Vitamin D Controversy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D Controversy

My mom and I have been having a little argument about Vitamin D--I've been saying it's healthy and you need about half an hour a day at the very least, but she's very skeptical. Today she sent me an email with the following points and the CW websites from whence they came.

"1. Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin D

Vitamin D toxicity can cause non-specific symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, polyuria, and heart arrhythmias. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium which leads to vascular and tissue calcification, with subsequent damage to the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys [1]. The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/

2. Avoid doses of vitamin D above 1000 IU, as this can be toxic.

http://www.pamf.org/patients/CalciumHandout.html"

My question is, do you guys know of any websites or studies that can prove this garbage wrong?

Thanks and Grok On!

Vitamin D Council

Comment

Fantastic! That's literally EXACTLY the info I was looking for--and it was in the very first sentence! Thanks a lot. Now I can go and win an argument with my mom :P

Comment

What garbage?
        Toxic or not, if your body only requires X amount of something per day to thrive and be healthy, whats the point of cramming 10 times that amount in?
        Convincing the naive masses that we are all somehow 'deficient' in this or that is a great way to sell supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
          Toxic or not, if your body only requires X amount of something per day to thrive and be healthy, whats the point of cramming 10 times that amount in?
          New mechanisms inside the human body that depend on vitamin D are discovered every year. We don't know what's the amount X needed by all of these mechanisms that have been discovered (just for the most basic ones) and we certainly don't know the correct amount for the mechanisms not yet discovered.

I think an argument based on supply during human evolution is much more convincing than an argument based on demand determined by a preliminary understanding of its function in the human body.

Comment

I have to say I'm skeptical about Vitamin D supplementation (not sun). Mostly because the entire medical establishment is pushing it as a cure-all for everything, which immediately gets my flags up. I'm just not sure enough research is in to be definitive either way. And I'm also skeptical of supplementation in general because, as my doc hubby says, "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
            The Paleo Periodical
            It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
              "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
              I think he's 100% correct.

Supplement marketing is one of the biggest cons going - but a clever one.

There's a reason some company's re-worded their products as "supporting a healthy immune system" from "boost your immune system".

Comment

I was prescribed doses of 50,000 iu vitamin D by a reputable rheumatologist.

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                  Vitamin D Council
                  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
                    I have to say I'm skeptical about Vitamin D supplementation (not sun). Mostly because the entire medical establishment is pushing it as a cure-all for everything, which immediately gets my flags up. I'm just not sure enough research is in to be definitive either way. And I'm also skeptical of supplementation in general because, as my doc hubby says, "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
                    When I dared to express this very thing on "The Vitamin D Thread" on the Odds and Ends section I got royally jumped all over. I did a little digging into the Vitamin D Council. Every single one of their listed sponsors sells either vitamin D or Vitamin D testing kits. Why is it that we will rant about the evils of Big Pharma but when Big Vita (the gazillion $/yr supplement industry) tells us we are Deficient, GASP!, where is my debit card?

Comment

for me. taking 5k vit d 5 days a week
                      a) haven't had a sunburn since (very white girl who burns easily & spends a lot of time outside)
                      b) mood is up/stable
                      c) only had 1 cold since starting that dose 6 or so months ago & it was because I skipped several doses.
                      i was not PB compliant by any means until the first of Feb. so i can't say it was because i was eating pb/paleo.
                      i'll continue taking it at those levels
                      Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        When I dared to express this very thing on "The Vitamin D Thread" on the Odds and Ends section I got royally jumped all over. I did a little digging into the Vitamin D Council. Every single one of their listed sponsors sells either vitamin D or Vitamin D testing kits. Why is it that we will rant about the evils of Big Pharma but when Big Vita (the gazillion $/yr supplement industry) tells us we are Deficient, GASP!, where is my debit card?
                        I think it's always good to know who's funding what, but it kinda makes sense that folks who sell vit D related stuff would support an organization that promotes vit. D. That doesn't necessarily mean the integrity of the organization is compromised. I've never bought a testing kit, but vit D is one of the cheapest supplements you can buy. I can't imagine Big Pharma /Big Vita getting rich off of just vit. D supplement sales.

I'm one of those folks who rarely sees the sun. I just don't like being outside, though I try to get 30 minutes a day because it probably is good for me. I've seen dramatic improvements in mood since starting vit D supplementation. I also haven't really gotten sick (despite my hubs having 2 or 3 colds/flus)...but that's probably due to overall improvements in lifestyle - better food quality, less sugar/grains, less stress, better sleep in addition to supplementation.
                        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Vitamin D supplementation is breaking the bank for me. I spent $5 for 2 months worth of supps. Those fat cats are fleecing me. Anyone else have any good reasons why flus and colds are more prominant during the time you have the least sun exposure. It kinda makes sense.
                          Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

My endocronologist checks my Vitamin D level, along with my normal blood panel, every six months. Prior to taking 10k a day my levels were in the teens. With supplementation its in the 60's. I had severe depression during the winter prior to supplementation, not a problem any more. Also in the two plus years I've been supplementing I've not had any colds/flu/or any other associated issues. For me, it's a no brainer.

Comment

I try to get sunlight personally, but I also keep some cod liver oil around. I dose that in place of my normal O-3 Fish Oil to the tune of 3000 IU's of Vita D. I only do this when it seems I am getting the "winter blues". Symptoms being mild non-specific depression and "mental fog"

The only supliment I take on the regular are is Fish Oil. I have B12/B complex and Vitamen C around for when I need an extra boost in the morning. Taking the B12/C combo seems to get me moving when I am having trouble in the morning. All of this is just personal experience so YMMV.
                              Last edited by Kaeden; 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM.
                              If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X