Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Anti-Paleo Screed..please refute at your leisure!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Anti-Paleo Screed..please refute at your leisure!

Forks Over Knives | The Paleo Diet Is Uncivilized (And Unhealthy and Untrue)

Any help here from the group?
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

The forks over knives article did warn you that we paleo/primal types are uncivilized. lol
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Very true... very true...

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
      ~ Abraham Lincoln

Comment

First off, welcome jllundqu. Most people don't seem to know about the search function, so not surprised you didn't, but honestly it is rather helpful tool. And will keep people from turning a new (and unnecessary) thread into 100 comments about how there are other similar threads that already exist.

Also, just an FYI, because I figure I might as well say it nicely, before someone else says it not nicely. Not sure if by "refute" you mean on the actual blog post itself, or just on this thread. If the former...There's a long history on here of similar "OMG, there's this totally anti-primal blog post somewhere on the interwebs... GO GET EM" thread requests that usually equally degrade. The purpose of the forum is not to be a reactionary comment army for whatever ridiculous health blog post out there, but rather for our own enjoyment, education and edification. The article linked is by a guy who wrote a book called "The Starch Solution" and it's on a website who's entire niche focus is vegetarianism. Our time is better spent focused on the people who are hungry for paleo/primal info, than being comment trolls on ignorant blogs.

If by refute, you mean the latter, well... there's a lot of threads and posts on MDA that likely already address the issues they raise in the article. If you feel it's necessarily to refute, feel free to do so. Perhaps a blog post of your own somewhere, with point-counterpoint. But really, what's the point?

Seriously though, glad to see you're on board with Primal and on the forums. And congrats on your progress so far. I'm heading over now to check out your journal.
        My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Comment

Thank you,

my intention was not to send trolls to another site, but rather to start a discussion here about the contents of the article. I appreciate your thoughtful response.

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I love Denise Minger. “Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS
            She's my favorite refuter. If I have specific questions, searching MDA or her site usually helps put things to rest for me.
            You don't have to be sick to get better.
            Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
            Primal start: 1/2/2012
            My Primal Journal
            Living, loving and learning.

Comment

Originally posted by jllundqu View Post
              That article is filled with so many hyperbolic, over-the-top, non-academic, and just plain bullshit claims that it isn't worthy of a point-by-point criticism. The article was not written in a sufficiently intelligent and scholarly manner to merit a scholarly response. The article was written with the intent of generating a reaction - not fostering academic discussion.

Also, consider the author - he's selling a book called "The Starch Solution" - think he has an incentive to promote a plant-based diet as much as possible?

There are legitimate criticisms of certain aspects of Paleo, but the article you linked is not an attempt to discuss/develop legitimate criticisms. It's an attempt to sensationalize, and sell books.
              Last edited by jsa23; 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
                That article is filled with so many hyperbolic, over-the-top, non-academic, and just plain bullshit claims that it isn't worthy of a point-by-point criticism. The article was not written in a sufficiently intelligent and scholarly manner to merit a scholarly response. The article was written with the intent of generating a reaction - not fostering academic discussion.
                How different is that from Denise Minger's writing?

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
                Also, consider the author - he's selling a book called "The Starch Solution" - think he has an incentive to promote a plant-based diet as much as possible?
                How different is that from Mark Sisson? He is selling books and powder.
                Last edited by KathyH; 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I don't need no stinkin' fork or knife to eat meat, just pick it up with me mitts and chew

Comment

The best response to criticism of anything that you feel secure about is, "Okay."
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                      You could have picked virtually any other paleoishsphere blogger and been pretty accurate, but Denise? Dafukman.
                      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

@OP why did you post it twice?
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post

How different is that from Mark Sisson? He is selling books and powder.
                          But Mark does not BLATANTLY misinterpret other diets.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

I particularly enjoyed the section that talks about how repulsive we are, as that is clearly a scientific basis for refuting a diet. Clearly, repulsiveness is a good basis for criticism of the health benefits of any diet. I can think of a whole host of (what I see as) manufactured slime that vegetarians and vegans go gaga for (tofu anyone?). That's not proof their diets are unhealthy. And how can anyone argue that bone marrow is repulsive...

My gf meat vendor thinks differently, as I'm usually the only one storming them at the farmer's market for liver and heart and lard.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill
                              There's a fancy search bar at the top of this page. Try that before adding to the dozen threads we already have about this. Thanks.
                              Perhaps he's getting aggro from his wife. His previous post would indicate that:

I am 100% sold on Paleo... The diet, the exercise, the whole thing. I've never felt so good and I am getting in great shape.

My wife, however, is not 100% supportive. First off, she is a vegetarian ...
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56654.html

Hi jllundqu,

I don't much care about what the link about the cutlery says about matters it likely doesn't understand and has reasons for not wishing to understand, but if you want to know what the Paleo Diet is about and why it works, I'd go straight to the source:

Amazon.com: The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young (9781118016084): Loren Cordain: Books

Comment

Working...
                              X