is it best to eat fish instead of taking fish oil supplementation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
    It really is important to attend to the source and farming practices. Like beef, fish fed on farmed food diets will not have the fatty acid content you desire.
    i simply don't buy any farmed fish anymore. the flavor is awful and they eat an utterly unnatural diet of soy and corn. they barely swim and live in very crowded conditions. complete yuk in every way. i eat canned wild salmon a few times per week and fresh local wild fish or oysters at least once per week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

We are fortunate to live in an area where wild-caught alaskan salmon is easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. Our son, as a matter of fact, spent the summer in Alaska, on a fishing boat, hand catching wild salmon! (I think his Omega 3 levels are probably pretty darned fantastic right now - pretty much all they eat on the boats during the season is the fish) He brought us home some fresh/frozen fillets that he caught.

That being said, I also take the Carlson cod liver oil. I have always been a huge believer in cod liver oil, especially since I have used it, successfully, several times to ward off strep throat [imagine long, detailed anecdotal account]. Now, I'm using it more often to ensure enough O3s.

Once I am in "perfect health", I might back down the fish oil... for right now, I consider it to just be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
        We are fortunate to live in an area where wild-caught alaskan salmon is easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. Our son, as a matter of fact, spent the summer in Alaska, on a fishing boat, hand catching wild salmon! (I think his Omega 3 levels are probably pretty darned fantastic right now - pretty much all they eat on the boats during the season is the fish) He brought us home some fresh/frozen fillets that he caught.

That being said, I also take the Carlson cod liver oil. I have always been a huge believer in cod liver oil, especially since I have used it, successfully, several times to ward off strep throat [imagine long, detailed anecdotal account]. Now, I'm using it more often to ensure enough O3s.

Once I am in "perfect health", I might back down the fish oil... for right now, I consider it to just be a good idea.
        My son, as a toddler, had tons of sweet potato colored ear wax. To boost his language abilities (autism), I started using Carlson's CLO for brain development (1 generous teaspoon/day). Within 2 weeks, all of that ear wax formation had disappeared.

I started researching, and found in a veterinary journal (yes, dogs), that excessive ear wax was a sign of an Omega 3 fatty acid deficiency. Although my son is not a German Shepherd cited in the study, I attribute his physical changes to the fatty acids.

I kept him on fish oil and cod liver oil for several years. Essential fatty acids are a mighty force.
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

That is fascinating. I've always had weird ear wax issues. Huh.

I'm going to go chug some fish oil now...

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
            My son, as a toddler, had tons of sweet potato colored ear wax. To boost his language abilities (autism), I started using Carlson's CLO for brain development (1 generous teaspoon/day). Within 2 weeks, all of that ear wax formation had disappeared.
            wow. amazing. am hearing more and more about parents experimenting with their children's diets to help with autism and learning disorders and having brilliant success.

way to be proactive.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
            X