No announcement yet.

Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Griff. That's quite the reference article you've put together. /cheer

Comment

Have any of you tried to have the HDL/Trigs conversation with your doctors when they try to put you on statins?

I would imagine they are not very open to the idea....

Comment

Oh, my doctor hates me because I won't listen to him about my cholesterol results. *laugh*

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Well, while I'm over at v. 1 of this post wondering why so few comments, I later find the party is over here. (Your long post seems to have worked just fine, Griff.)

Since my comments were so important, I'm reposting. Yes, I'm joking.....

Great work! I'm cutting this out and pasting to a word document for saving. BTW, my blood stats done last fall certainly show the ravages of a high fat diet! (Snark)

Trig/HDL: 1.8 slightly better than ideal

Total/HDL: 3.2 about 60% of ideal

LDL/HDL: 1.9 less than half of typical

As I've said to others, it's too bad I don't believe in the lipid hypothesis of HD since my total is 174, about 40 points lower than when checked some years ago.

Darned artery clogging saturated fats! My ratios indicate that I should eat more carbs. Right?

1. Looking at your reference above http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/ , here is the damning conclusion about Trig/HDL ratios: "Nearly all routinely assessed lipid variables were associated with the extent of coronary disease, but only the ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol or to HDL-c were robustly associated with disease extent. Elevation in the ratio of TG to HDL-c was the single most powerful predictor of extensive coronary heart disease among all the lipid variables examined."

2. So I guess with my TG/HDL ratio I can stop obsessing about insulin insensitivity? Do you have a link about that?

Comment

Griff- Good job on not listening to your doctor. I thankfully have a great one that said once "you know what, I think we are all (doctors) full of sh*t, I don't know if anything we do makes a difference."

Of course I am pulling that from memory but that was the basic gist of it.

Side note: When I was a nurses aide in a nursing home, we would often have patients we believed were dying. We would put them on hospice care and then discontinue all meds (usually 20+) that weren't anxiety or pain related. You would not believe how many people perked right up and lived long past my leaving the job.

Comment

Hospice has about a 10% "cure" rate!

Comment

I had no idea that was the number. You would think this would make people question the medications we are putting people on.

Comment

It's not just "the medications." It's the intensive, focused care that results in discharge. Some of it finds better alternatives, sometimes just the very act of intensive love gives patients a new start.

Comment

Wow great post. Bump for a sticky.

Comment

I should add:

"It's like blaming firemen for a fire, or blaming a bandage for the wound, and saying "if we take away some firemen, the fire will die out," or "if we take the bandage off the wound, the wound will heal without help" (even though it's usually a wound that needs stitches in order to close up and heal). It's overly simplistic, it's a junior-high-school-level mistake, and it makes no sense."

And eating carbs is like throwing gasoline on that fire and expecting it to go out.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Thanks so much, Griff!!!

I'm looking at a pre-employment physical for the Sheriff's Department soon. The blood work should be interesting, as I am not eating my quota of donuts ;-)

ETA: Mark: I nominate this for a sticky, at the very least!

Comment

Griff. Wanted to post some info here. This is my snapshot of progress. On the surface it looks like I am heading backwards. My LDL is climbing and my triglycerides are climbing from 8 months. Not sure if it's because of alcohol since I know I've consumed more in the winter months. Exercise is about the same, not chronic cardio. I'd consider the last 6 months being 70-80% primal with a grain free approach. NOt super strict as in July of 09. Not to make this about me, but might be some fodder to notice. MY question, when does a "diet/lifestyle" effect blood cholesterol?

"6 Months of grain free, some alcohol, and lots of meat + veggies DIET"

Feb 2010

Total Cholesterol: 232

HDL: 69

Tris: 104

LDL: 142

VDL: 21

"Low-Fat; High Carb; 6 meals a day-DIET"

July 2009 14 hour fast

Total 203

Triglicerides: 90

HDL: 66

LDL: 119

"Dan the bread maker heaviest ever-DIET"

November 2007

Total: 207

Triglicerides: 210

HDL: 62

LDL: 103

"I don't care what I eat; nor did I exercise-DIET"

June 2006

Total: 196

Triglicerides: 123

HDL: 38

LDL: 138

http://sweat.danmerk.com

Comment

Great Post, but I have a general question, how would you improve your HDL levels?

Comment

Ann:

Seems to happen all by itself when you follow PB ;-)

Comment

Griff: thank you tons for doing a bunch of "leg work" for the rest of us, & putting it all in to plain words. I can't wait to compare my results between this yr's & last's when Health Fair comes to town. Last yr as a "healthy vegetarian", this yr mainly PB.

Comment

Working...
                                X