Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence for One Meal a Day

The Skinny On The Meal Frequency Studies | Muscle & Strength

Apparently, fasting morning glucose was higher in the group of one meal/day, but here is the catch: if blood glucose and insulin response had been checked in the afternoon, the results could have been quite different. Evidently, subjects on one meal/day have a different daily metabolic cycle than people on three meals per day. If the researchers had checked blood glucose of subjects on three meals/day in the afternoon, they would most likely find elevated glucose and a slower insulin response – compared to the subjects on one meal/day – during the afternoon (after sufficient post meal fasting time), their blood glucose would most likely be lower with a faster insulin response.
    Other scientists worldwide have also been realizing that the human body is not programmed for frequent feeding. The facts speak for themselves – in spite of dieting more than ever, people today are getting fatter and sicker than ever. Obesity has reached an epidemic proportion of 30%, diabetes 12%, pre-diabetes 25%, blood sugar disorders, roughly 50%, Syndrome X 20%, male impotence about 15%, estrogen disorders are virtually 100%, and prostate disorders will eventually occur to virtually 100% of males. And all these maladies occur when the vast majority of people have been eating 3 – 4 meals per day. How much more do we need to suffer before realizing that something is very wrong with our diet routines and particularly with the frequency upon which we have been shoving food into our bodies?
    Previous studies on intermittent fasting in lab animals revealed the amazing benefits of lower meal frequency on increasing life span, improving blood glucose, enhancing neuro protective capacity and improving body composition. More studies need to be done on human feeding but with more care towards real life conditions – how, for instance, the reduction of meal frequency affects calorie intake and food choices – naturally (rather than artificially by force feeding the subjects).
    Don't call it 'intermittent fasting'. Call it 'eating one meal a day'.

I'm really thinking of attempting this again. I did it once and felt great while doing it, then got all paranoid that I was hurting myself and went back to eating 2-4 times a day. Maybe it's worth another go.

Comment

This works well for me, except during my menstrual cycle--then I tend to "graze" within an 8 hour window.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

It works well for me. I think I feel best when I eat once a day. I often eat twice a day on training days, but I'm trying to add just a little bit more muscle. On weekends I usually just eat once. The second meal on lifting days is kinda forced as I'm not really hungry at that point. I like having at least several hours between my meals when I do eat more than 1 a day and meal #1 isn't early enough due to my work/gym schedule to allow enough time for me to really be ready for meal #2. Oh well, I can't complain too much!

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
          I'm really thinking of attempting this again. I did it once and felt great while doing it, then got all paranoid that I was hurting myself and went back to eating 2-4 times a day. Maybe it's worth another go.
          Same here! I felt great, and dropped a lot weight while doing this. I stopped around the holidays, and ended up going back to my usual self. I've listened to Pkopp about his strategy to get back into eating one meal a day. Today is my first day where I haven't had anything to eat since last night (6ish), and I haven't felt hungery at all. At this point it's 3PM, and I'm going till dinner! Woot!

Comment

Way to go!

I was *supposed* to pull a 30-36 hour fast yesterday, but I just wasn't feeling it. Ate a crap ton of food (Primal) from 4pm-10pm and felt better. Haven't eaten since then. Gonna snag a quick protein shake at 5 before I leave work, then make a proper dinner when I get home from picking up eggs.

Comment

When you fast, I am not sure how that works.. Do you drink water or do you simply not eat and drink for say 17+ hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Archer View Post
                When you fast, I am not sure how that works.. Do you drink water or do you simply not eat and drink for say 17+ hours?
                Drink water! It's a requirement for your body. You could still have a snack if you really needed it. I'm not advocating 'fasting' per say. I'm proposing that the most natural diet for your body is one meal per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Archer View Post
                  When I fast, whether it's 14 or 36 hours, I always allow water, coffee & tea.

Comment

How big should the meal be to Gain muscle? Should differ on training days?

Comment

I do this quite frequently. Unfortunately big meals make me horny after I eat them.
                      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by reedol View Post
                        How big should the meal be to Gain muscle? Should differ on training days?
                        I think you will adapt your meal to whatever you are needing.

I promote nearly daily training because it promotes the circulation that will get all those nutrients to your muscles.

Circulation is king. Nutrition is queen. That's straight from Jack LaLanne's mouth.
                        Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-29-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                          I do this quite frequently. Unfortunately big meals make me horny after I eat them.
                          It's changed my hormones cycles so I feel like that pretty much all afternoon/evening.

Comment

To me, one-meal-a-day such a dramaticly good thing to do. I can 'get away' with eating ice cream for dinner and not feeling too bad the next day. It's giving me plenty of fat, it's refilling my glycogen. These ice creams are made of coconut oil or organic milk (take your pick). These are solid sources of fuel. All I need is a protein source like canned salmon and I'm eating a freakin' junk food dinner for kings.

Ice cream and salmon is not a daily thing of course. I'm just trying to illustrate that one meal a day eases pressures inside my body to the point that it is susceptible to a wider range of caloric sources. Primal caloric sources are great and usable in a one-meal-a-day plan, but your body will still feel close to 'primal' without them every single day.

Comment

I'm basically talking to myself at this point, but I'd like to say one more thing.

Some people want to focus on the health benefits on just one system in their body. I.E., muscular to gain weight. Or, the integumentary sytem to lose fat. The Primal Blueprint attacks wrong doings on the digestive system--and rightfully so! I never even used to think that gas meant my stomach was having issues with food. With that said, below is a list of all the main systems in the body. They are all somewhat connected to each other. Respect each area, and you'll be happier with your end goal if you have one. For me, it's my way of critically looking at how I should really be eating. Or, seeing how I feel after eating a certain way. Without going into great detail this very moment, I feel that my new thing of eating one meal a day has improved these systems above where they were previously.

Circulatory system
                              Digestive system
                              Endocrine system
                              Integumentary system
                              Lymphatic system
                              Muscular system
                              Nervous system
                              Respiratory system
                              Skeletal system
                              Urinary system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_systems

Comment