No announcement yet.

Old Photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is interested in that book Mamagrok mentioned, i think I may have found its text online Weston Price Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

More old pics, just becuase it's a great site: Shorpy Historic Photo Archive | Vintage Fine Art Prints

Comment

Great photos! In the first one, and also the "incorrigible" on the oldest page of the blog, you can really see some of the effects of processed foods on the fces of the boys. Keeping in mind that factories started refining food in the mid-1800s, and that by 1930, there was hardly a remote tribe anywhere on the planet without ready access to these foods, these boys were already a generation or three in.

So what causes the obesity? It's not just the processed grains. (since these faces show the mark of deficiency, but they're still not fat), but I imagine we do eat a LOT more of them (7-11 servings a day, boys and girls!) than they did. Is it the HFCS? I tend to think it's the low-fat nonsense, since all the women in my family, no matter how old, got fat in the 80s, when fat-phobia really started getting a foothold.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Amazing - just for fun I went and looked at some photos of Joan Crawford, Grace Kelly, Greer Garson, Lauren Bacall, Barbara Stanwyck (in my avatar), and Olivia de Havilland. Also Cary Grant, Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, and Gary Cooper.

Now, these people were in pictures in part because they were good-looking - but the guys had CHINS and they look like men, and the women have fabulous cheekbones and jawlines.

From this:

To this:

Last edited by AuH2Ogirl; 07-29-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Now THAT's an underbite!

Yes, they were in pictures b/c they were good-looking ... and that's part of the shame of today. If the best we can come up with - and Kardashian is definitely considered "hot", and is not atypical, and Lebeouaieouaief is playing action heroes - have underdeveloped cheekbones, foreheads, noses, and chins, that means the pickin's are slim indeed.

Comment

mamagrok... I was thinking about women we see w/strong jaws, cheekbones, nicely spaced eyes and thought of Gabrielle Anwar she's got similar face structure as lauren hutton..
              Google Images
              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
              SW 190lb
              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
              GW ~135lbs
              5'3"
              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

She has a narrow palate and slightly weak chin, but you're right that her jaws, cheekbones, and eyes and forehead are well developed. Apparently she's half British, and then a mix of Jewish & (east) Indian, so maybe a little more removed from the nappy eating of most of us in her father's line?

Comment

I just looked up a few more. Greta Garbo's face is a bit narrow bu tnot bad. Grace Kelly's is almost perfect, just a little narrow in the cheekbones (one of my tests is, does that nose look comfortable to breathe through?), and Bette Davis' is fabulous!

I can't believe how much I can see of this stuff now; I was so clueless what to look for when I first started reading N&PD. Another of my tests is to look for whether the teeth make a deep U or a wide C (the latter is better). With practice, you can start to tell even when their mouths are closed, no teeth in sight.

Comment

So this thread got me looking around the ole interwebs for images of greek facial features, which somehow ended up leading me to this piece of racist rhetoric apparently refuting the study reported in this news article.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are still people that think this way running around. So much for Darwinism....
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

So having a broad forehead, huge cheeks and a chin only Bruce Campbell could love means I have a strong face? Maybe a square jaw is hiding under the chub,right now it's just kind of round. When I smile I look like a caricature, no extra exaggeration needed.

Also I a pretty defined caveman brow ridge.

Heellloooo ladies!
                      Last edited by Darbyfett; 07-29-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                        She has a narrow palate and slightly weak chin, but you're right that her jaws, cheekbones, and eyes and forehead are well developed. Apparently she's half British, and then a mix of Jewish & (east) Indian, so maybe a little more removed from the nappy eating of most of us in her father's line?
                        I dunno - I was looking at her thinking about this just last night, actually, while watching Burn Notice and thinking she didn't have a great face in the respect we're talking about here.

I was trying to think of who does these days, and Jennifer Lopez sprang to mind.

