Energy Expenditure Downregulates In Response To Increased Activity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy Expenditure Downregulates In Response To Increased Activity

This study will interest anyone interested in the eat less move more hypothesis of weight regulation and manipulation . Specifically that moving more equates to an increased caloric burn and thus can be used as a tool for weight loss.

This study, undertaken on the Hadza tribe (a tribe with a diet consisting mainly of honey, lean meats and starch), outlines that energy expenditure can down-regulate to compensate and prevent energy expenditure exceeding the bodies current and predictive energy reserves.

Hunter-Gatherer Energetics and Human Obesity

Western lifestyles differ markedly from those of our hunter-gatherer ancestors, and these differences in diet and activity level are often implicated in the global obesity pandemic. However, few physiological data for hunter-gatherer populations are available to test these models of obesity. In this study, we used the doubly-labeled water method to measure total daily energy expenditure (kCal/day) in Hadza hunter-gatherers to test whether foragers expend more energy each day than their Western counterparts. As expected, physical activity level, PAL, was greater among Hadza foragers than among Westerners. Nonetheless, average daily energy expenditure of traditional Hadza foragers was no different than that of Westerners after controlling for body size. The metabolic cost of walking (kcal kg−1 m−1) and resting (kcal kg−1 s−1) were also similar among Hadza and Western groups. The similarity in metabolic rates across a broad range of cultures challenges current models of obesity suggesting that Western lifestyles lead to decreased energy expenditure. We hypothesize that human daily energy expenditure may be an evolved physiological trait largely independent of cultural differences.

For more Primal Research and studies that will help you improve your health and fitness: find our Science Research Page HERE

Wow, very interesting. I have noticed working out didn't help me lose weight, and it usually causes weight gain due to its tendency to increase appetite.
    But this is very interesting. Maybe the Hadza people walk more and eat more because they find more food ???

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Srinath itís not just workout you have to control diet and habits to make it happen.

Comment

That whole eat less move more, and move even more while eating even less was far too painful to me. I can eat less, in fact I eat nothing at all, but nothing more than light exercise. Walking is a good one, but that's about it.
        Thanks.
        Srinath.

Comment

Energy expenditure is dynamic. It's not something ordinary people can measure easily at home. However, it does draw on energy obtained from previous food intake. Your calculations of exactly how much you have to eat and move may be off, but eating more and moving less is still a ticket to Fatville.

Comment

I am proof that the train back from fatville involves not moving much and eating a lot less and nearly all of that eating concentrated in ~1hr a week.
            How to sustain it, or get better health, or make it permanent ... you got me. Its just a way to lose. No idea what happens after that.

Thanks.
            Srinath.

Comment

srinath_69 - you mean you're eating only during 1 hr/week and fasting the rest of the time? Is that correct? If so, how long d'you plan on doing this? Aren't you already close to maintenance weight anyway?
              *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
              *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
              *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
                I am proof that the train back from fatville involves not moving much and eating a lot less and nearly all of that eating concentrated in ~1hr a week.
                One train back involves those things. Not THE train. More than one way to lose weight, and they all involve energy balance. There is nothing mystical. You don't have to do the hokey pokey and follow XYZ protocol. Such protocols may help some people, but there is no magic.

Comment

thanks for sharing ..

Daily articles and advice of loosing weight, fitness, pregnancy, diet plans and other health related issues from thehealthking.com find how to manage debates & depression etc

Comment

Working...
                  X