Happiness is a disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness is a disease?

Apparently they want to put happiness into the same category as depression and call it a disorder.
    Here is the abstract.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

If it is, then reserve me a padded room now.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

Gotta sell them meds!!
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I particularly liked
        One possible objection to this proposal remains-that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Good grief...
          Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Um, wow. I guess I'll take a room across the hall from Mimi. Maybe we can meet in the dayroom and play cards?

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
              I particularly liked
              One possible objection to this proposal remains-that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.
              And order, opposed to disorder, is not positively valued. To be consistent, they have to call happiness an order
              Last edited by peril; 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

"In a review of the relevant literature it is shown that happiness is statistically abnormal, consists of a discrete cluster of symptoms, is associated with a range of cognitive abnormalities, and probably reflects the abnormal functioning of the central nervous system."

So, what then is the normal range of cognitive abilities and the normal functioning of the central nervous state?

From a methodological standpoint the proposal makes some sense for quantifying, but how long until someone takes it too far and starts to declare that too much happiness is a real psychological disorder and requires medication?
                A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                  So, what then is the normal range of cognitive abilities and the normal functioning of the central nervous state?
                  Go to work, do your job, pay your taxes, eat your food, don't look at your neighbours, keep your head down, get married, make babies. Survive, survive, survive and don't worry about living. That's a normal and acceptably functioning human being.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

This sounds like a headline on theonion. Have people just run out of things to study? Do they want to see if anyone is actually paying attention by making "discoveries" crazier and crazier? Insane.

Comment

Despondex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4tugPM83c

Comment

Let's all face it...some people are just idiots.

If happiness is a problem...then I must be an addict.

Comment

I'm curious: what is their definition of happiness? What are these clustered symptoms? I think most people would agree that people that survive awful situations by remaining in denial (as opposed to confronting, dealing with and moving on) need counseling and, very often, medication. I don't consider those people happy, though.

I would take the time to investigate the answers to my questions if I cared. ha ha ha But I don't ... which is probably a large part of the reason that I am happy ... I don't believe that something is *true* just because some intellectuals say that it's so.

Same topic but different direction: I just had a delicious dinner and a cocktail with a friend down in the lovely little village of Katonah. Stuff like that makes me happy! If I keep this up, it may become chronic ... terminal ... 'til I croak. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            Go to work, do your job, pay your taxes, eat your food, don't look at your neighbours, keep your head down, get married, make babies. Survive, survive, survive and don't worry about living. That's a normal and acceptably functioning human being.
                            This.

Comment

I'm reading the fulltext of the article now. Don't take this too seriously; it's clearly meant to be funny in a tongue-in-cheek way. But it also uses this as a stepping stone example to make some quite interesting philosophical points about exactly how psychiatric disorders are currently defined and whether value judgements should play into that definition.

Some of my fave bits that made me snicker...
                              "The behavioural components of happiness are less easily characterised but particular facial expressions such as 'smiling' have been noted..."

"... happy people seem to wish to force their condition on their unhappy companions and relatives."

"Given the apparent similarities between happiness and depression, it seems possible that endogenous happiness will be characterised by positive mood first thing in the morning, a heavy appetite, and persistent erotomania."

"I humbly suggest that the ordinary language term 'happiness' be replaced by the more formal description 'major affective disorder, pleasant type,' in the interests of scientific precision and in the hope of reducing any possible diagnostic ambiguities."

"once the debilitating consequences of happiness become widely recognised it is likely that psychiatrists will begin to devise treatments for the condition..."
                              Wellp, I'm off to enjoy my persistent erotomania! (but where is my heavy appetite?!)
                              Last edited by Jenny; 12-04-2010, 11:05 PM. Reason: fixing quote code
                              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Working...
                              X