Mila Kunis has a pretty strong face, also.
                        Last edited by AuH2Ogirl; 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Misabi, what I find interesting is that he says Canadians have narrower cheekbones, closer eyes, etc., but if true at all, it was much less so 200 years ago.. what ne claims to be beauty is food distortions.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            So what causes the obesity? It's not just the processed grains. (since these faces show the mark of deficiency, but they're still not fat), but I imagine we do eat a LOT more of them (7-11 servings a day, boys and girls!) than they did.
                            This is what Gary Taubes keeps asking himself in Good Calories, Bad Calories—is obesity caused by excessive carbohydrates or excessive refined carbohydrates? He doesn't seem to come to any firm conclusion. He does say on occasion that it can't be just processed food, bad as it is, since you had fat populations before that came along—in some very poor areas of the world. I guess the Pima after their hunting grounds got cleaned out by American immigrants pushing West and they turned to largely carbohydrate food would be another example—I think he has cited them in that connection. There's a hint here and there that Taubes thinks the problem may be specifically sugar. I think he's said that perhaps the combination of readily available glucose and of fructose in one package, as you get with sucrose, may be what does it.

Certainly the quantity of sugar in the diet climbs year after year. I think the average amount consumed in the U.S. around the time of the Civil War was 15 lb per person per annum. Now?

In 2003, each person consumed about 142 pounds of sugar per year. ...

Since high-fructose corn syrup was developed more than 30 years ago, consumption of the sweetener, which flavors everything from soda pop to ranch dressing, has skyrocketed. Now Americans down about 61 pounds a year each.
                            One sweet nation - US News and World Report

It seems to me that while these people in the 20s, 30s, 50s or whatever had refined carbohydrates, they didn't have to try to live on them in lieu of meat, fish, and eggs, as people in some of these very poor places did. So probably most of them ate too much of them, but there was a limit to that, because they weren't trying to replace other, more nutritious, foods with them. I wonder if when you add as much sugar and HFCS as people in rich countries have done now whether that limit's suddenly gone. There's a limit to how much bread anyone's likely to want to eat, specially when there are other choices. But Coca Cola? HFCS-laced cake?

Of course, the other problem with all the sugar is what it does to bone-structure. Weston Price:

An illustration of an extreme condition of bone softening by this process is shown in Fig. 94, lower section, which is the skeleton of a monkey that was a house pet. It became very fond of sweets and was fed on white bread, sweetened jams, etc., as it ate at the same table with its mistress. Note that the bones became so soft that the pull of the muscles distorted them into all sorts of curves. Naturally its body and legs were seriously distorted. In this condition my patient, whom I was serving professionally, asked me for advice regarding her monkey's deformed legs and distorted body. I suggested an improved nutrition and provided fat-soluble vitamins consisting of a mixture of a high vitamin butter oil and high vitamin cod liver oil with the result that minerals were deposited on the borders of the vertebrae and joints and on the surfaces of the bones as shown in the illustration. This of course, could not correct the deformity and the animal was chloroformed.
                            Distorted monkey skeleton at the bottom here:

Comment

I found one I found one! A current actor who has a great facial and body structure. Luke Evans:
                              Now, there's a guy who has room for all of his teeth.

Okay, so he's from Wales ... better food there than the Brits? ... and 32. I guess I still haven't found one under 30. He's a dead ringer for Orlando Bloom, who's another who has excellent facial structure from the front, but the side profile shows something is slightly off - I'm just not sure what it is, technically speaking. A receding forehead and chin that reflects any increasing body fat %? Whatever it is, I think Evans will age better than Bloom.
                              File:OrlandoBloomJuly06.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's another dude who I'm sure never needed braces, Tahmoh Penikett (half Brit, half First Nations Canadian)

Still over 30, though.

I've been trying to find ladies, and the closest I found was Evangeline Lilly at 31 and she's still very, very far from a good facial structure.
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM. Reason: apparently I committed "bandwidth theft" from The Hunkies

Comment

Here ya go:

Tricia Helfer, 36

I found one, I found one! Only 25! But from ... Brazil. (I was shocked; I see her in the Lands' End catalog all the time and couldn't believe I finally found an American under 30 with good face structure). Possibly slightly underdeveloped middle or lower third of face, but otherwise very strong. Narrow build, though, esp. compared to Helfer.
                                Cintia Dicker

Still looking for one, even one, American celebrity under 30 with good facial structure and build.

Maybe Rob Pattinson? face maybe, body, hrmm not sure.
                                Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X