The more I learn, the more I am confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hw1178 View Post
    you are free and clear to make your own choice and treat your body like a temple instead of like a garbage dump.
    I love this! I think more people should think this way.

Comment

I am also LDS and was wondering the same thing you were! I got out my scrips and read those same versus. in there it does also say that wheat is meant for times of famine...I kinda took that as grains are good for you, but mainly meant for times of famine. I could be way off on this, but I had been praying to know what I could do to improve my health, and I came across MDA. Everything seems to make sense to me in the primal blueprint as far as diet goes (obviously not the evolution side) I think this could definitely be something to pray about for you and me both...

Comment

Originally posted by Melodiemomma View Post
        I am also LDS and was wondering the same thing you were! I got out my scrips and read those same versus. in there it does also say that wheat is meant for times of famine...I kinda took that as grains are good for you, but mainly meant for times of famine. I could be way off on this, but I had been praying to know what I could do to improve my health, and I came across MDA. Everything seems to make sense to me in the primal blueprint as far as diet goes (obviously not the evolution side) I think this could definitely be something to pray about for you and me both...
        One thing to keep in mind is that the Bible is a dated document. I am not a Christian, or of any religion, and have nothing against any denomination. But the Bible was written less than 2,000 years ago, written in environments (Greece, the Middle East, etc.) that had been practicing agriculture for thousands of years. The first wheat species were domesticated in the Middle East and then spread across Eurasia from there. (Read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond for more info.) Wheat has a very long history in Eurasia. For that reason, it makes sense that wheat would be an important part of a diet in which the vast majority of people had little to eat in the first place. Consider it: wheat is easy to grow (it grows in many climates, including climates with little water such as the Mediterranean and more desert-like areas of the Middle East), it is easy to store, and thus was plentiful. And I would think that in times of famine, little else was to be had. Vegetables and fruits can rarely be stored that long, and livestock is subject to all kinds of risks--disease, theft, etc.

But the Bible is a dated, and to some extent, a political document. Just ten years ago the medical establishment thought that celiac disease and gluten intolerance were extremely rare. But now we know it affects a huuuuge portion of the population. If you are a Christian, and if Jesus really was as cool a dude as it sounds like he was, I doubt he'd be insulted by your refusal to eat something you know will harm your body. But if you choose to partake in a tradition that is important to you, then by all means do it. Just don't let the guilt take over. Make sure YOU want to do it, not someone else!
        I don't own a scale and don't care to!

Comment

Originally posted by ilikesubtitles View Post

But the Bible is a dated, and to some extent, a political document.
          while this may be true for your world view not everyone shares that view.
          journal

Comment

From the Doctrine and Covenants (one of the LDS scriptures, straight from lds.org):

D&C 89:
            10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of manó
            11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
            I assume this includes vegetables. So, +1 so far.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
            13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
            Some confusing wording there, but looks like you better get your meat in before the snow melts.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
            15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
            So all grain is good. It is the staff of life, in fact. Yet it is only to be used during famines. Very confusing. No wonder I left the church.

Comment

I hear you WeirdSteve. I am ex-LDS as well. Nothing against any that have chosen to stay. It just wasn't for me. As far as the Word of Wisdom goes, it mentions "hot drink". I grew up learning that meant coffee and tea. However, it seems that both coffee and tea are considered fairly healthy in moderation. I am not sure what was meant by "hot drink" exactly though.

Comment

I haven't had oatmeal in almost a year, and I used to eat it everyday. You are capable of any change you WANT to make.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
                  Religion is not a good source for scientific information (among other things)
                  +1. It's funny how people, myself included, could at times be both rational (as much as we ever are), scientific and then believe choose faith...which is best defined as belief without evidence.

Quite some years ago, I chose that my beliefs needed to be based on evidence or what I could logically construct based on the evidence. Believing in religion and god, is to me, tantamount to believing in, or worshiping, pink unicorns on Saturn.

Christopher Hitchens was absolutely right when he titled his book god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. It's not hyperbole, it's not drama, it absolutely poisons everything. This thread proves the point. Out goes clear, rational thinking (with a nod to our unfortunate but evolved cognitive biases), poisoned, again, by religion which is nothing more than fantasy and fairytales.

The fear of hell or the desire to enter a (mythological) heaven seems to be poor motivation to do good when compared to the fact that we have only this one life to live....and not a day more. To me, that is eminently inspiring and all the motivation I need to be good (as much as I can), to do good and to live the very best life I can create for myself and my family.

