No announcement yet.

Ask a biochemist.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You mean I should stop licking the cutting board?

Comment

• Originally posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
      , I'm also not boiling my hands in lye every time I handle raw meat.
      Hahaha.

Yeah handling raw meat, especially poultry again after that bout of veganism was a mindf@#$$.

Comment

• Grokologist- I have seen research that low-dose aspirin doesn't prevent fatal heart attacks- only non-fatal ones and that the side effects aren't worth the risk: http://gordonresearch.com/answers/the_aspirin_myth.html
        http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...aspirin03.html

I noticed over the years that so many of my customers when I worked supplement retail (for a decade) who were on aspirin therapy had excessively thin blood and very weak capillaries. Totally anecdotal, but I saw a pattern of excessive bruising and blood pooling under the skin. Same thing with people on Warfarin.

Israeli cardiologists are using ginger instead of aspirin: http://www.herballegacy.com/Whitney_Medicinal.html
        I think nattokinase would also be good to reduce fibrin in the blood.

BTW- I think all your other recommendations are excellent and spot-on!
        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Thanks, MG! Very interesting about the high protein and aging. . .maybe I'll try occasionally having my BAS with veggies and dressing and avocado and a sprinkling of nuts and skipping the meat.

Comment

• Question about alcohol metabolism?

My husband and I have been 90% primal for approx. 3 weeks now. We have always enjoyed red wine with the occasional dinner. Since starting a primal lifestyle we have both noticed that on the few occasions we have indulged it hits us pretty quickly. Feel pretty intoxicated after 1 glass, but also the effect seems to go away quickly and no hangover. Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrogs View Post
              Question about alcohol metabolism?

My husband and I have been 90% primal for approx. 3 weeks now. We have always enjoyed red wine with the occasional dinner. Since starting a primal lifestyle we have both noticed that on the few occasions we have indulged it hits us pretty quickly. Feel pretty intoxicated after 1 glass, but also the effect seems to go away quickly and no hangover. Any ideas?
              Ugh - I second this. However, I don't drink much (a glass of wine with dinner once or twice a month), but I had a third of a vodka soda last night and got a headache almost immediately. It went away quickly too but still... what gives?

Comment

• I hear the different alcohol tolerance a lot from people on primal/paleo diets. I have two theories:

1) when your liver is less beat up by one thing and another, detoxifying enzymes aren't at super-high levels. Alcoholics and other people with certain chronic toxin exposures have an increased capacity to deal with them over typical healthy people.

2) Starches slow the absorption of alcohol because they soak it up in the gut. Less starch means it hits your system faster.

I'm sure there are tons of clever explanations I haven't thought of, though.
                Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

• What's your opinion on "food combining?" That we should only eat foods that digest well together so as to maximize our nutritional absorption and create less stress on our digestive systems? How much does it matter if at all? And what about big and complex meals having less nutrient absorption than smaller ones with less stuff? It makes sense that it takes longer to digest a wider variety of things but I'm having a hard time believing that it has an effect on nutrient absorption or "stress" on the digestive system? Grok probably only ate one or a few things at a time so there's at least a bit of grounding in paleo nutrition.

What's the low-down?
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• Well, it's a little tough to give a blanket assessment. If you have a very low animal protein intake, I would be unsurprised if complementary proteins make some difference (although it's not actually crucial despite what the conventional vegetarian cautionary line is).

I suspect that's not really what you're talking about, though. A quick googling reveals some other food combining rules. Are these the sort of thing you're talking about?

The most important rule, is this: Don't mix starch foods with protein foods at the same meal.

Here are the other principles which proponents of food combining adhere to:

1. Eat starches and acids at separate meals. Acids
                    neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch
                    digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation.

2. Eat carbohydrate foods and protein foods at
                    separate meals. Protein foods require an acid
                    medium for digestion.

3. Eat only one kind of protein food at a meal.

4. Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals.
                    The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the
                    digestive acids required for protein digestion.
                    Undigested proteins putrefy in bacterial
                    decomposition and produces some potent poisons.

5. Eat proteins and fats at separate meals. Some
                    foods, especially nuts, are over 50% fat and
                    require hours for digestion.

