Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously?

I am brand new to the Paleo scene and am just learning about the science and players. Took a look at MS' blog today and saw where he claims to be able to cure Type 2 diabetes in less than one week. Pretty hard to take a claim that seriously. I watched his sugar challenge video and thought it was just a publicity stunt but now wonder if the guy isn't wrapped too tight. Unlike Kurt Harris, MS doesn't give you much info unless you buy his books. Not sure he has given me very much incentive to buy his books. Seems like he is saying you can eat all of the grains/refined carb and sugar you want as long as you do certain things but you don't know what the things are unless you buy his book. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I read a couple of his blog posts, and they seemed to be 'out there' just for attention. I ignore him completely.

Comment

he makes his living off of low-carb refugees. he gets you to eat carbs again. bravo.

other than that, it's a lot of crap. like a horribly distilled ray peat. who makes limited sense, too.

Comment

"If Matt Stone were a weatherman, you would find that he had correctly predicted 12 of the last 3 big storms." Kurt Harris M.D.
        Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
        READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

he's dead on about low carb eventually funkin' you up. been there. done that. he's all about eating a shit ton o sugar and grains though. can't really dig that. i have thanked him personally though. he got my ass out of the low carb daydream. using up all your biochemicals and not rebuilding isn't wise. low carb uses up A LOT! 2 yrs. of low carb/vlc and i unfortunately felt all the terrible symptoms he describes. he's still a douche
          Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I feel a whole lot better since I got 100% off all cereal grains. I am worried about the PUFA's I have been eating in my almonds. I cut back from 2 oz to 1 oz per day which still gives me 3.4 grams of O6. I bought a whole load of almonds on sale and I hate to throw them out, but I think I will toss them just like I tossed my bulgar and flaxseed. Live and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by shannon View Post
              he's dead on about low carb eventually funkin' you up. been there. done that. he's all about eating a shit ton o sugar and grains though. can't really dig that. i have thanked him personally though. he got my ass out of the low carb daydream. using up all your biochemicals and not rebuilding isn't wise. low carb uses up A LOT! 2 yrs. of low carb/vlc and i unfortunately felt all the terrible symptoms he describes. he's still a douche
              Can you spare a fellow grok some reading time and share what the 'symptoms' of low carb/vlc are according to MS? What symptoms did you actually experience?
              (1) I am 100% on-board with the primal exercise blue print. It reduces the problem of exercise down to its simplest form and provides a solution that can be used for a lifetime.

(2) I'm not on-board with the primal diet blue print. In fact, I'm not on-board with any diet plan but a man can hope to find the right answer before it's too late.

Comment

It is hard to take him seriously. I am new here but have been reading pale blogs all year, and his views seem to be out there.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoLogicCheck View Post
                  Can you spare a fellow grok some reading time and share what the 'symptoms' of low carb/vlc are according to MS? What symptoms did you actually experience?
                  I'd be interested to hear about your problems on VLC, I've just read 'The Art and Science of Low Carb living' and 'The Paleo Answer', both great books, and put a very good case acroos to VLC, especially the art and science book.
                  A few problems they say people may encounter is eating too much protien, as this doesnt allow the fat burning to kick in, and maybe more importantly making sure to up the salt intake, as the body dumps sodium on LC.
                  I've gone low carb(50g ish a day) since reading these books, and feel good so far. Just have to make sure you get lots of good fats!
                  Cheers

Comment

My understanding is that MS is a "been there, done that" kinda guy; he's tried a lot of different things and writes about it. I think he has a durned good understanding of metabolism & thryoid function & is way out of the box compared to most health/fitness writers. No, I'm not gonna go there with him when he says gluten intolerance is a myth but the rest of what I've read is pretty good.

Comment

No....no i dont.

Comment

I've been checking out his videos for the last 2 days on youtube. Just do a search for 'Matt Stone 180'. He's dedicated, highly informed and passionate and definitely 180 from Paleo. His basic message 'rings true' to me, both logically and from experience. Doesn't mean I'm 'going there' though.

As another poster wrote, he's 'been there, done that' with a lot more stuff in the health arena than most (including paleo). That alone gives him a lot of cred with me.

Lastly, it's probably a good idea for anyone before 'fully committing' to paleo at least give contrarian views a listen.
                        (1) I am 100% on-board with the primal exercise blue print. It reduces the problem of exercise down to its simplest form and provides a solution that can be used for a lifetime.

(2) I'm not on-board with the primal diet blue print. In fact, I'm not on-board with any diet plan but a man can hope to find the right answer before it's too late.

Comment

Another point about Matt, he's as much 'health psychologist' as diet guru. Actually he's much more about psychology than diet.

Of course he knows a lot about nutrition and physiology too. One of his basic points is that a lot of other things are more important than diet in determining health and weight, things like sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoLogicCheck View Post
                            I've been checking out his videos for the last 2 days on youtube. Just do a search for 'Matt Stone 180'. He's dedicated, highly informed and passionate and definitely 180 from Paleo. His basic message 'rings true' to me, both logically and from experience. Doesn't mean I'm 'going there' though.

As another poster wrote, he's 'been there, done that' with a lot more stuff in the health arena than most (including paleo). That alone gives him a lot of cred with me.

Lastly, it's probably a good idea for anyone before 'fully committing' to paleo at least give contrarian views a listen.
                            Yeah he really has a wide ranging background, similar to mine. Seems like a lot of people who go through the vegan/raw food-paleo-primal-low/VLC sequence wind up with view like MS. He certainly resonates with me.

Comment

Been listening some more...and another thing about Matt..he's funny

Comment

Working...
                              X