No announcement yet.

Why weren't the Victorians fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stout woman link was a history of ladies undergarments, specifically girdles, corsets and stuff like that.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think fatness is nothing new. I think the increased number of people who are very overfat is, and I think the earlier age at which more and more people are experiencing weight issues is a newer development, but well-to-do people have had issues with weight throughout most of history. The plump matron is a Victorian stereotype for a reason, as is the rich fat man. Overabundance of particular sorts of foods without the need to do physical work does have an effect. Other factors also play a role in modern health problems, but fatness is not new, just increasingly common.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

owly, everybody knows no one was fat until 10 years ago
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Oh right, the obesity epidemic. Better watch out, the fatz is contagious! It's worse than zombies. Everyone knows eating brains won't make you fat.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

i catched it
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Working...
            X