - you little two timing buggar - all this time I thought that I was the only one.................
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Don't get all mushy you guys! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. LOL.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paleobird;1136518]BTDT.

Try this stuff. Teeccino Caffeine-Free Herbal Coffee They have a grain free blend that might work for you. Seriously good tasting stuff.

Do you buy it locally, or order it online? I like chicory, and this sounds good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Glenview;1136771]
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    BTDT.

Try this stuff. Teeccino Caffeine-Free Herbal Coffee They have a grain free blend that might work for you. Seriously good tasting stuff.

Do you buy it locally, or order it online? I like chicory, and this sounds good.
                    I buy it online since my local Sprouts and WF do carry it but only the kind with barley. They don't have the grain free one.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                      OMG - Derp - you little two timing buggar - all this time I thought that I was the only one.................
                      I'm a ladies man what can I say...
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Coffee is not affect you much, I will post a link soon for Doctor OZ advice about it for weight loss. It's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by GaryWatson View Post
                          Coffee is not affect you much, I will post a link soon for Doctor OZ advice about it for weight loss. It's awesome
                          Dr. Oz is the best since he has helped Orpah get thin with his diet advice.

Comment

It's like starting the day with a little gift.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                              Dr. Oz is the best since he has helped Orpah get thin with his diet advice.
                              LOL! Sometimes sarcasm doesn't work in print, but that was quite good.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

There is an interesting phenomenon called "hormesis" that could come in to play with coffee. Intuitively we think that we need to reduce all the toxins in our environment, but many of the so-called toxins have positive health effects at low doses. Plants make toxins to protect themselves from predators (insects, herbivores, Grok's, etc.) I've read that the caffeine in the coffee plant is toxic to many insects.

But, for example, members of the Broccoli/Cauliflower family of plants have low level toxins. When we eat them, the theory is that it stimulates our toxin-handling systems, sort of like exercise stimulates our muscles by stressing them. I looked briefly at health effects of caffeine, and find that coffee drinkers get LESS scarring when they have chronic hepatitis. That's a big deal, especially since I work in a liver transplant hospital.

That said, some of us shouldn't drink coffee/caffeine. It can worsen esophageal reflux disease and can increase gastric acid production. It can worsen abnormal heart rhythms. It can cause insulin release in some of us which can lead to excessive gnawing hunger. It might make high blood pressure higher. Taken at night it can interfere with restful sleep.

On the other hand caffeine is well recognized to increase energy levels and wakefulness, and it makes many of us a bit sharper. So far, for me, caffeine is still on my menu.
                                10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
                                Now: low 150's, 33" waist
                                Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X