Corelation between magnesium and obesity/weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corelation between magnesium and obesity/weight loss

Considering I work at a Walmart as a cashier, when business dies down and we've got nothing to do, we go stand at the end of our isles and wait for customers. In the mean time, we get to stand there and look at all the headlines on the magazine racks. One caught my eye, that eating a diet rich in magnesium can help you lose weight (of course, vitamins and minerals are only a small part (though they make the whole) of the right diet for healthy eating) and can help reduce stress and anxiety and joint and muscle pains. I didn't bother to get the magazine (why should I when I have the internet, after all?) but I did come home and look it up.

So here's a link to an article I found about it, and I figured I would share, since I didn't see anything relating magnesium to weight loss or the deficiency of to obesity.

Magnesium - The Weight Loss Cure

I do agree that magnesium is incredibly important, and that the vast majority of people don't get nearly enough of it. And I do believe it helps the body and brain function better.

I can't say it helps with weight loss, though. I take quite a bit of it - 1000 mg every day - and it keeps me from getting migraines, but I haven't see it make any kind of impact on my weight, for better or for worse.
    Durp.

Comment

Yeah, I take about 600mg daily and it hasn't had any impact on my weight at all. I wish it had.

Comment

How long have you been taking it, though? I would hazard a guess that if you've been taking it for a very long time and eating healthy, or only for a short time, that you might not have noticed any difference made by a magnesium supplement. Maybe it makes a bigger difference in habitually unhealthy eaters?

Comment

I can't speak for others, but I was eating Primal for a few months, then started taking magnesium and have been very faithfully for almost a year now. I haven't seen it make a difference in my weight, though it has made other positive changes, like significantly reducing migraines and eliminating restless leg syndrome. But no difference in my weight.
          Durp.

Comment

I don't take magnesium daily so can't say whether it's helped with weight loss, but (not wanting to be TMI) it's great for helping with PMS symptoms.

Comment

I've been primal for about a year, started taking magnesium about 6 months ago. Weight loss stayed the same as before I started taking it, except for this past month where I've been super stressed out with some personal problems and have actually gained 8lbs.

Comment

That article also talks a lot about magnesium being related to insulin resistance and abdominal fat, neither of which apply to me. I've always had normal blood sugar levels, and I do not carry weight in my abdomen. It's almost all in my legs/butt. Maybe it only helps people who have the abdominal fat/insulin resistance? I don't know, I just know it has no affect on MY weight loss.

Comment

Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to give it a test myself, between my mother and I (if I can convince her to take it every day...) and see what I come up with.

Comment

Hope it works for you! Wish it would make me lose weight, lol!

Comment

Minerals play a role in weight loss, yes.

Comment

To give you all an update: Prior to starting taking magnesium supplements I was 169lbs and on a plateau there. Now, not even two weeks later, I'm 162. I haven't changed anything else.
                        I do, however, as most of my family does, store fat around my middle but have the notorious "chicken legs" (though not as bad as my aunt and my dad does) and quite seriously a very flat butt. So perhaps it is a thing for people with abdominal fat. I'll keep updating everyone as time goes by.

Comment

I've been seriously magnesium deficient (due to IBS and poor diet) and its not pretty (fibromyalgia symptoms, terrible back spasms, etc) so I now take it religiously. I've seen no weight loss I can contribute to Mg. But its quite likely that you will plateau easily if your Mg levels are low. Mg is also required for vitamin D metabolism which can have a big effect on weight loss. I would say research the foods high in Mg, if you get your daily requirements (plus 50-100%), and you don't have any GI issues, then adding Mg will probably not help you. Just keep eating well.
                          ================
                          Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Comment

Magnesium deficiency inhibits carb metabolism.

The irony is that many folk exacerbate this problem when they cut out potatoes.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I noticed the biggest change after we made the complete switch to all grassefed meat and dairy thats when it seemed the mag kicked in for us!

Comment

Working...
                              X