Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
    these aren't perfect but much better and i do not want to go bak on statins. But I would love Griff's thoughts too
    Get a VAP test and direct measurement of the LDL particles. That's the only red flag I'm seeing.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

thanks Griff my doctor wasn't sure where it could be done or what the french name is but is sure it is not reimbursed but i will research this, thanks

Comment

Griff,
        My latest numbers:
        total: 264
        Trig: 101
        HDL: 60
        LDL:184
        Iranian LDL: 182 (not much difference)

My ratios:
        Total/ HDL: 4.4
        trig/ HDL: 1.68
        LDL/HDL: 3.06 (Iranian= 3.03)

My ratios are great, but either way my LDL is high. How do I go about correcting this? Eat fewer carbs?
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Bill 05-11-10 page.jpg

Hi, Griff! I am new around here, and my husband just got back test results that appear to be "skewed" based on what you are saying. His trygs ARE below 100 (84) and it seems like we may be all upset about nothing. His doctor told him his risk for heart attack are high, and he wants himn on statins NOW!

Can you apply you magic to these numbers? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
          Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
          Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
          So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
          Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
          Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Someone said they could not read the attachment, so I typed it out here:

Tryglicerides normal at 84 (range 0-100)
            Total cholesterol high critical at 303 (range 0-170)
            HDL normal at 47 (range 40-80)
            LDL high critical at 237 (range 0-100)
            VLDL normal at 19 (range 0-30)
            APOB100 high critical at 159 (range 0-109)
            Lipoprotein normal at 4 (range 0-10)
            Real-LDL size pattern is normal at A (range A).
            Cardiac Risk is high critical at 6.45 (range 0-1)
            Insulin resistance is normal at 1.79 (range 0-1)
            Fasting Blood Sugar is high critical at 107 (range 70-85)
            Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

With those numbers, here's his ratios:

Total/HDL 6.4 where normal for a man is 5.0 or less
              Trig/HDL 1.8 where optimal for either gender is 2.0 or less
              LDL/HDL 5.0 where optimal for either gender is 4.3 or less

The fact that his particle size is pattern A is great. He needs to bring up his HDL - eat more saturated fats and exercise more for that. Also, when you first start Primal, LDL tends to go up along with HDL, but eventually it stabilizes and goes back down for most folks. And since his is Pattern A, you really don't need to be that worried. The real big marker for heart disease risk is Trig/HDL, and his is really good.

Tell his doctor NO STATINS, and to let him have another six months to control it with diet. Then see how it goes.

The blood sugar's a touch high, but was this a fasting test? If not, that's probably why it's up a bit.
              Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Thanks, Griff! Boy, this doctor had us all worried! I thought my husband was one of the rare people who cannot eat this way.

The blood sugar's a touch high, but was this a fasting test? If not, that's probably why it's up a bit.
                I have no idea why this is. It was a fasting test. My husband has Metabolic Syndrome, so he may just be really sensitive to carbs. We have been eating around 50 carbs per day, so I think that we may drop that a tad and see if it helps. Also, he may be getting too much protein, which could cause blood sugar problems. If I tell him he has to cut down on the protein, he will probably flip!

Thanks for your help. We will have new tests done and see what the more detailed numbers are.
                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I am curious as to why his testosterone went down... any idea, Griff?
                  .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I am curious as to why his testosterone went down.
                    My husband is on testosterone replacement, and it needs to be adjusted now and then. His doctor just raised him from 80mg injection once a week to 90mg. It's a balancing act with BHRT. He has been under an extreme stress recently due to two illnesses in the family, and his doc said that could be why the old amount was not doing the job.

Also, I just found out that his fasting blood sugar was 125 a year ago, and now it is 107, so it is coming down slowly.
                    Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                      My husband is on testosterone replacement, and it needs to be adjusted now and then. His doctor just raised him from 80mg injection once a week to 90mg. It's a balancing act with BHRT. He has been under an extreme stress recently due to two illnesses in the family, and his doc said that could be why the old amount was not doing the job.

Also, I just found out that his fasting blood sugar was 125 a year ago, and now it is 107, so it is coming down slowly.
                      I see I see.
                      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

We are going to get the VAP done, along with Vitamin D levels, C-Reactive Protein and Omega levels, in the next few days. That should shed some light. I'm getting them, too. It will be interesting.
                        Last edited by RSL; 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM.
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Why is it that there are multiple primal members with high (total) cholesterol numbers even though HGs that have a diet high in saturated fat have low cholesterol numbers? For exmaple:

-Tokelau islanders consume 40-50% of their calories from saturated fat (high coconut consumption). Other staples are fish, breadfruit, and some tubers (by the time the measurements were done these starchy plants were part of the diet). Their total cholesterol was 182 mg/dL, LDL 119 mg/dL, triglycerides 80 mg/dL. All data from "Migration and Health in a Small Society: the Case of Tokelau."
                          -Masai people have "low" total cholesterol (126 mg/dL) according to this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum.

It's kind of odd that there is such a huge difference between HGs and some primal folks.

Comment

frogfarm has a weird bug and cannot post on this thread, he sent me his response as a PM

I would have responded to you in the thread, but there's still some weird bug going on where threads that existed before the move to the new forum are inaccessible to me if I'm logged in. Anyway, my first guess on why HG's have "better" cholesterol than so many of us would be that they've been eating that way since birth, whereas most of us have decades of accumulated damage that may take years to overcome, and we still probably won't ever get as good as we could have gotten if we hadn't done the damage in the first place.

Comment

Has anyone managed to have a VAP test done in Europe? I have been googling for days and cannot even find the name of the test here in France let alone a lab which can do it any help appreciated

Comment

Apologies if this has been answered before, I've searched but not found it - I am having my labs drawn in a few weeks and want to ask my doc to order all the tests I need to get full info. My 'standard' quarterly labs consist of "Lipid panel", "comprehensive metabolic panel", TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and cardiac CRP. What else should I ask for - just the VAP? Will my doctor know what that is or is there a different name I should use?

thanks!
                                Mikki

Comment

Working...
                                X