No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading SACRE BLEU by Christopher Moore and DUST AND DECAY by Jonathan Maberry.
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

By the Sword: Gladiators, Musketeers, Duelists, Samurai, Swashbucklers and Points of Honour

... a potted history of fighting with a sword. I'm somewhere at the end of the 1500s at the moment, my favourite era of street gangs, thuggery and beating them away with a sidearm.

Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession

... although not a competitive runner, getting into the hills and just running through whatever the weather throws at me is my addiction. Covered in mud, soaked to the skin and grinning like an idiot
      Paul
      http://www.pjgh.co.uk
      http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

The Bible
        The Tao of Jeet Kune Do
        Primal Body, Primal Mind

The Book of Five Rings is sitting in my bag waiting for me to crack it open, but I'm almost done with PBPM and I don't want to have four going at once.
        Journal of an American Dragon: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread89897.html

Comment

And now I'm also reading CONVICT CONDITIONING. So far, it's utterly fascinating.
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            One of my biggest complaints is that there is seemingly never enough time to read. But I do try to keep two in rotation at all times, usually one fiction, one non-fiction. After a brief tear on Murakami, I'm reading House of Leaves, but will likely return to Murakami for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as my next fiction read.
            Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue is the NF in rotation. Not sure what's next: have to peel through the stacks.
            'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' amongst my all time geatest reads. I also have 'The Mother Tongue' waiting on the shelf amidst dozens of books I want to read. Second hand book shops are an addiction. I'm reading 'In Service of Clouds' by Delia Falconer, it's surprisingly touching. And started yesterday Gary Taubes 'Why we get fat and what to do about it'.

Comment

NobleSavage: Sorry it has taken me a little while to get back to here. As for "The Name of the Wind" I enjoyed it very much and would not consider it gritty. My biggest complaint is that the book is mostly build up for the rest of the trilogy which is not much of a complaint since I was ready to order the sequel as soon as I finished the first book.

As for what I am now reading I have an advanced reader from the bookstore I used to work at that I am looking forward to called "Alif the Unseen." As well as reading "Love Does" I swear every time I look my stack of books to read gets bigger and bigger

Comment

My favorite Books ---

1. one night at call center
                2. swami vivekanand
                3. three mistakes of my life
                4. Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

In the process of reading Body by Science with authors Dr Doug McGuff & John Little. It is expounding the virtues of HIT strength training. I reckon I can manage 12 minutes a week with weights and 3 minutes a week on my rowing machine.
                  Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

i'm looking at an ancient copy of "The Macrobiotic Way", which i took from my mother's stockpile of unwanted cookbooks a long time ago. It's pretty amusing. How long could someone eat that way???!!!

Comment

I started reading Game of Thrones which was really good, though it got too upsetting for me to read (I admit I am a 46 yr old wimp of a woman and dont like to read upsetting things before I go to sleep.)
                      As my 19 year old son says- its only fiction. And I know that but even still.
                      Incidentally he loved it, and is now on the second book.
                      I really enjoyed the medieval Shardlake mysteries (not sure if you have them in the US)
                      I also like Lee Child books which althoug very gritty don't upset me.
                      I regularly dip into Primal Blueprint. Though am looking for other books about Paleo.

Comment

I recently read "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human" by Richard W. Wrangham... really excellent book that this crowd might enjoy. It's an engaging read for sure.

Lately I've been reading a ton of books about paleo/primal/etc.

Next up is "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined" by Steven Pinker. Really looking forward to that.

Comment

Working...
                        X