Should women IF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    It's obvious that women lose weight slower than men, and that we shouldn't go too low on the body fat % for the sake of our fertility and general health.

However, I still haven't seen a scientifically based reason why women shouldn't IF, or should IF less than men. Do we release exaggerated amounts of cortisol during fat metabolism compared to men, or something like that? What actually happens to a woman's body that doesn't happen to a man's during a fast? Studies are a starting point but I need to talk actual biochemical mechanisms to be convinced of this.

I regularly skip breakfast now, and I am losing weight steadily so far and feeling much better for it. I'd need pretty convincing evidence to make me stop doing it!

On whatever | Just another WordPress site the author has a whole article reviewing the scientific reasons women shouldn't IF

Comment

Linkies aren't working
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
        Linkies aren't working
        Odd, they both work when I click on them....
        Here try this: whatever | Just another WordPress site

Comment

^^ Or read some articles on paleoforwomen.com , that said, i do think IF for women can work (certainly for post-meno chicks), just not when the only aim is fat loss and with shorter fasts

Comment

I have done something similar to the leangains protocol, and I think the key with IF is to truly find a method that works for you. 12-14 hours seems to work best for me- I'm an early to bed early to rise gal, usually in bed by 8:00/8:30 p.m and up at 4:00 a.m SO- that being said, I don't like to eat IMMEDIATELY before bed, I usually would get my LAST meal in at around 6:30-7:00. depending. Up at 4 a.m means that I typically break my fast around 9 a.m, AFTER I've trained. I then eat every 3-4 hours until my last meal... give or take depdning on hunger I usually get 3 meals, maybe a snack in. It works WONDERFULLY for me..... I think the key with ANY IF approach is to try it and adjust it so that it works for you..... each individual is different, even within the genders.
            I have a similar sleeping hours, but I can't train in the morning because the gym doesn't open till 5:30 am, so I will lose a lot of time if I go to the gym the first thing in the morning (I go after I finish work, by about 3:30 pm). So, I get up, cook and pack lunches for the family, then walk to the bus and get to work by 6, and I find it is almost impossible to sit out without food from 6 am till 10 am - noon trying to work when I would meet my 14-16 hours window. And, by the time I am home, get my kid and get the supper on the table for everyone it is normally 6-8 pm (and, yes, yes, I do cook larger batches and all that, but it still takes time to get the kid organnized, to clean up, set the table, make fresh salad, fruit plate, steam veggies etc). Plus, if I eat earlier I wake up hungry at 2 am. The only times when I can IF is on my flex days off when I can get to the gym by 5:30-6 am, train and then take myself shopping etc. On the weekends gym is not opened till 7 am, so by then I get too hungry to lift properly and cook breakky for my folks, so I end up eating. I could also IF after I had a huge refeed, then I am just not hungry for longer. But I don't want to do huge refeeds any more. I just want to eat steady, without excessive hunger. I am too tired of being hungry after these many years. (Sigh).
            Last edited by Leida; 06-18-2012, 07:48 AM.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by halfbunny View Post
              ^^ Or read some articles on paleoforwomen.com , that said, i do think IF for women can work (certainly for post-meno chicks), just not when the only aim is fat loss and with shorter fasts
              I'm trying to link to paleoforwomen.com
              The article re: IF and women on that site is fabulous.

Comment

Occasionally and for medical reasons I go one or two days with a broth plan. It includes everything and not only vegetables, but I only consume the broth. Partner and friends are happy to take care of the rest -as long as they have their home made eggs and butter sauce (with cappers).

Do I fit in size 0 clothes? Who cares. Looking great in whatever size my body stays healthy should be the goal, and as far as I've seen right now I have a good low carb outcome, a happy high fat set and proteins doing just fine the way they are.

IF comes naturally, I have an eight hours window and feel great -but I avoid this at the end of my menstrual cycle in order to avoid feeling like a massive mess, in those days I carb up a little and there it goes.
                No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Comment

Gender-specific lit for weight loss and fitness is great and all, but...

I just went through M&F for men book on weight training, and OMG, ladies, the PICTURES! The WRITING! I know, I know, but OMG, it was hilarious and, well, let's say I was a bit self-conscious reading it on the bus, but it was certainly pleasant.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                  X