Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Grok being stupid, or was he that smart?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*avoiding Creation/Evolution argument subtly*

You only have to look at kids playing with matches, and at how campfires entrance us now to see some kind of curiosity/fascination there.
    They say that young men are the most likely to die accidentally because they hit that risk taking, discovery making stage. If it works, wooo we get fire, and a new continent to explore - or more likely now a skydiving trip or a new invention. If it doesn't work, well we get in a right bloody mess....

So, smart and stupid have as thin a dividing line as madness and genius...

Comment

think about it though, humans are the only "animal" that uses fire, however we arent the only animal that has been around for millions of years. id say fire really did little for the survival of mankind, we just learned to use it in our adaptation/evolution
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

and like john, id still like to know which god you guys are speaking of specifically?
        Primal Chaos
        37yo 6'5"
        6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
        current 338lbs 49" waist
        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Perhaps we are the only ones able to create and control fire, rather than opportunistically "use" it.... I'm sure scavengers have a feast after a bush fire...

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            alg2435, I'm impressed by your forwardness and the fact you have a level enough head to stick around. You knew when you posted about God you'd be harassed, and that's always confounded me. Will God reward us for intentionally mentioning him in places where the persecution comes easy? But I do believe God made the world, I just don't see why we can't all be right at the same time. God made the original animals, then they adapted with the changing earth. As for Man, we know we are inbred so we did change after the flood, and who did Cain and Abel marry? Something related?
            And I doubt I'll do it again. I knew there would definitely be conflicting ideas, but I was still a little surprised at the lack of respect. Oh well. After the initial shock, I had a good laugh. Anyways, I'm not looking for a reward from God, just stating my thoughts in a forum that was made for sharing thoughts and for helping each other out.

I think our bodies were made with the amazing ability to adapt. I mean, look at what people are eating these days, and still looking and feeling healthy! For example, Mark's recent posts about marathon training, and what you can do to make your body functions work together to momentarily 'adapt'.
            Last edited by alg2435; 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM. Reason: wrong wording
            Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

But respect goes both ways...your post informed us that our opinions were all wrong and only yours was right..."you may not believe it but it's true"

You need to give respect to get some

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
                But respect goes both ways...your post informed us that our opinions were all wrong and only yours was right..."you may not believe it but it's true"

You need to give respect to get some
                Then none of us would ever state our opinions if that's what respect is. What I mean by 'disrespect' is that people were acting a little, erm, uncivilized by using the words 'idiot' and something to the effect of 'monkey-brains'...

Comment

Your monkeybrain apparently has a strange view of the word "uncivilised".
                  Its uncivilised to say "im right, you dont know but i am" based on retarded stories, me noticing your monkeybrain on the other hand is a simple observation based on the facts given by said posts.

Comment

To be honest, ALL of these posts were disrespectful, assuming the other person is a moron. You can't just throw in something equivalent to "You guys are all wrong and I'm unquestionably right" without expecting an argument, then get upset when people get annoyed. But I would hope there would be a better argument than "idiot", "monkey form" brain, "monkeybrain" and "restarded". Seriously.

Originally posted by alg2435 View Post
                    Ummm God created us as we are now. Intelligent and masters of our world. I can't force you to believe it too, but it's the truth.
                    Originally posted by catherine p. View Post
                    The curious man is asking question
                    The scientist is looking for answers
                    The idiot thinks he already has the truth.....
                    Originally posted by Nekron View Post
                    Isnt this perfect proof for the theory of evolution? I mean the brain of this person is obviously still in its original monkeyform.
                    Originally posted by Nekron View Post
                    Your monkeybrain apparently has a strange view of the word "uncivilised".
                    Its uncivilised to say "im right, you dont know but i am" based on retarded stories, me noticing your monkeybrain on the other hand is a simple observation based on the facts given by said posts.
                    And I'm saying this as a Christian, though maybe not the best example of one you could find. And yes, I'm a Christian that believes evolution is most likely true, though I still weigh evidence constantly, just like I do with everything else in life. Guess that makes me a freak all around.
                    Durp.

Comment

RitaRose: So true. I'm very sorry if what I said was offensive to any of you...should have thought over my word choices a little bit longer.

Please, continue with the intended discussion! It's a really interesting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by cwhitson View Post
                        The narrator expounded that humans were the first animals that did not run away from (and fear) fire.
                        This is total and complete BS. I've walked through many forest fires and you know what? Animals run TOWARD the fire. Birds will be sitting in the trees like normal. Bears will come running in from all directions. Everybody's looking for the food that a fire brings forth. The pinyon pines explode from their pine cones. Little animals can't outrun the flames so birds of prey get easy meals. Insects have lost their homes and shelter and are easy pickings for other birds and animals. A forest fire is a feast for the forest animals, the ones that don't get burned up anyway. I'm betting that it was humans that learned from the other animals, being fairly stupid without cultural transmission of information, not the other way around as this stupid documentary suggests.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My point was not to be disrespectful but rather to express that there is no possible debate if someone says they already know the truth. And perhaps it is a little dumb to waste your time arguing with lesser beings that do not possess the truth ...

Comment

I agree with RitaRose on this one. As Carl Sagan so astutely put it, "The solution to a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." (<-- That's paraphrased, I didn't want to look up the exact quote.)

But basically, don't assume someone is an idiot just because they believe one way or the other. I was Christian most of my life. While I feel there is compelling evidence against it, I don't think becoming an atheist transformed me from a stupid person into an enlightened person. If anything, I just now have exactly one less flawed belief (assuming I didn't gain one.) The point is, everyone has something they believe in which is blatantly wrong. So don't judge lest ye be judged, yada yada yada.
                            Call me cael if caeliumspecto is just too long.

Also, though I would never say anything I thought would hurt someone, I am not a health expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                              id say fire really did little for the survival of mankind, we just learned to use it in our adaptation/evolution
                              I'm just reading "catching fire" which takes the contrary view that the fact that our ancestors learned to use fire to cook food lead to giant leaps in evolution leading to modern mankind. Namely in the way that cooking food makes more easily digested, meaning they needed to spend a lot less time and energy grazing on hard to digest vegetation for more nutrition and also causing increases in brain size due to extra energy being available for brain development instead of being used for digestion of veg matter.

Also has interesting ideas on the advent of cooking being the basis of pair matching and emotional attachment between man and woman.
                              Basic premise being that once they started cooking those who cooked were at risk of having their food stolen by stronger others, so alliances formed and males protected females who in return would cook food for them, etc.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Aboriginals in Australia used to use fire to hunt. Start the fire and get the animals running from it. They used the technique so much that some theories posit that it's why most of Australia is a desert with no vegetation. Not sure how true that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X