No announcement yet.

Canker Sores PLZ HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does occur naturally in food (proteins meat and dairy) which the L-Lysine supplementation helps offset. What you don't want to do is take any supplement with it in it as this will upset the "natural balance" Some Whey is high in it as well as a lot of body building supplements. If you use whey make sure Arginine has not been added (some of the muscle head formulas add it - there is some naturally in whey) Since I strengthened my immune system (vit D3 and proper whole food diet, I do consume raw dairy)and supplement with lysine (500mg per day) I have not had a an outbreak. If you feel one coming take 4000 mg L-Lysine and another 1000 every 3-4 hours and it will nip it in the bud. Good luck.

Comment

Not the least bit primal, but mouth wash has really helped me with canker sores. I can feel one coming on and gargle with mouth wash in the morning and evening and that usually takes care of the problem.

Comment

Another couple thoughts about this -- I believe that ornithine causes them as well as arginine.

Also, when you take lysine by tablet or capsule, it works best if you take it on an empty stomach or at least away from other protein food. You want the lysine to dominate instead of getting mixed with the other aminos.

Comment

I just ran into this as well -- developed horrible canker sores yesterday, after being primal for a short-ish time. At first I blamed primal eating, then I thought about it, and remembered that eating too many veggies from the nightshade family also causes them. I made the most *marvelous* curry, that had onions, eggplant, and tomatoes in it. *sigh* Am going to have to give it to one of my neighbors.

One thing about L-Lysine (and all supplements): buy from a reputable brand. Supplements aren't regulated, and most don't contain what they claim. University of Maryland did a study of glucosamine supplements-- out of 14 brands tested, 11 had trace amounts or no glucosamine at all. Of the remaining 3, only 1 contained what it claimed. The other 2 had 2-3 times the amount of glucosamine they claimed -- which meant their process is shoddy, and another batch may contain considerably less.

I use something I get from my co-op called Super Lysine. Both the pills and the lip stuff reduce the time of infection for me. The other suggestion I have would be Thorne Research. They're the only supplement manufacturer I know who is pharmaceutical certified. And yes, take it on an empty stomach.
          If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

I get a rash that's very much like canker sores if I eat too many strawberries, and the same thing happens to my daughter if she eats oranges. Seems to be a common problem with acidic fruits. (Pineapple, too, of course.)

Comment

+1 for Biotene. Great stuff. It cut down on my canker sores down by at least 3/4. The rest I figure came from the salt and vinegar kettle chips I was eating every day. Not sure if it was the sharpness of the chips or the acid of the vinegar or both but, I was almost guaranteed a canker sore after eating them.
              Since going primal? Not a one (chips or sores...).
              "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
              And we never even know we have the key."
              ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Comment

Working...
              X