Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marks Reference-Dr. Castelli(Framingham Study) doesn't eat any fatty foods!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allison223 View Post
    Tom, I am very interested to see what you come up with through your research. I have very bad heart history in my family, on both sides, and it scares the crap out of me. While I LOVE being told I can eat bacon and butter, this is not a joke to me, I need to feel like I am 100% doing the right thing for my heart health.
    Have you considered doing some before and after blood tests? If you're really, really serious, that's what I suggest you do.

I did this. My family has a history of high cholesterol. My dad had a heart attack at 50ish. He's also a cardiologist. Yeah, really.

Believe me, I worried. Blood tests before primal: high cholesterol, high triglycerides, pre-diabetic, nothing that looked promising. Blood tests after 3 months of primal: low triglycerides, high HDL, and totally normal blood sugar.

I really recommend doing exactly that if you're serious about this not being a joke to you. The blood tests aren't super expensive, and if it's what you need to know you're doing the right thing, I say go for it.

As an aside, my husband's LDL cholesterol couldn't even be calculated pre-primal. We've now seen a reverse in that. We're still working on getting his bloodwork in shape, but I suspect next time he goes in to test, he'll be in normal ranges, too.
    Last edited by onalark; 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Hey Steph, This is exactly what I'm Doing. I just received my paperwork to go get a blood test. I've been on the diet for close to 3 months now so it should give me a good baseline. Unfortunately I don't have a test from immediately before, but I did get one last year, and I can assume that that is about average for me since my diet has been the same for quite a while before I started primal.

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
        Have you considered doing some before and after blood tests? If you're really, really serious, that's what I suggest you do.

I did this. My family has a history of high cholesterol. My dad had a heart attack at 50ish. He's also a cardiologist. Yeah, really.

Believe me, I worried. Blood tests before primal: high cholesterol, high triglycerides, pre-diabetic, nothing that looked promising. Blood tests after 3 months of primal: low triglycerides, high HDL, and totally normal blood sugar.

I really recommend doing exactly that if you're serious about this not being a joke to you. The blood tests aren't super expensive, and if it's what you need to know you're doing the right thing, I say go for it.

As an aside, my husband's LDL cholesterol couldn't even be calculated pre-primal. We've now seen a reverse in that. We're still working on getting his bloodwork in shape, but I suspect next time he goes in to test, he'll be in normal ranges, too.
        I've been thinking of getting some blood work done, however, I'm not sure I agree that cholesterol is a good marker for heart health having read the WAPF research on the matter.

Comment

In addition, I don't think the disappearance of fat deposits in autopsy results from Belgium in 1942 can be counted on. As I recall, they were sort of busy right then. LOTS of confounding variables, not just the presence or absence of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by allison223 View Post
            I've been thinking of getting some blood work done, however, I'm not sure I agree that cholesterol is a good marker for heart health having read the WAPF research on the matter.
            There are other markers to track, such as A1C and c-reactive protein. You can also check levels on things like iron, B12, Vitamin D....

My fasting blood sugar pre-paleo put me in the pre-diabetic ranges. I no longer have this issue. And, of course, there is the weight loss. And the inevitable weight gain when I stop eating paleo.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

My own doctor, a CW cardiologist, tried to put me on Lipitor the first time I came to see him. I resisted, found Paleo / Primal, ignored medical advice. Last time I visited him, with zero health complaints for the first time in years, he did a full blood work up and heart ultrasound (to look for heart stress and clogged arteries). He said, based on your lab work and overall health, you should absolutely continue doing whatever you've been doing. You have high LDL (I had it before, too), but your HDL is very good, your weight is down, BP good, fasting glucose and triglycerides ideal. You are not at high risk of heart disease or diabetes.
              He then quizzed me about it for a long time and I dropped the name of several doctors mentioned on this thread for his reading pleasure. He took notes.

I'm a believer that natural sat fat is healthy, based on my own experiences and the readings I've done. But you should do your own reading. I really recommend Dr Kurt Harris's archived stuff - he gave up writing a while ago but his early posts are excellent.
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
              X