Scientist Wife Not Buying It

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientist Wife Not Buying It

Perhaps because of the plethora of bad science out there, my scientist wife isn't buying into the primal - paleo concept. Can anyone site specific scientific studies to support this lifestyle?

Eating Academy. Start Here « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Excellent blog that always references the science behind his conclusions.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Which branch of the sciences?
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Here are two controlled trials on paleo:

Cardiovascular Diabetology | Full text | Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study <-- in diabetics.

A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance ... [Diabetologia. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI <-- in heart patients.

Unfortunately they are both small.

Here are two more interventions, but they're not randomized, also small:

Metabolic and physiologic improvements from ... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of a short-term intervention with a ... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

If you need studies on low-carb, then there are LOTS of high quality controlled trials.
        My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Comment

Optexperience.com/scienceofnutrition

You'll need to buy the seminar. It's 6 hours using a lot of biochemistry. The presenter is Harvard phd Dr Matt Lalonde. You'll get to watch it S often as you like. You may need to search the site for Matt lalonde it that link doesn't get you there. This is a seminar that will satisfy your wife's skiptisism.

That said these are free but only touch on one part of Paleo. Fructose and SAD processes foods
          Sugar: The Bitter Truth - UCTV - University of California Television
          The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Prime - UCTV - University of California Television
          The Fat Switch Book | Weight Control Guide - Mercola.com
          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by investorsrealtor View Post
            Perhaps because of the plethora of bad science out there, my scientist wife isn't buying into the primal - paleo concept. Can anyone site specific scientific studies to support this lifestyle?
            What aspects of the paleo lifestyle is she not buying? Does she believe in the science supporting ingestion of commercial processed foods and low fat foods??

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
              What aspects of the paleo lifestyle is she not buying? Does she believe in the science supporting ingestion of commercial processed foods and low fat foods??
              This would be my question as well. Eating whole, unprocessed foods shouldn't be a hard sell. So what are her main sticking points?
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Forgetting the science, will success stories not convince her?
                How much better do you feel?
                There are many stories on here about people who have improved so many health issues, and got their life back.

Does she not think you should do it? Or are you trying to convince her to? If its her you want to convince to do it, I wouldn't worry about it, let her just see your success.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
                  Yes this.
                  Paleo/primal is just eating real food, anything above that, are tweaks people make to suit their specific needs or change what aspect wasn't quite right for them.

Comment

good idea,if I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right

Comment

Sometimes a lighthouse just needs to shine.

She might worry less about the evidence when she sees your transformation firsthand.
                      My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Comment

Originally posted by investorsrealtor View Post
                        Can anyone site specific scientific studies to support this lifestyle?
                        The largest study/observation of tribes not heavily influenced by modern diets, and observation of their excellent health. This guy studied South Americans, Swiss villages, tribes at the poles, Africans, etc. Not some small/myopic study. There's not much to debate yet somehow people keep debating!

Principles of Healthy Diets - Weston A Price Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                          The largest study/observation of tribes not heavily influenced by modern diets, and observation of their excellent health. This guy studied South Americans, Swiss villages, tribes at the poles, Africans, etc. Not some small/myopic study. There's not much to debate yet somehow people keep debating!
                          because there is money to be made from industrial / factory foods.
                          Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

She should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain. Both books are well researched and well referenced. I also recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Robert Lustig which is on YouTube.
                            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
                              She should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain. Both books are well researched and well referenced. I also recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Robert Lustig which is on YouTube.
                              The trouble is that all of those have their flaws.

There's lots of good advice in this thread, but we can't give more targetted advice until we know more exactly what her objections are. If they are just 'there's no way of replicating paleolithic diets, it's a stupid thing to do', then I have to say, I completely agree with her. All we are doing is using paleo as a proxy for 'a diet of whole foods, eschewing processed foods such as white sugar and grasses (including seed oils)".

From my perspective the major sticking point is cutting out wheat. This video might help her:

Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                              X