Religion, on the other hand? I can't say that it's done such a great job. You can all think of many examples that illustrate that with clarity....aside fromt the obvious ones of...oh, the crusades, our current situation with terrorism and even something most will downplay in a most cruel way: circumcision. Religion, so so commonly, takes very good, otherwise thinking people, and causes them to do horrible, awful, unimagineable things.

Sam Harris is very readable...and a rather spiritual atheist interestingly.
                  Christopher Hitchens is brilliant beyond measure.
                  The Friendly Atheist is a good blog to start with.
                  Nietzsche is good reading.

There is so much out there and once delving into it, the epiphanies become really embarassingly obvious.

All the best,
                  Katherine
                  Last edited by cillakat; 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I have a ton of links bookmarked in my stumbleupon

username: cillakat
                    tags: religion, atheism, christopher hitchens, sam harris

Public Reality Radio is also a great site for programming and has links to TONS of good podcasts.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                      +1. It's funny how people, myself included, could at times be both rational (as much as we ever are), scientific and then believe choose faith...which is best defined as belief without evidence.

Quite some years ago, I chose that my beliefs needed to be based on evidence or what I could logically construct based on the evidence. Believing in religion and god, is to me, tantamount to believing in, or worshiping, pink unicorns on Saturn.

Christopher Hitchens was absolutely right when he titled his book god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. It's not hyperbole, it's not drama, it absolutely poisons everything. This thread proves the point. Out goes clear, rational thinking (with a nod to our unfortunate but evolved cognitive biases), poisoned, again, by religion which is nothing more than fantasy and fairytales.

The fear of hell or the desire to enter a (mythological) heaven seems to be poor motivation to do good when compared to the fact that we have only this one life to live....and not a day more. To me, that is eminently inspiring and all the motivation I need to be good (as much as I can), to do good and to live the very best life I can create for myself and my family.

Religion, on the other hand? I can't say that it's done such a great job. You can all think of many examples that illustrate that with clarity....aside fromt the obvious ones of...oh, the crusades, our current situation with terrorism and even something most will downplay in a most cruel way: circumcision. Religion, so so commonly, takes very good, otherwise thinking people, and causes them to do horrible, awful, unimagineable things.

Sam Harris is very readable...and a rather spiritual atheist interestingly.
                      Christopher Hitchens is brilliant beyond measure.
                      The Friendly Atheist is a good blog to start with.
                      Nietzsche is good reading.

There is so much out there and once delving into it, the epiphanies become really embarassingly obvious.

All the best,
                      Katherine
                      +1,000,000

It's time for people to realize that religion is not functional, nor are its teachings true. It's time to evolve past that point.
                      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                        I hear you WeirdSteve. I am ex-LDS as well. Nothing against any that have chosen to stay. It just wasn't for me. As far as the Word of Wisdom goes, it mentions "hot drink". I grew up learning that meant coffee and tea. However, it seems that both coffee and tea are considered fairly healthy in moderation. I am not sure what was meant by "hot drink" exactly though.
                        Yeah, I apologize to the faithful if I was a little snarky, but I think the LDS church owes its members some clarification on this subject.
                        What's that old joke about Utah? It's the only place where Coca-Cola is considered a hot drink! Since coffee and tea have caffeine in common, many assumed that was the issue, and avoided caffeinated beverages altogether even though church officials have no stance on the issue.

My dad once took the passages I quoted, and others, as justification to start the Atkins diet back in 90's. To me it sounds like, technically, Mormons should be grain-free vegetarians any time fruits and vegetables are available, which is always in this day and age. But from my experience, grains are upheld as the base of the Mormon diet, and I have never once met a Mormon vegetarian. Grains make sense for food storage though, which Mormons are supposed to have. Better oatmeal than starvation.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                          +1,000,000

It's time for people to realize that religion is not functional, nor are its teachings true. It's time to evolve past that point.
                          You find this same thought in odd places.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng99hnxQmoI
                          Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Exeye View Post
                            It's political nature might be up for debate, but the Bible is a dated document. That can be proven and is relevant to its dietary recommendations.
                            I don't own a scale and don't care to!

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Exeye View Post
                              It's a fact, not a view. You choose to believe in something that's dated and no longer relevant, be my guest - but don't expect me to take any of it seriously.
                              Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                                It's a fact, not a view. You choose to believe in something that's dated and no longer relevant, be my guest - but don't expect me to take any of it seriously.
                                not everybody would consider the bible dated, many people still find it very relevant today.
                                no one is asking you to take it seriously, all i am saying is that not everyone shares those views. it is a view since you simply cannot just say the bible is dated and have the be the ultimate truth. it is very much a view.
                                journal

Comment

Working...
                                X