Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bane! long time indeed! hope all is excellent
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Well, people live in the world of attention deficit disorder -- where individuals are lifted up as geniuses, and then tomorrow "debunked". I don't live in that world. I don't believe that the laws of nature change when pop culture gets bored.

Taubes' theories still hold up. Atkins basically invented low-carb paleo, he was proved right by time. Price has been proved right by time. Lustig is probably right that soda basically explains the whole metabolic syndrome epidemic.
      Good observation(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by Terry H View Post
        Good observation(s).
        Thank you Terry!

Comment

• Late to the party, but

I wanted to contribute personal experience with Matt Stone. First, the whole "potty-mouth" thing is I believe generational, and I find that men food bloggers in particular can tend to be a little testosteronie in that regard. Listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts, for example, often put me to the blush even as I laugh along. But as a writer myself, I think Matt Stone is a very clever writer, often very funny, and I enjoy reading his work.

A couple of years ago, after completing a Whole30 and wanting to blow my brains out over how monotonous the food was (my fault) and how crappy I still felt (who knows?), I found Stone's 180, enjoyed the articles, thought the perspective made sense, and was not willing to believe that for me (or maybe for anybody), an impaired insulin function might be at fault. I thought Gary Taubes was the Devil, Robert Lustig was an arrogant SOB, and the Wheat Belly doctor a hack who was trying to cash in on the fad.

I did not come to these conclusions primarily from reading the 180 blog, but it certainly contributed. I tried reading (and following) Danny Roddy's advice, and with him of all the "Peatarians" I have the biggest problem: in an area in which so, so many people are desperate for health advice, his final caveat amounts to, "Do the research I did and then draw your own conclusions." Correct in the largest scheme of things, but not very compassionate or helpful.

I even went so far as to schedule a brief consultation with Matt Stone, and I found him to be genuine, kind, compassionate, and very understanding of my frustrations. One thing I was very worried about was slipping into disordered eating via restricting foods, and he really did have a very solid understanding of what that is about.

However, following his advice, I gained back all of the weight I had lost previously and another 30 pounds on top of that, and this was well within six months. I felt horrible: terrible joint pains, walking up stairs like a person 20 or 30 years my senior, aggravated gerd/reflux, terrible mood swings, and skin problems worse than what I'd started with, and edema that made my ankles look like my sainted Aunt Irene.

That this group of symptoms could not be due to over-consumption of gluten and refined sugars made no sense to me. I did struggle a great deal with lethargy and listlessness after the Whole30 and continuing on with a paleo-based diet, but I hadn't been really depressed for nearly the entire time, my body composition had started to rock (and after 50, that's pretty darn great!), and my skin had really cleared up nearly completely. Starting to feel like I could not get out of bed, that was bad. Sadly, following Matt's advice did not improve that problem over the long run, and it added back, and worse, many more.

I re-read Taubes, re-read a number of books on low-carb approach to diet for the insulin-impaired (blood sugar tests, edema, BMI of 34 in someone who was absolutely not eating 3000 calories a day, etc.), and have concluded that, for me, AND for likely a very large group of the population, carbohydrate consumption of over 100 g daily is not going to be healthy or sustainable into old age.

Since entering back into a more low-carb approach (and I plan to spend some time in the very-low carb range), all of my symptoms have cleared up again especially since dropping gluten and most flour--still struggling with sugar.

Finally, I would like to point out that all LC approaches that I've read, including Ketogenic Mediterranean, New Atkins, and Duke U plan, suggest that everyone should eat the maximum amount of safe carbs they can tolerate without increased weight gain.

Sorry, that's a lot, thanks for listening. Really wanted to say that Matt Stone is not a douche or anything like it, but that his recommendations, like many if not all others, won't work for everyone, and in my opinion, I don't think they will be sustainable for most people over the course of their lives.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X