Nursing Home Serious Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    as far as the "confiscation" goes, i have heard of that but the typical course is to gift most of it to family instead of leaving an inheritance.
    I can't remember where you are? US? Some years back they changed the rules in the US, you must have "gifted" your estate at least 7 (I think) years prior to admission to the nursing home or they are subject to confiscation. I think too many people were doing what you had heard of so they put a stop to it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
      Have the rules changed? My grandmother lived in a nursing home some years ago and they did not have control of her finances. My mother had power of attorney and took care of all of her affairs. Medicare would not pay for the facility until she had run through her own money, though. This happened the month she died, so we never did have to deal with them. I think the rule, back then at least, was that she was allowed to keep a small amount of savings in reserve for final expenses but that was it.
      Your description is correct. My mother was a geriatric nurse and then a care manager at a nursing home. I grew up volunteering with mom on the weekends. The truth is that it is very sad. The place I was took good care of people, but it is very, very challenging to give awesome care to people with so many medical issues. Once there are cognitive issues on top of it, things are even harder.

No doubt there are serious abuses that go on. But it is a very difficult issue. People are living longer than they should.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I use to be a social worker in a nursing home. Many of them must follow strict Medicare guidelines are are subject to yearly state inspections. The residents who live in nursing homes have rights and the nursing home must accommodate their rights to a point. If you have concerns, a great advocate for the person living in the home, as well as their family members is the long term care ombudsman. They serve as advocates and mediators. All these issues could be explored with the LTC Ombudsman.

I do know that many will supply an alternative diet to meet the needs of their residents. If someone requests something very much out of the norm (a T-bone every night) the cost would fall to the resident. They do make substitutions though. Their meals are guided by dietitians, yet of course we know how skewed the recommended diet is here in the U.S.A!

Some nursing homes are wonderful. Residents create friends with staff and other residents and they can provide the support someone needs when others cannot take care of them.

I hope that helped.

Comment

Depends on the place. I worked at a home for 7 years that had the Eden philosophy, which called for the nursing home to be elder's HOME. Plants, animals, children, decor, all the things you would have at home. Elder was the boss, if they want to sleep in til noon, fine. If they didn't want to take calcium pills cuz they were too hard to swallow, fine. The residents plan the menus and even help cook some meals, bake cookies, give recipes to the kitchen to make. The halls are divided into neighborhoods and the neighbors have councils on events and schedules.

I wouldn't mind living there when I'm old.
          AND Grizz- They must have a Dr's order to administer even OTC meds, so get a script and he can have the vit D
          "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

Oh and the finance thing, it's a requirement of Title XIX that a person have no source of income (ie a house to sell for money) in order for them to pay for a nursing home. If Medicaid/Medicare is going to invest allllll that money in your care, they have to be sure you really don't have the money to pay for it yourself.
            "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

Some infections require quarantine! Ummmm tuberculosis for one...
              Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

People need to get tough and serious about their health so they don't end up in nursing homes. I wish intermittent fasting would catch on with the public but it's not likely it ever will.
                There's at home care, not sure how much more expensive that is but insurance covers it. People have options, they don't have to go to nursing homes. What we need to hear more of is how awful nursing homes are- there is some outcry but true to everything in this country not much.

Comment

Unfortunately, elderly abuse and neglect are huge problems today. Many facilities do not treat their seniors with respect or dignity. It can be difficult to choose a facility for your loved one knowing this. Many senior citizens are upset by having to give up their freedom.

It is a very scary thing that our senior are being neglected and abused. Here are a couple of articles that have valuable information about protecting yourself and loved one when considering assisted living or a home for them.

Senior Care - What is an Ombudsman?

National Center on Elder Abuse - Administration of Aging

Long-term Care Ombudsman Program

I hope these resources answer your questions. It can be a hard decision and preparing yourself will help you make it.

Comment

Working...
                  X