Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does dietary cholesterol increase serum cholesterol?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does dietary cholesterol increase serum cholesterol?

Or, does my body regulate cholesterol to some level (even if that level is too high). One reason I am reluctant to do all out PB is not so much concern about saturated fats, but dietary cholesterol. Thanks for your help.

Your body regulates it. From what I've heard, saturated fat actually affects cholesterol levels more than dietary cholesterol itself. You should be fine. The only case where this is not true is familial hypercholesterolemia.

I actually found a paleohacks post yesterday where a guy LOWERED his LDL by eating MORE cholesterol:
    LDL high? Increase your cholesterol intake. The elephant in the room? - PaleoHacks.com

Anyway, unless you have some really funky numbers or the total gets above 275 or so, I would not worry at all.

Comment

I am one of the high-fat guinea pigs around here and my cholesterol numbers are EXCELLENT! Much better than they were before Primal.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55951.html
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Known by most folks as "the lipid hypothosis" and by others as the "dietary fat/cholestrol theory", the theory that dietary lipids impact blood cholesterol has been proven to be incorrect.

The Lipid Hypothesis Has Officially Failed (Part 1 of many) - GNOLLS.ORG

The Truth About Ancel Keys: We’ve All Got It Wrong Raw Food SOS

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
          Or, does my body regulate cholesterol to some level (even if that level is too high). One reason I am reluctant to do all out PB is not so much concern about saturated fats, but dietary cholesterol. Thanks for your help.
          The straight dope on cholesterol
          Eating cholesterol has very little impact on the cholesterol levels in your body. This is a fact, not my opinion. Anyone who tells you different is, at best, ignorant of this topic. At worst, they are a deliberate charlatan. Years ago the Canadian Guidelines removed the limitation of dietary cholesterol. The rest of the world, especially the United States, needs to catch up.

Comment

If you eat more cholesterol, you are just doing your liver a favor, as it won't have to produce as much. Seeing as though cholesterol is the building block of all of your body's hormones, I would say that in about a decade you'll see cholesterol levels that are "safe" that are much higher than what they tell you nowadays, as long as your hdl/ldl ldl/vldl and trig levels are all healthy as well.

Comment

Good podcast for you.
              Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
              Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
              Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
              Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Working...
              X