Ask a biochemist.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Frankocean

Looks like I skipped you above. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I think zero carb is:

1. Rarely if ever necessary

2. Healthy although I would personally hedge my bets with lots of organ meat

3. A good way to determine food sensitivities

4. Probably not ideal even if healthy.

My week looks like:

1 or two fasts dinner to dinner. No breakfast typically, but I'm trying to gain weight so I'm eating breakfast whenever I'm not too lazy.

ZC meals when I'm lazy, eggs, tinned sardines, ground meat, pre-roasted chicken. Typically once every two or three days.

LC to VLC the rest of the time (typically sub 50-60g carbs), with the exception of bananas or sweet potatoes 0-2 times a week and 1-2 high carb meals (carbs typically from rice, potatoes, beans, corn).

Heavy, Stronglifts-style weight workout once per week

HIIT bodybuilders or rowing machine 0-1 a week.

20 minute walk to/from work 2-4 times a day and 30-60 minutes of walking with dog near daily.

Use no shampoo or soap, still use deodorant but make sure it has no aluminum. Take contrast showers most days.

Use f.lux to help synchronize sleep cycles with sun.

Drink filtered water and tea.

Any other details you'd like?

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

Grokologist, what's your educational background? And where are your vegetables?

When you fast, do you feel like you're starving? I will literally wake up in the middle of the night ravenous, quite obnoxious. I'd like to try another fast, but my hunger can be extremely nagging and my body seems to be telling me to give in. Is this just a mind over matter thing?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

BA International Relations (Politics, Philosophy, Economics).

I would have had another in Molecular Biology if the administration were more cooperative.

I'm presently in a PhD program in Biochemistry doing research on aging.

Honestly, though, most of my knowledge is self-taught (I skipped a couple of years' prerequisites on that basis if I might be permitted to toot my own horn). I've always had an obsessive personality and I spend several hours a day reading nonfiction materials of one sort or another.

As for when I fast, I usually feel great. I feel alert and energized without the anxious feeling I associate with caffeine. The hunger I feel is qualitatively different from the gnawing, insistent hunger I felt back when I was near-vegan. I tried to fast back then, and it was extremely difficult. Not so now.

As for my veggies, they're pre-chopped or grated in bags in my crisper drawer so I can just toss them in a pan with some butter and eat them (more time to read that way (I wish I were kidding)). I may underestimate the number of carbs I get daily, since I've never really made a concerted effort to keep track.

Comment

You are absolutely 100% awesome! Thank you so much for the info. I checked out Weston price and it seems like I am on the right track. My favorite food ever is chicken livers and I was thinking I was eating too many but it seems I am alright. Eggs, cheap and easy. Keeping my fat up. Had a lb of fatty roasted beef for dinner with mushrooms/onions, and LOTS of fat juice over spinach…sounds like the track to fertility I hope! Thanks again!

Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Molecular Grokologist, you are a treasure trove of information.

Are there any good online sources to learn about basically every topic you've covered?

If not, what are your favorite texts?

I have a limited science background (APs in bio, chem, and physics from high school but I dislike labs so I've avoided any more science classes in college), so I'd prefer sources that start from a somewhat basic level and get more advanced.

Thanks for all your answers thus far.

Comment

Greg B,

I would recommend finding out what your local university uses for their bio and chemistry classes and seeing if they'll give you a syllabus for the class. You'd be surprised how fast you can work through a semester's worth of material when you mean it. Check the textbooks out from the university library if they'll let you or make time to read them on site. Just ignore the bit about how helpful statins are.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/ isn't something I've used, but it looks EXCELLENT. If you read every page on this site, you would be pretty damned knowledgeable about basic biochem.

Comment

One that has been eluding me for a little while but hasn't been in my consciousness... Can medium-chain SFAs like lauric acid and caprylic acid from coconuts be an adequate replacement for palmitic and stearic acid in the functions and benefits that are attributed to them? Also, to what extent can SFAs synthesized from glucose serve as replacements?

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

MCTs are metabolized in a completely different fashion from other SFAs and never make it past the liver without being converted to ketones, so they are not a replacement for most purposes.

