Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pandme View Post
    Thanks for this post. Appears I have a doctor who gets it. Got my physical results yesterday and my total cholesterol was high (248) but the doctor said he was not concerned because my HDL was really high and my trigs were low (68) and he said my ratios were excellent. He is a standard doctor but I guess word eventually gets around. He's actually pretty good, he even measures free t3 and free t4 instead of TSH only, like some incredibly bad doctors do (I am hypothyroid though my numbers were rocking' yesterday).
    Can we clone this guy?

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Can we clone this guy?
      I know, right? His office actually appears to try and keep up with the times. He didn't used to measure free t3, for example. But they try to keep improving. Anyway, I saw the cover of Time magazine (Eat Butter!) so this stuff is slowly making its way into the mainstream. It's awesome.

Comment

• Excellent stuff, Griff.

Comment

• Thank you Griff for that very comprehensive explanation of cholesterol types/measurements/ratios. I read Mark's book "The Primal Blueprint" in which he states that one's blood test results will improve after only 3 weeks of following the primal eating plan. He said to test bloods before starting the plan and again after 3 weeks. I did this but had a 4 week period of primal eating. I was quite disappointed with the blood results after the period as my total and LDL cholesterol levels increased by 10% and 20% respectively although the triglycerides improved and the HDL did not change. Readings before and after are: Total, 207 - 227; HDL, no change at 87; LDL, 118 - 142; Triglycerides, 54 - 33. The ratios with both sets of results (before and after primal plan) are all well within the ideal values, so no concerns there. However, my doctor will not be impressed with the high LDL reading when I have to see her again in October (after another blood test) following the first blood test results where the LDL was 'only' 118 and, after which, she wanted to consider statins for me. She gave me until Oct to try to bring the LDL down by adjusting my diet !! I am already on a few medications for hypertension so don't want to be adding more tablets ! Also, I am unable to exercise other than very steadily as I have an aneurism on my aorta where it exits my heart...great care needed not to stress, raise BP or get pulse up too high. I really wanted to get an expert opinion on this and I hope that you consider yourself to be such an expert or, if not, you might advise me on how I can get the question to, say, Mark himself ?? I am a very new newby and totally unfamiliar with blogging/streams etc. Thanking you in anticipation. Bill
          What I want to find out is will the LDL ever come down using the

Comment

• Will the LDL ever come down using the primal eating plan ? Is what it should have said above....Bill

Comment

• The error is thinking that LDL number is a problem.

Comment

• billfergy - try calculating your ratios found here:

at Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

I think you'll get a much better picture.
                My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Working...
                X