Vitamin D for the win!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D for the win!

I've now seen three mainstream articles touting the importance of vitamin D in our life...

Lack of vitamin D is risk for depression, heart disease:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/16/moh.healthmag.vitamind.heart.depression/index.html

H1N1 linked to vitamin D deficiency:

http://thebulletin.us/articles/2009/11/15/top_stories/doc4b004bbeeeca0983629489.txt

Vitamin D and athletic endurance:

http://running.competitor.com/2009/1...-exercise_6776

There's a big vitamin D movement up here where I live. I asked our local health food store guy about Vitamin D and he assured me that the companies he deals with are going to be introducing a 5000iu tablet very soon.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I've been partial to the Carlson's D Drops as of late. I just put them in my glass of water each morning and drink. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to swallowing pills

Comment

I can understand that. The ones that I take have very little lubricant on them so they get real chalky real fast if I have problems getting them down. blech.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I have read on the "heartscan blog" that the tablet forms of Vit D are not as effective as the oil based ones. If you believe Dr. Davis, you should be taking D3 in oil form:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...in-d-form.html

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

What are some good whole foods sources of vitamin D? Iíve been eating quite a bit of shrimp as well as sitting and reading by my south facing window when I can.

Comment

Good food sources? Oily fish. Still not even remotely close to sitting in the sun for 20 minutes, though.

Sun, sun, sun.

If you're working on getting your levels up, supplement (or if you're working to support the immune system) - I like the Solar D Gems from Carlson: 4000IU/ea plus some fish oil in the mix. 2-3 a day, 4 if I feel sniffly or cold-like stuff.

But best, cheapest, and easiest? SUN.

Comment

The problem is relying strictly on the sun this time of year depending on your lattitude(and also your ethnic heritage) you may not be able to get enough. Plus, you need to have a good amount of skin exposed as well. I take fermented cod liver oil- as it has a balance of A and D and is naturally occuring vitamins.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

I always wonder if these one hit wonders will ever end. People here embrace vitamin D and its' benefits, but also pay attention to a healthy lifestyle. The average person out there buying a vitamin D tablet is seeing so many benefits partly due to placebo and partly due to its' the only healthy thing they're actually doing.

If they only knew that you could wake up every morning feeling better then great, and stay that way the rest of the day until you fell into a deep sleep only to wake up to the same thing.

Just venting I guess, if you're gonna tell people to take D then maybe tell them a few other things too.

sigpic
                  In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Right, but raising awareness that deficiencies can cause serious health problems is a start.

Understood about getting D through natural sunlight but this isn't always possible for those of us who live in dreary, wintery conditions. I'll take the sun when I can get it. Otherwise, I rely on supplementation and whole food sources (wild salmon).

I tried indoor tanning for a while but that just led to my skin looking something like Leatherface.

Comment

I live in Wisconsin and we get less and less sunshine come October. It gets called so whatever time you're able to spend outside you're completely covered in clothes.

I just bought some 5,000UI little pills that are oil-based and that look like midget fish oil pills. They go down very, very easy but I still have to fill the effects on my general mood.

Comment

mrd232 - Are those the solar D gems you're taking from carlson? I know the solar gems are chewable (it's a little weird at first but now I love it). Maybe read your bottle and see if yours are also chewable. It'll probably have a lemon flavor to it if it is.

Comment

I thought most fish oil is heavily processed & have the natural vitamins removed & synthetics usually replacing them?

All I do know is to make sure it is D3 Heard this is processed from sheep wool - ? Wondering what that actual process is...I suppose the oils in the wool. Anyone know?

I'm lucky to be in the southwest - even today, after a little snow, it clears up immediately & I can sit outside on my lunch break & get at least 15 minutes in.

Comment

We're partial to high-vitamin Fermented Cod Liver oil as a natural & very decent (non-sun) source of Vitamin D. We're taking more it it during the winter months. We buy the Blue Ice version from Dr.Ron's. The Western A Price Foundation has more on Vitmain D & cod liver oil (specifically) if you're interested.

Comment

I use those fish oils too. Someone was mentioning little D tablets that also have fish oil..wondering how those are processed. Also, it's a little confusing about the antagonistic qualities of A on D. I'm assuming there is a natural synergy or reason - if you were a hunter/gatherer outdoors most of the time & also eating plenty of high VitA foods, like organ meats perhaps the action of A on D keeps toxicity down? Pure speculation. My point being is that some folks (I think on this forum?) mentioned they had low VitD despite taking a good cod liver oil. Read on 'high fat nutrition' blog the speculation that low VitD may be an indicator of underlying issue or disease, sort of like cholersterol isn't a culprit in & of itself but can be indicative of some other issue (and cholesterol acts as a protectanct).

Comment

Working...
                              X