Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

high fat diet may improve mental functioning.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high fat diet may improve mental functioning.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/w...1014-gwr7.html

Fascinating study! Thanks for the link.

Comment

And yet there was that study all over the media only two months ago about mice injected (IIRC) with fat were the lazy ones.

Surely, you inject your fats, too, right?

Comment

Here we go again. At the end of the article: ""Most of the studies indicate that a diet of saturated fats like those found in junk food reduces cognitive performance,'' said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a physiological science professor at UCLA who was not involved in the study. "I will be more interested to see what they find when they monitor the composition of the diet.''"

Comment

Heh wouldn't be surprised if those studies Fernando talks about were done using just correlation between high saturated fat usage and cognitive performance. Correlation doesn't prove causation. Eating saturated fats at Mcdonald's all the time may very well screw your brain over. Now, from organic fertilized eggs...I don't think so.

Comment

Fat fueled Grok reacted to those mastodons fast, now.

Carb laden Grok got stepped on.

Comment

"saturated fats like those found in junk food"??? Like they're not found anywhere else? Sheesh!!! I, too, would like to see the composition. . .did they not specifically mention butter?

Comment

This is a great link for "FlyNavyWife"! Her husband was reluctant to follow the PB way because of the dietary affects it may have on his physical requirements, since he's a Navy Jet Pilot.

Comment

There is a new drug to help Alzheimer's patients, Axona. It's a powder to mix with juice. What does it do?????

Increases the ketones in your serum! Now, where would they have ever gotten the idea for that? Counter-CW nutrional data?

Comment

Mmmmm hmmmm....

I read up on this Dr. ( http://coconutketones.blogspot.com/ ) She is treating her husband with Coconut oil.

They (a scientist she is partnering with) have found that by further producing Ketones in a lab that are very potent, that they ultimately combat and prevent Alzheimer's Disease.

Problem is, he needs $16 Mill to create a factory that would mass produce the stuff and be affordable to the general public.

Further investigating his findings, sounds like a Ketogenic diet is the ticket!

Comment

After reading OTBs comment, I tried to look up for this neurologist's blog where he says seizures and migraines can be treated with MCT Oil (the main component of CO), but I can't seem to find it now. He said ketogenic diets are very effective in treating seizures, but instead of going into ketosis, one can achieve similar results by taking MCT Oil.

Comment

The article does go to say that the meals didn't look that different, so it wasn't like they fed one group big macs and the other one raw veggies. It was something along to lines of what dressing and extra toppings one group received as compared to others...

So possibly more valid that the mice study?

And how come no one is commissioning a study source of fat/carbs/protein for the equivalent ratio consumed?

Comment

Regarding myself as a Guinea Pig (n=1)...

I find that my decision-making under the influence of adrenaline is a LOT better on PB (which is good, because I do security for a living).

Comment

Working...
                          X