X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium Deficiency and Constipation

We in the US may not be getting enough Mg and Ca from our water. See:

Magnesium-Deficiency Catastrophe: The Magnesium Web Site
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

While I do not suffer from constipation I think a lack of magnesium may be causing leg cramps for me.

Comment

One of the few supps I actually use! Mag, potassium and D3. Keeps the leg cramps away, at long last!
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Interesting, I once years ago had a Doctor tell me that there wasn't so much a calcium deficiency in our diets as a lack of Magnesium. She had taken a continuing education on the topic and when she came back she started testing her Patients for hypomagnesemia and found that almost none came back normal.

Comment

I use magnesium oil (spray), it is supposed to increase DHEA levels absorbed through the skin. I can spray it behind the knee and it reduces/removes any "restless" leg feeling. Burns slightly.

Comment

By self experiment, I've now found that 1600 mg of Mg cures my constipation. But I think this must be too much. Now I need to find out how to balance maybe 1200mg Mg with other minerals and possibly vitamins. Maybe I've been seriously defficient in Mg for most of my life. I've noticed that uping the Mg has also eliminated muscle shaking in my fingers. I used to play the paino a lot, and now I don't have the same control over my fingers. With the increased Mg, my hands respond much better.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              One of the few supps I actually use! Mag, potassium and D3. Keeps the leg cramps away, at long last!
              What ratios of the 3 do you use?

Comment

me too,I can spray it behind the knee and it reduces/removes any "restless" leg feeling. Burns slightly.thanks

Comment

No other chemicals seem to be needed for Mg absorbtion. Magnesium Chloride is the best absorbed. Don't eat nuts (phytates) close in time to taking MgCl or eating.

Mg sprays and oils are good for absorbtion but will do least to reduce IBS.

The above is what my reading has produced. If I've got it wrong, please let me know. I was amazed to find that I have all the symptons of Mg deficiency, and some I've had all my life.
                  1.Insulin resistance.
                  2.Constipation.
                  3.Migraines.
                  4.Restless leg syndrome.
                  5.Cramping.
                  6.Hypertension.
                  7.Fibromyalgia.

Comment

Burns slightly.

Comment

I feel it is virtually impossible to be Calcium deficient on a primal/paleo WOE (unless you're doing it wrong). Standard recommendation for Calcium and Magnesium ratio is 2:1, but people are not the same and do not always follow standard way of life.

I wouldn't worry too greatly over magnesium overdose, allow your symptoms to be your guide (bowel tolerance, muscle cramping, etc.). If you are taking higher dose of magnesium, it may not be a horrible idea to occasionally eat more greens (spinach, kale, bok choy). However, with increased Calcium and Vitamin D intake....do not forget Vitamin K2 supplementation.

Potassium and Sodium need to be geared more in a ratio that favors Potassium. 3:1 or 4:1. On the SAD diet the ratio is greatly reversed. Being Primal I think we actually can be quite lacking in sodium (not everyone). For me personally, I find that it is good for me to be able to use Sea Salt pretty freely when ever the opportunity arises.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
                        I feel it is virtually impossible to be Calcium deficient on a primal/paleo WOE (unless you're doing it wrong). Standard recommendation for Calcium and Magnesium ratio is 2:1, but people are not the same and do not always follow standard way of life.

I wouldn't worry too greatly over magnesium overdose, allow your symptoms to be your guide (bowel tolerance, muscle cramping, etc.). If you are taking higher dose of magnesium, it may not be a horrible idea to occasionally eat more greens (spinach, kale, bok choy). However, with increased Calcium and Vitamin D intake....do not forget Vitamin K2 supplementation.

Potassium and Sodium need to be geared more in a ratio that favors Potassium. 3:1 or 4:1. On the SAD diet the ratio is greatly reversed. Being Primal I think we actually can be quite lacking in sodium (not everyone). For me personally, I find that it is good for me to be able to use Sea Salt pretty freely when ever the opportunity arises.
                        Thank you Stephen, that helps. I read that along with Mg, Boron and Vit.s D, C, E, and K are also needed for Ca absorbtion. Do you also have suggeted ratios for those?

Comment

Working...
                        X