Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vitamin D3 Supplementation: Useless or even Harmful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the non-paleo sources I've heard advocating Vitamin D3 actually go one step further and say that endogenous D3 (from the sun) is bad, and supplementation is the only way you can get good Vitamin D3 (this is in direct contrast to Dr. Michael Eades, who noted that endogenous Vitamin D is much healthier and has a larger half-life)
    All I'm going to say is that this is absolute tosh. The best place to get Vit D is the sun. Unfortunately, I live in Canada so the sun is gone and isn't coming back until spring. I'll be supplementing until then.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
      All I'm going to say is that this is absolute tosh. The best place to get Vit D is the sun. Unfortunately, I live in Canada so the sun is gone and isn't coming back until spring. I'll be supplementing until then.
      Assuming you can still make it from the sun, yes i agree
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Vitamin D: 1 Billion People Worldwide Are Vitamin D Deficient or Insufficient - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Suppversity has a lot of studies and data on vitamin D.

Comment

If you watch the Directlabs.com site they usually run a vitamin d test at discount a few times a year. $39 I think and then if you google for a coupon code you should be able to get 10% off or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBrennan View Post
            Although I trust the "consensus" among the paleo community that Vitamin D supplementation is critical - and myself and family members have been supplementing because of this - I've recently started to become a little dubious about the D3 supplements. My reasons for this odd feeling are:

1) No discernable change in my body since I began supplementing
            2) The fact that D3 is, suddenly, being pushed by big pharma and the other usual suspects who advocate harmful things, and
            3) All of the non-paleo sources I've heard advocating Vitamin D3 actually go one step further and say that endogenous D3 (from the sun) is bad, and supplementation is the only way you can get good Vitamin D3 (this is in direct contrast to Dr. Michael Eades, who noted that endogenous Vitamin D is much healthier and has a larger half-life).

You have to test your Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D. If it is not within normal ranges, you need to get sun exposure and or vitamin D3 supplements. The D generated from sun is superior because it is sulfated form of D3 and other beneficial stuff is generated in addition. But this only works if you are out in the sun midday when UVB rays are able to penetrate atmosphere and hits your skin. Depending on your geography, whether you work indoors, or season, you may not be able to get enough sun exposure, so supplementation is beneficial. Supplementation is harmful is you have high serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. That is why you need to test. You can order a test yourself at DirectLabs.com or there are home self-tests. Supplementation of D3 may also be harmful if it is not balanced by adequate vitamin A.

Just because you are seeing No discernable change in my body does not mean that vitamin D is not working. It works on a cellular level so you can not "feel" it. It works by modulating your immune system so that you do not get autoimmune conditions and part of its job description is to prevent cancer.

By the way, anyone with any autoimmune condition should have their vitamin D levels checked.

Comment

I work outside (for the last 7 years), and when I was tested a couple of years ago I was at 18. 6-8 months of avg. 10,000 IU/day got me up to 36.
              I need to get tested again to see where I'm at.

Disclaimer: I live in the Pacific Northwest. Sun? What sun?
              "Wait! I'll fix it!"
              "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
              "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

Working...
              X