Dietary Cholesterol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I wonder what the implication are for someone who, like me, has no gallbladder. Am I constantly leaking "free cholesterol"?

M.

My brother in law has no gall bladder, is overweight, but has low cholesterol numbers. I searched the internet and found that the liver uses cholesterol to make bile, which breaks down fat. The gall bladder stores bile, so no gall bladder equals no stored bile equals the liver is constantly pulling cholesterol from the blood to make bile.

This explains my brother in law's low cholesterol count and also why he can't eat fat without running to the bathroom afterward.

Not much fun that and I also wonder if his poor liver will hold out given that it never gets a rest from making bile.

The article did say that people adapt and can live perfectly normal lives without a gall bladder...

I bookmark everything and for some reason can't find the links I need or I would post them here.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
      If we make our own cholesterol, I wonder what the function of ingested cholesterol is?

M.
      I read that the liver manufactures 2/3 of the cholesterol in our bodies. Took some time but eventually I wondered what the liver uses to manufacture the cholesterol, I mean it must use some building blocks to create cholesterol. I could swear it was a NYTimes article on cholesterol, but again, can't seem to find my bookmark (time for a bookmark purge I think), that explained the liver manufactures cholesterol from saturated fat.

Now I wonder, does human body fat count as saturated? If I ate zero saturated fat would my body be able to manufacture cholesterol from my body fat?

It caused me to actually add up the amount of saturated fat I was ingesting in one day and I got 180+ mg! Love some dark chocolate, eggs and coconut oil and walnuts and sunflower seeds and chicken skin.

Middle age women should eat about 47-60 mg saturated fat a day I think I read, so time to pare down a bit I'm thinking.

My last cholesterol numbers had jumped by +70 TC and LDL, a bit less for HDL (happy about this).

I admit I felt sluggish, heavy and shall I say, saturated, eating so much healthy saturated fat. (I had/have some heart issues).

I am having thyroid issues that can also cause high cholesterol counts, so I am also attempting to eat less goitrogenic foods.

Comment

Now I wonder, does human body fat count as saturated? If I ate zero saturated fat would my body be able to manufacture cholesterol from my body fat?
        The fat on your body is a mix of fat you ate and fat you produced from carbohydrates. Fat you make yourself is usually saturated. The fat you ate is whatever it was when you ate it.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

Primarily it is saturated and monounsaturated. However, in a thread here someone showed a chart wherein evidently the average Polyunsaturated level of human fat has risen from ~7% in the 50's to upwards of 30% today.

I wonder what the implications are re: losing weight if that's how it is.

M.

Comment

Ewww.

So human fat composition is similar to that of pigs today?!

We are no longer good eatin' for a carnivore!

Comment

Yeah. Pigs seem pretty similar to us in that regard.

Rummaged pigs are also very low in PUFA...

M.

Comment

Working...
              X