Should women IF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should women IF?

For those of you who don't follow Richard Nikoley, here's a very good blog entry.

No One's Power but Our Own: Paleo Sexist Woes, and an Invitation to Rise Up and Roar | Free The Animal
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

that was a great post, thanks grumpy
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

It was very good. Although nobody tell Kenn (it uses the 'P' word).
      Last edited by magicmerl; 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Gotta love "Free the Animal"
        Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Awsome. I've long been noticing that as a woman, my body does NOT respond the same as a man's body, yet it seems every diet related thing is focused on men, with the expectation that women should have the same results, when clearly we don't.

I am a big fan of IFing, but it doesn't do a thing for me in terms of weight loss. Now I know why.

Comment

So the science of dieting is based on men, then marketed to women? I think of WW, Jenny Craig etc.

That was a good article and it does seem to me that the women with the best "healthy" appearance are moderate eaters and exercisers. The women who starve diet and exercise often have very unhealthy skin and hair and age quickly.

I think primal is good at correcting the body after years of calorie restriction and chronic cardio, but overall the weightloss for me has been slow. I'd be curious to compare women for whom primal is their first attempt to lose weight/eathealthy vs. women who have done CW for years.

And the whole body thing cracks me up between women. I put effort into looking good for men, period. Men started checking me out around a size 14, and I was non-existent as a 18 or up. And women LOVED me at size 18, even more at size 22. Never a mean comment heard. Many compliments heard- pretty hair, face, clothes Now I get the cut hair comments, comments on my clothes, directed comments about my body and no nice comments (from women). Interesting dynamic.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

If you ever dug in the Lean Gains protocol, it has a gender adjustment for women. And you know what it is? Shortening the fasting window to 14 hours from 18 for men, to 'improve adherence' and improve mood, and increase carbohydrates, mainly from adding fruit. In other words, it acknowledges women's natural tendency to have bad feedback to long fasts and low carb. Obviously, all women are different, and some women can live on fat alone, etc, but yes, it is not accidental that a dieting woman will go for fish, yogurt and apples, and will be turned off by heavy, greasy foods.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                If you ever dug in the Lean Gains protocol, it has a gender adjustment for women. And you know what it is? Shortening the fasting window to 14 hours from 18 for men, to 'improve adherence' and improve mood, and increase carbohydrates, mainly from adding fruit. In other words, it acknowledges women's natural tendency to have bad feedback to long fasts and low carb. Obviously, all women are different, and some women can live on fat alone, etc, but yes, it is not accidental that a dieting woman will go for fish, yogurt and apples, and will be turned off by heavy, greasy foods.
                Leida, that's interesting--I haven't read that bit of Lean Gains, but that certainly reflects my experience that a 12-16 hour window seems most comfortable and natural for me and that low carb was not helpful in fat loss. Adding more carbs back into my diet actually helped me get leaner, including eating fruit more often.

I also prefer to get my fat from my food rather than adding a lot of extra in the form of butter or coconut oil. I use those fats in moderate amounts for cooking, but I feel better eating fattier meats and things like avocados for my fat intake instead of doing things like making high-fat sauces. I know other women have said similar things--I think sbhikes has also said she prefers her fats to be part of her food rather than adding them in, and even though she eats lower carb, I find it interesting that we have this shared preference.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Also, IF is something I do on an unplanned basis (except for the overnight fast, which I see more as a normal, controlled eating pattern than as IF). If I'm not hungry or there's nothing to eat, then I'll skip a meal, but I don't force a long fast like some people will. I'd rather listen to my body and let my hunger signals tell me when it's time to eat or not.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Nice work with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information which we all need, helpful iformation. I would like to thank you for the efforts you shown remarkble writing skill in this nice thread.

Comment

Also, IF is something I do on an unplanned basis (except for the overnight fast, which I see more as a normal, controlled eating pattern than as IF). If I'm not hungry or there's nothing to eat, then I'll skip a meal, but I don't force a long fast like some people will. I'd rather listen to my body and let my hunger signals tell me when it's time to eat or not.
                      I am doing the same thing. I basically just reverted to the old paleo idea of just skipping a meal when you can. Holding the fasts in the morning is too disruptive for my work, and I managed to miss a supper only one time evar. I'd much rather sleep than 'fast'.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I am actually looking at thryoid stuff, somewhat sex related & have shortened my daily fast to 16 hours or less with more Lean Gains/Warrior Diet type eating during the day. Also, more dairy & less meat.... etc.

Comment

I am doing the same thing. I basically just reverted to the old paleo idea of just skipping a meal when you can. Holding the fasts in the morning is too disruptive for my work, and I managed to miss a supper only one time evar. I'd much rather sleep than 'fast'.
                          For sure. If it's dinner time and I'm not hungry, then no worries, I won't eat. But I'm not going to bully myself into fasting when my body is saying I need to eat--that's uncomfortably close to my teenage years of disordered eating and chronic overexercising (mostly exercise bulimia, but also some straight-up self-starvation in there).

Basically, I've taken some ideas from mindful eating and added them into eating paleo. I stop and think about whether I'm hungry or not, why I want to eat, and so on. Being really conscious of the reasons I'm eating or not eating helps me a lot.

Owly's Journal

Comment

I have done something similar to the leangains protocol, and I think the key with IF is to truly find a method that works for you. 12-14 hours seems to work best for me- I'm an early to bed early to rise gal, usually in bed by 8:00/8:30 p.m and up at 4:00 a.m SO- that being said, I don't like to eat IMMEDIATELY before bed, I usually would get my LAST meal in at around 6:30-7:00. depending. Up at 4 a.m means that I typically break my fast around 9 a.m, AFTER I've trained. I then eat every 3-4 hours until my last meal... give or take depdning on hunger I usually get 3 meals, maybe a snack in. It works WONDERFULLY for me..... I think the key with ANY IF approach is to try it and adjust it so that it works for you..... each individual is different, even within the genders.

Comment

It's obvious that women lose weight slower than men, and that we shouldn't go too low on the body fat % for the sake of our fertility and general health.

However, I still haven't seen a scientifically based reason why women shouldn't IF, or should IF less than men. Do we release exaggerated amounts of cortisol during fat metabolism compared to men, or something like that? What actually happens to a woman's body that doesn't happen to a man's during a fast? Studies are a starting point but I need to talk actual biochemical mechanisms to be convinced of this.

I regularly skip breakfast now, and I am losing weight steadily so far and feeling much better for it. I'd need pretty convincing evidence to make me stop doing it!
                              Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-18-2012, 05:44 AM.
                              Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
                              Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
                              Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
                              WOE: Primal + IF
                              Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
                              Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

Working...
                              X