Dangers of chronic cardio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangers of chronic cardio

See what happened to a world champion triathlete - http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3147421.htm
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Damn, could this be an isolated incident? Either way the idea that triathletes, endurance runners, etc are people in top physical condition is wrong, but one that is widely accepted as fact.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
      Damn, could this be an isolated incident? .
      i don't think so. the video pointed out a test of 40 marathoners, where only one was unaffected, and 9 of them died earlier than they should.

that's a pretty eye-opening report. i've never been one for long-endurance style training (unless you count long bouts of hiking), but i'm sure i won't be training for any marathons now.
      it would be great to see how these findings compare to athletes who are taking things a little slower, keeping their heart rate under 75% max. i suppose if they are not breathing as hard and their hearts pumping as fast, the damage--if any--would be significantly reduced.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Yeah that was a pretty crazy report. Thankfully most people don't train nearly as hard as that one girl did in the report. She was logging 100km of jogging and 350-400 km of cycling per week as well as swimming 30-35km. That is a lot for the heart to take. My uncle is a cardiologist and he used to play college basketball when he was in med school. He has a malfunctioning left ventricle too now and he thinks it was from overtraining. The report did shock me about the 40+ marathoners who had ventricular damage and how 9 of them died within 5 years. That was definitely an eye opener.
        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Running on Empty segment of PBS Nova's Dying to be Thin.

Comment

World champions in any sport usually take performance enhancing drugs in addition to exercising many hours every day. I'd argue they couldn't even train as much as they do without the drugs.

Comment

@PrimalRob, I think if training for a marathon was something you have wanted to do then don’t let this derail you. You’re talking about people that literally ran themselves to the ground.

Training for a single marathon, or one every couple of years or so just can’t be THAT detrimental to the body.

Also, aren’t the vast majority of endurance athletes vegetarian or something? They were probably lacking in other areas while pushing their bodies to the limit constantly. I have no desire currently to do any training such as theirs, but maybe in the future, and I won’t let this article sway me too much.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickF View Post
                World champions in any sport usually take performance enhancing drugs in addition to exercising many hours every day. I'd argue they couldn't even train as much as they do without the drugs.
                Interesting. I wonder if there are any other confounding variables - like diet - that may contribute to worsening the effects of chronic, hardcore exercise.
                Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I wonder if Dean Karnazes has this problem since he is paleo?

Comment

And I just ran my first five miles the other day....

Comment

Originally posted by coach81 View Post
                      And I just ran my first five miles the other day....
                      You were probably joking, but in case anyone else reading gets confused: you have to run WELL OVER 5 miles daily to get anywhere close to this.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        @PrimalRob, I think if training for a marathon was something you have wanted to do then don’t let this derail you. You’re talking about people that literally ran themselves to the ground.

Training for a single marathon, or one every couple of years or so just can’t be THAT detrimental to the body.

Also, aren’t the vast majority of endurance athletes vegetarian or something? They were probably lacking in other areas while pushing their bodies to the limit constantly. I have no desire currently to do any training such as theirs, but maybe in the future, and I won’t let this article sway me too much.
                        yeah, i don't think a marathon is really for me anyway. i'm more of a seven summits kind of guy anyway. (a guy a couple towns over from me just finished all seven a couple years ago...huge inspiration)

but i agree that a lot of endurance athletes are vegetarians. i used to have a subscription to runners world magazine, and it always felt like their nutritional advice was way farther into the vegetarian camp than the paleo/primal/lifting camp...but that probably has more to do with carb energy
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Gulp...is soccer chronic cardio...either way, I don't care, that is something I am not giving up.

Comment

It is a well-known fact that chronic cardio is far from healthy. See, for example:

Here and Here

Comment

Chronic cardio is a addiction.

Comment

Working...
                              X