Sleep 9 hours a night to lose weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep 9 hours a night to lose weight

SEATTLE, May 1 (UPI) -- Sleeping too much does not make one fat -- in fact, sleeping more than 9 hours a night may suppress genetic influences on body weight, U.S. researchers say.

You wish... I feel great on ~ 7-7.5 hours of sleep, and can't seem to sleep any more even when I have time to sleep. My husband is overweight, I am not, and he tends to sleep closer to 9 hours.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      You wish... I feel great on ~ 7-7.5 hours of sleep, and can't seem to sleep any more even when I have time to sleep. My husband is overweight, I am not, and he tends to sleep closer to 9 hours.
      I too can't ever... EVER sleep more than 8 hours (even if I go out the previous night). I just wake up, I used to hate it, but now I just roll with it and get my day started. I feel okay on 6 hours, and awesome on 7. 9 or above and I actually feel sluggish. I do take measures to go to sleep at 11pm at the latest (esp during the work week) because no matter what time I go to sleep, my body naturally wakes up around 7 am, probably due to the fact that I wake up around 6:20 for work.

Forgot to mention that my gf averages 8-9 and while she's not actively trying to lose weight, she's also not magically losing it just due to her sleeping habits.
      Last edited by iniQuity; 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

There's a whole book about the sleep/weight loss connection:
        http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sle...5969226&sr=8-2

Comment

8 to 9 hours is perfect for me... if I ever get it. *sigh*

Comment

Optimal sleep is whatever your body is asking for. Everyone is different. Denying your body the sleep it needs is what does the damage. If it takes 9 to wake up refreshed, give it 9. If you wake before the alarm with 7 then good for you.

I routinely average around 7, which isnt optimal, and will take 9 or 10 when I can get it. I do know for sure that when I'm eating optimally I perform better on less sleep.
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
              That's interesting. Maybe that is why my fat loss stalls on and off? I would love to get over nine hours sleep a night - would be a lie in every day. Instead I stay up late on my computer and then wake up late without really enough sleep. I should give this a try.

Comment

I do take measures to go to sleep at 11pm at the latest (esp during the work week) because no matter what time I go to sleep, my body naturally wakes up around 7 am, probably due to the fact that I wake up around 6:20 for work.
                Lol, I get up about 4 am, normally a few minutes before the alarm goes off. I go off to bed between 8 and 9 pm. I am up at 5:30 on Saturday, and I call it 'sleeping in'. Heh. Too bad gym is not opened till 7 am on the weekends!
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Sleeping nine hours is nice, but not always doable. Some days I do better on nine and others I do better on seven or eight. I slept in like a dog today, got like ten hours of sleep, and the weight loss was hardly effected at all. Just depends on my body I guess. *shrugs*
                  Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I woke up with four hours, without issue, for some odd reason. I don't know if I should force the remaining three, to four, hours - just to get that "necessary" amount of sleep.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

What if you naturally have good energy and mental clarity at more like 11 or 12 hours of sleep? I easily can sleep twelve hours every night, and have no negative effects to report. Even before I was working night shift I could do a 12 hour nap every night.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Check out the Hibernation Diet,
                        which believes that honey is the most ideal food that can provide a fuelling mechanism for the liver at night.
                        A daily spoonful or two of honey taken prior to bedtime can help us sleep better and lose weight at the same time.
                        Last edited by hilton573; 06-02-2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

7-8 hours seems to be my sweet spot. More than that (unless I'm sick) and I'll start to feel groggy when I wake up, instead of refreshed.

Though I remember reading an interview with Penelope Cruz a while back and she attributed her success at maintain her weight and youthfulness to getting up 12 hours of sleep per day (I'm guess that's night time plus a nap or two) . . . .
                          Healthy Bucket List:
                          • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                          • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                          • Do a real pull-up
                          • Run a 5k
                          • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

I haven't slept more than 8 hours since starting Primal. I don't know what the deal is, I just can't - even after some nights when I don't sleep much (I do call shifts for work), I can't seem to make up any sleep - maybe an extra hour at the most, and then I'm up.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                              Great book. Read it several times. It's a hard read but very informative and loaded with Primal facts. The
                              "pitch-black" room sleep she recommends really works. Love TS Wiley.
                              "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Comment

Working...
                              X