6. Eat proteins and sugars (fruits) at separate
                    meals.

7. Eat starchy foods and sugars (fruits) at
                    separate meals. Fruits undergo no digestion in the
                    stomach and are held up if eaten with foods which
                    require digestion in the stomach.

8. Eat melons alone. Melons combine with almost no
                    other food.

9. Forget the desserts. Eaten on top of meals they
                    lie heavy on the stomach, requiring no digestion
                    there, and ferment. Bacteria turn them into
                    alcohols, acetic acids and vinegars.

Comment

• Yeah those are them for the most part I'm not going to dispute that certain foods slow the digestion of others and that multiple foods take longer to digest than fewer, that's very logical, but I want to know to what degree it would be of consequence regarding health.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• Dear MG, could you have a look at this post?
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showthread.php?7225-How-Many-Carbs-(Net-too)-Do-YOU-eat-in-a-day

Did I make any serious mistakes?
                        Last edited by Mirrorball; 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM.
                        Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                        Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                        No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                        Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                          Dear MG, could you have a look at this post?
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showthread.php?7225-How-Many-Carbs-(Net-too)-Do-YOU-eat-in-a-day

Did I make any serious mistakes?
                          You mean this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...6460#post96460

Easier to get to.

Comment

• MG, a friend of mine just had a baby, and the baby tested positive for VLCAD... deficiency(?). She was always borderline vegetarian, and I was just curious if that could have anything to do with it. I know it's a genetic disorder, but it seems as though the child will have to eat much the same way as his mother, and I can't help but think there may be a connection that due to more than chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suki View Post
                              Thanks a lot.
                              Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                              Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                              No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                              Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

• The most important rule, is this: Don't mix starch foods with protein foods at the same meal.

Here are the other principles which proponents of food combining adhere to:

1. Eat starches and acids at separate meals. Acids
                                neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch
                                digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation.

2. Eat carbohydrate foods and protein foods at
                                separate meals. Protein foods require an acid
                                medium for digestion.

3. Eat only one kind of protein food at a meal.

4. Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals.
                                The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the
                                digestive acids required for protein digestion.
                                Undigested proteins putrefy in bacterial
                                decomposition and produces some potent poisons.

5. Eat proteins and fats at separate meals. Some
                                foods, especially nuts, are over 50% fat and
                                require hours for digestion.

6. Eat proteins and sugars (fruits) at separate
                                meals.

7. Eat starchy foods and sugars (fruits) at
                                separate meals. Fruits undergo no digestion in the
                                stomach and are held up if eaten with foods which
                                require digestion in the stomach.

8. Eat melons alone. Melons combine with almost no
                                other food.

9. Forget the desserts. Eaten on top of meals they
                                lie heavy on the stomach, requiring no digestion
                                there, and ferment. Bacteria turn them into
                                alcohols, acetic acids and vinegars.
                                Ok, here's why these are stupid. Starches and proteins really do require different pH to digest. The thing is, proteins mostly digest in the stomach (very acidic), and the stomach contents, called chyme, are released into the gut. Secretions from the pancreas and gall bladder then alkalize the chyme so that starches can be digested and emulsify the fats so that they can be absorbed. This happens just fine whether or not you "food combine".

Mixed types of protein in one meal are not an issue and sometimes help the protein be absorbed more efficiently.

Acidic foods actually stimulate salivation and acid secretion. That's why even dilute cider vinegar helps make up for insufficient stomach acid when taken with a meal.

Melons are just high-fructose, high water fruit. Nothing special there.

Now, having enough stomach acid to make good use of the protein is important, and you might benefit from not having a ton of starches at the same time as protein if you have insufficient stomach acid. Protein and carbohydrates are both digested more slowly and efficiently when eaten with fat, and carbs enter the system more slowly when you eat vinegar.

None of this is really worth worrying about. Eating a variety of foods actually helps some nutrients, like iron, be absorbed more efficiently when you combine plant and animal sources. Eat food you enjoy because you will absorb more nutrients from it (seriously).

@ Mirrorball

Your post seems accurate to me. I might add that the insulin theory doesn't really preclude the lipotoxicity theory. It could be that fat accumulates and is locked in by insulin but eventually fills up too much and begins to spill out.

Comment

Working...
                                X