As far as SFA synthesized in the liver from glucose it doesn't have the same effect on blood lipids or calcium uptake. It CAN be used to synthesize membrane lipids. Were there other functions or benefits you had in mind?

Comment

That confirms my suspicions about MCTs. I was eating lean chicken with a tbs of coconut oil as a replacement for fattier meat but I guess I'll have to get more fatty meat or use butter instead.

The other ones are from Mary Enig's article. Perhaps for each one give me a Yay or nay for MCT LTT and glucose?

1. Saturated fatty acids constitute at least 50% of the cell membranes. They are what gives our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.

2. They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.38

3. They lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.39 They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins, such as Tylenol.40

4. They enhance the immune system.41

5. They are needed for the proper utilization of essential fatty acids.

Elongated omega-3 fatty acids are better retained in the tissues when the diet is rich in saturated fats. 42

6. Saturated 18-carbon stearic acid and 16-carbon palmitic acid are the preferred foods for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.43 The heart draws on this reserve of fat in times of stress.

7. Short- and medium-chain saturated fatty acids have important antimicrobial properties. They protect us against harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm#45

Also to the best of your knowledge, how do MTT effect blood lipids? Most pro-coconut marketing sources say a raise in HDL and reducing in general LDL but I suspect bs.

Thanks again! I'm seriously going to bookmark this and read it over a few times.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

MCT

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. I think so

5. I don't think so

6. No

7. Obviously.

Glucose

1. Yes

2. No.

3. No.

4. No

5. I don't think so

6. Yes

7. Obviously not

MCTs raise HDL (by quite a bit in some people) and have different effects on the total LDL of different people. In general, however, whether they raise, lower, or keep LDL particle count the same, they're going to tend to switch it over to pattern A (large, fluffy, safe, helpful).

Comment

Molecular Grokologist: In order to be in the phD program for biochem or say, physiology, is it necessary to have specialized in it during the undergrad/master's years?

Like Greg, Im not crazy about the labs (which are often poorly taught and applied to the curriculum), but have a general knowledge in the areas we have discussed. I guess Im asking- are the undergrad sciences a necessary evil if we'd like to pursue post-grad work in that area?

second question- can we borrow your brain and keep it?

Comment

vdn,

No, but it does help. I was faced with a lot of skepticism many of the places that I applied because of my unusual BA. You're going to need to take lots of science classes if you want to get into a good PhD program, but you may be able to place out of some classes or skip prereqs if you're at the right institution. The labs are probably going to be necessary. In fact, it would help a lot of you joined a lab to do research as well. Doing extremely well on the GRE subject test for your area of interest will go a long way toward compensating for anything which could be perceived as lacking in your courseload. Join a journal club (most campuses have at least one run by the pre-med kids).

Comment

I gotta say, I am loving this thread.
                            Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                            Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                            I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

I started reading about the human vomeronasal apparatus and came to the conclusion that it's likely less vestigial than it appears. I think pheromones of some sort are possibly a neglected aspect of human interaction. It's actually a less kooky viewpoint than you might expect these days.

Additionally, as I learned more and more about organic chemistry, I was shocked by how many of the compounds in my shampoo and body wash were plausibly able to pass through my skin. Even if it wasn't a severe problem, I figured it was very unlikely to be good.

I read about doing without soap and shampoo on, of all places, lewrockwell.com (a libertarian website) and I decided to go for it. I didn't tell my wife since I figured she would freak out at the idea. One day she mentioned that she'd been shifting over to my side of the bed when I got up and wearing my shirts after I took them off more and I spilled the beans.

Edit: Also, this post should actually be after FrankOcean's. The time stamps must be wonky.
                              Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

@MG.

Thanks Sir you are a Gentleman. Im amazed how much our weeks look a like.

I too do 2IF per week (Wens and Sun) and also tend to have ZC breakfest's. LC or VLC the rest of the time.

I dont do weight lifts yet and have one HC day.

But hey what's the beef with shampoo and soap??

Comment

Working...
                                X