Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: How do you cook Goat Meat

HELP !
    We have learned that Goat Meat is extremely difficult to cook. The result is always chewy, stringy & difficult to chew. We have tried everything we can think of.
    * Bake it long & slow
    * boiled it first, then bake it
    * cook it 24 hours in a crock pot
    * fry it
    * Cook in a pressure cooker
    * aged if for a week in the fridge before cooking
    * soak it in buttermilk in fridge all night before cooking
    The goat we butchered was only 6 months old.

What are we doing wrong? What is the SECRET to cooking goat so it is not chewy & stringy? At this point it seems to be MISSION IMPOSSIBLE !

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 02-02-2011, 03:37 AM.

Braises it, add water and lets it simmer on a low heat for a few hours. Always comes out tender.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

I usually put it in the crockpot. Use a tenderizer if you need to. I like using tomatoes. Yogurt works as well. Typically you'll end up with sort of a curry, which is FANTASTIC with goat.

Comment

Pressure cooker with tomatos. It's never come out stringy or tough here, just melt in the mouth tender.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

I've had very good results from my crockpot creations with goat. Low and slow seems to be the key.

Comment

Most goat that I've had is melt in your mouth tender. Stews/braised/birria in all cases. I wonder if it depends on the breed?

Gordo

Comment

it des depend on breed

Originally posted by gordo View Post
              Most goat that I've had is melt in your mouth tender. Stews/braised/birria in all cases. I wonder if it depends on the breed?

Gordo
              It does depend on the breed - you MUST track down Boer or Boer cross goats for top quality goat meat.

If you use the type of product we sell from Goat-meat.co.uk you will not be disappointed. We are one of the countries longest established and largest producers of only top quality goat meat.

Watch BBC2s The Great British menu, 7.30pm on weds 6th Feb. to see our product being cooked by Chef Michael Smith. Only top product is used on shows like this.

Then go to our web page to order and join our many happy and repeat customers.

Comment

yeah,i think so,water and lets it simmer on a low heat for a few hours. Always comes out tender. good info to me,thanks

Comment

Not adding enough iodine.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Grizz..................the poor little goat !!!!!!
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

we get wild goat here. how was it killed? i do know stressed meat is tough and i do know domestic goats are way smarter than sheep. i have had friends have them escape when the butcher was coming for example. also if it isnt chilled down quick enough that can make it tough. in terms of cooking, i usually just cook it like mutton. have you tried steaking and bashing it with a meat tenderiser?

Comment

To me, goat is pretty much always chewy. It's a pretty gamey meat... I think I still have some stuck in my teeth. :/

I wrap it in tinfoil coated in marinade (last night was maple/balsamic) I put it in the oven at 250 degrees Celsius for twenty five minutes. Tis is good because, at the ten minute mark, you can put in sweet potato chips as well to accompany it.
                        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                        MFP Food Diary:
                        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Was it hung at all?
                          I've had good things from Shawarma recipes done in the slow cooker Ottolenghi & Tamimi’s Lamb Shawarma phoenikia

How are you carving the meat? Across the grain I hope?

Comment

The big difference is between goat and chevon. Chevon, the meat of a kid, is very tender and juicy, loved by restaurants, easy to cook, and much more expensive than the meat of a full grown goat . It's like the difference between beef and veal, or mutton and lamb. The meat of an old ram actually stinks with testosterone. I disagree about the breed, the breed makes no difference.

My daughter, while in 4H, had a Championship herd of milking La Mancha does. I ended up as club and then County Goat Leader. (I always thought that was better then my friend who was County Pig Leader.) Now when a doe has kids, the females are raised for milk, but for the males there was no market in So. Cal. at all. I felt very badly for the children whose does birthed male kids. Their projects lost money and they got a bad grade.

So I started a Chevon meat market at Fair Time. I contacted fancy restaurants in L.A. and S.D. and they all wanted chevon. After the Fair the chevon meat was delivered to the restaurants that had placed an order. They loved it. They had prepared special menus for this event. BUT, as they had their menus all printed up, they wanted more and more chevon. I told them there was no more, but they insisted. Long story short, I ended up buying herds of goats from the desert, wild goats. These took a lots more cooking and special preparation, but there were no complaints from the restaurants. The Swift & Co. agreed to close down their local Lamb Plant for a day and process our Chevon, for a low fee. But this was really a great gift from them, because the entire Lamb Plant had to cleaned and sterilized both before and after the Chevon processing.

Every year for 4 years I went through this nonsense. All the children had profitable goat projects. All the restaurants were happy. I was really glad when my daughter sold her herd.
                            Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-14-2013, 12:33 PM.
                            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

good info to me,thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X