Clear All

• Red meat increases death, cancer and heart risk, says study

Just seen this on the bbc...

BBC News - Red meat increases death, cancer and heart risk, says study

I was also concerned about this.

Red meat raises red flags | Harvard Gazette

Same thing, I believe.

Comment

What I find interesting with those two links is that they don't mention that the study was funded by the World Cancer Research fund, as mentioned in this link: Eating red meat regularly 'dramatically increases the risk of death from heart disease' | Mail Online

I've struggled to find out where their funding actually comes from, but they have form when it comes to providing biased findings:

Flabby claims about food and cancer | Basham and Luik | spiked

Here are some interesting quotes from the link:

Crucially, they almost exclusively reference epidemiological studies, which inherently cannot establish that being fat or that eating red meat gives you cancer, as that’s not what this type of study does. Instead, such studies look for associations between various factors and the risk of disease. For example, this report was interested in whether the variation in people’s weights or their diets were correlated with the development of cancer. But the very nature of epidemiological studies means that the margin of error arising from the nature of the data almost invariably exceeds the supposed relationships that the study has found.
      Is the second truth in the World Cancer Research Fund’s report – that eating certain foods increases our risk for cancer - really true? Of the 17 cancers discussed in the report, virtually all have statistically non-significant associations with every type of food, which means that they provide no evidence of a link between a particular food and a particular cancer.
      For example, of the 17 studies cited which assessed the link between colon cancer and processed meat, 13 are not statistically significant. Despite those scary headlines about red meat, the report concludes that ‘there is limited evidence…suggesting that red meat is a cause of oesophageal cancer’. Again, ‘there is limited, inconsistent evidence…that grilled…or barbecued animal foods are causes of stomach cancer’. And ‘there is limited evidence suggesting that processed meat is a cause of stomach cancer’. Given the limited nature of this evidence, it is difficult to see how the report authors justified the advice to avoid red and processed meat.

Consider, for example, the American Cancer Society’s 2001 study of diet and stomach cancer, which looked at 436,000 men and women and found no increased risk of stomach cancer associated with eating processed meats. What that study did find, however, was an increased risk of stomach cancer with women who consumed more vegetables!
      and more recently.....

The latest BS about the Big C | Rob Lyons | spiked

There are two different problems here. The first is that the correlation between, for example, eating red meat and cancer may be so weak that we can’t really be sure that the correlation is real. It may be due to the limitations of the study’s methods. Secondly, even if the correlation is real - that people who eat red meat are more likely to get cancer - that doesn’t mean that red meat causes cancer. There may be other things about people who like red meat that mean they are more likely to get cancer. These factors may not be obvious. That’s also why the US National Cancer Institute noted in 1994, ‘in epidemiological research, [increases in risk of less than 100 per cent] are considered small and are usually difficult to interpret. Such increases may be due to chance, statistical bias, or the effects of confounding factors that are sometimes not evident.’
      Apparently none of these riders matter because the important thing is the headline: lifestyle causes cancer. It reflects a mindset among researchers, medics, politicians and campaigners that assumes that it is their job to tell us how to live our lives.

There's much more in the links that I didn't quote - they are worth a read if the issue concerns you.
      My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I'm listening to Carbohydrates Can Kill, and the Dr being interviewed, and he mentioned metabolism derangement is a catalyst for cancer (like hyperglycemia).
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Love the comments on the Guardians coverage

Eating red meat raises 'substantially' risk of cancer or heart disease death | Science | The Guardian

Comment

My thoughts here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50585.html
            Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
            Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by madlan View Post
              Love the comments on the Guardians coverage
              I love the comments on this thread and the other one that is (providentially?) exactly the same subject at the same time. Care to provide a counter argument?
              Durp.

Comment

Fu Manchu - Hogwash - YouTube

Comment

I love articles like this- they keep the price of meat down.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                    wow, I forgot about this. The pastures are greener on the other side....
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                      Good point!, I just switched to a local butcher (Used to get meat from the super market). Turns out I'm spending slightly less for decent grass fed beef that's raised locally. Wouldn't complain if the price dropped a little though!

Comment

I think I found the study: Arch Intern Med -- Red Meat Consumption and Mortality: Results From 2 Prospective Cohort Studies, March 12, 2012, Pan et al. 0 (2012): archinternmed.2011.2287v1

Comment

@Jo Care is needed using Luik and Basham for your argument- they are both former Big Tobacco defenders. They also argue that diet doesn't matter when it comes to cancer. Yes, doesn't matter. So give up primal and eat bags of sugar morning, noon and night. Also, Spiked is interesting but remember its origins are in the Revolutionary Communist Party and if you read it long enough you'll begin to see a very specific form of argumentation throughout its articles.

Comment

Think I heard a sound byte the other day, total b.s.

Comment

Well if that is the study, I found this table interesting.

Arch Intern Med -- Red Meat Consumption and Mortality: Results From 2 Prospective Cohort Studies, March 12, 2012, Pan et al. 0 (2012): archinternmed.2011.2287v1, Figure OI110027T1

People that ate the most red meat seemed to drink more, smoke more, weigh more, do less physical activity. So their risks for various things were raised, but less suffered from high cholesterol?

Comment

Working...
                              X