Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo vs PCOS

Hi everyone,

So I'm soon going to be starting the paleo diet, but have read conflicting reviews about how it may affect my PCOS - Polycystic ovary syndrome.

It seems that anything that increases certain hormones can increase the symptoms of PCOS, which trust me aren't good ones (excess hair growth, massive weight gain, infertility, irregular periods, erratic hormones to name a few), but that over all eating the low GI and low carb diets will help the symptoms.

They are so conflicting that I just don't know what to do really and would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks so much,
    Jodie

What you should do is give it a try. 60-90 days. And then see if your symptoms improve.

I was casually (i.e., without tests or ultrasounds) diagnosed with PCOS about six years ago by a lazy doctor who was kind of a jerk. That said, I did fit the type (overweight, blood sugar issues, thyroid problems, some black hairs popping up on my chest and neck), so whatever. Anyway, here's the point: I went paleo 1.5 years ago. I did not lose amazing amounts of weight (lowest I got was 153 or so), but I felt better, I look better, and I'm fertile.

That said, I never tried to get pregnant when I was supposedly diagnosed with PCOS, so who knows? But really -- give the diet a try, a real, really-real try, and see if it helps. I also tried the low-GI thing for a while (it's supposed to help hypothyroidism), but it made me hungry and cranky and didn't help. I think there's something to this whole eliminate inflammatory foods things, and paleo will definitely do that.

Good luck.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I don't have experience with this, but there are a bunch of success stories regarding PCOS on this forum. I also subscribe to this blog: Paleo For Women
      You might find some great info there. She has a book about PCOS coming out very shortly!
      You don't have to be sick to get better.
      Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
      Primal start: 1/2/2012
      My Primal Journal
      Living, loving and learning.

Comment

hello pcos sibling

at the very very least, cutting out grains will help you immensely. when i started primal, i didn't try to low carb or anything, just cut out grains and eat whatever. if it was a bowl full of sweet potatoes i wanted then that's what i had.

all my erroneous body aches went away, my periods normalized, skin tags, darkened armpits and extra hair went away, my hair stopped falling out and began to regrow

i can't say if i can carry a baby to term or not, i haven't tried to get pregnant, but pleeeeeease, at least try it for a while
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

I found that for me, dairy got rid of the excess hair when I first went Paleo.
          Then I started drinking full fat cream and bam! hair came back full force.

Comment

as a butter fan (butter level: paula deen), my sympathies
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              as a butter fan (butter level: paula deen), my sympathies
              I think that's what i'm worried about is how much of the paleo diet 'good fats' should I not eat because they are going to increase the hormones that mess up my hair growth and weight gain?

I'm just nervous about putting on more weight when i've already got too much on. I've been eating on FODMAP for a while now anyway, so gluten free and minimal dairy, but someone mentioned that trans fats (any fats that you have to melt down) will be a problem... which rules out so many things on this diet....

I know i should try it and see, just wanted to make a few enquiries first, just not sure who too.

I had the ultrasound on my ovaries to confirm i had PCOS a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Screamer View Post
                but someone mentioned that trans fats (any fats that you have to melt down) will be a problem... which rules out so many things on this diet....
                am not sure what you mean here? melted butter or coconut oil pose no dangers as far as trans-fats go. it's the crap hydrogenated fats and seed oils that pose risk and abet inflammation.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I think that's what i'm worried about is how much of the paleo diet 'good fats' should I not eat because they are going to increase the hormones that mess up my hair growth and weight gain?
                  my personal experience is real fats (butter, coconut oil, good olive oil) did not screw my hormones up. just like every woman with PCOS has different symptoms, no 2 women will react exactly the same, hormonally, to dairy

one thing i have seen is a lot of women, pcos or not, do better without dairy. i just choose to keep it around and buy 'organic'
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

lol

Comment

I have PCOS. Since I've gone primal I've lost a lot of weight and my periods have come back. It doesn't seem to do much for the hair growth/hair loss though. :P
                    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

It has not changed the facial hair issue, but my ovaries hardly ever get cysts anymore. And after nearly a decade of infertility, I have birthed two babies since switching! I may not be thin, but my body is certainly healthier. It can be different for everyone, but I find dairy fat is the most problematic fat for hormone issues, but only if it is conventional. Grassfed butter and a bit of artisanal cheese is fine for me, but cheap dairy from the regular store causes me to flare up rather quickly.

Comment

Consider a consult with your OB/GYN and request a script for Pregnitude. It has helped quite a bit with my wife's hirsutism. She's been primal since April, lost 43lbs so far and "fingers crossed" she returning to a somewhat normal cycle. It's worth your while and there are plenty of studies to boot the efficacy of low-carb, low-GI consumption and their positive effects on PCOS.

Comment

Research iodine and PCOS. Much PCOS is caused by an iodine deficiency.

Comment

i have pcos. i take iodine. i still have pcos.

i stop showing pcos symptoms when i don't eat wheat.

research pcos and wheat, see what else you come up with
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

lol

Comment

Hey all,

I have PCOS as well, and always seem to find that anything low-carb worked so well. However, that was when I was trying absolutely any diet to lose weight. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and have been on the pill. I took myself off a year ago because I turned my viewpoint to more holistic, natural things. I had my cycle almost normally, which was an amazing surprise!

Side effect: not being on the pill elevated my testorterone by a mere 2 points. This was enough to cause me to not to lose weight, no matter what I was doing. I counted calories and was exercising an hour a day: not overdoing it, but enough that I should have been losing weight. I went to my endo with a full set of lab reports, and that was the only thing different between me on the pill and me off. The catch is that if I lose weight, my testosterone may decrease. Hello frustration!

I went back on the pill back in August because it is important to me to lose weight. I've gained a little bit since then, due to not watching what I was eating at all and zero exercise. I'm a notorious yo-yo dieter, and I'm so sick of doing that to my mind and to my body. I started researching this once my friend mentioned it, and I was hooked. I was looking for something that demphasized grains and explained why. I'm a huge research nut, so all the studies and everything totally clicks with my brain.

I'm on day 3, and I'm curious to see where it leads. I'm hopeful that I'll lose weight, and then go off the pill, and be able to stay off!

Thanks for having this thread, nice to know other people are experiencing similar things!

Comment

Working...
                              X