Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lose weight like a guy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to lose weight like a guy!

    I noticed a lot of females on here saying they cannot lose weight like a man. I saw this article, and thought it was interesting, maybe even motivational?

    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/heal...-their-secrets

  • #2
    Cool article! Thanks for posting.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that, when it comes to weight loss in modern American culture, men (by nature and by nurture) seem to be able to do it much more with a sense of adventure and playfulness. Women are not allowed to play in our culture.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think most (mainstream) women also have this CW idea of what a diet is supposed to look like:

        - You can't have fun with it. You're not eating "foods" you "love" therefore you're supposed to be miserable all the time.
        - You're supposed to count down the days until you're done.
        - You gotta weigh yourself everyday.
        - You can't lift weights because the scale will go up.
        - It's okay to have 100 calorie snacks, because they're only 100 calories.
        - If you run on the treadmill you "erase" that snack anyway.
        - Everything must be fat-free or low cal, especially salad dressing, but since it's fat free you can douse your salad in it. Skip the meat it's got fat in it!
        - Diet soda and juice is okay. Any diet drink is okay.
        - Hot yoga, because sweating means losing weight, everybody knows that. It also helps your flexibility.
        - You gotta let everybody know you're on a diet, so you can cheat with whoever puts the idea forth.

        etc etc etc ... I think that's how 8 out of 10 women think diets are supposed to be like. We NEED to get the word out on just training smarter, not like a man, and also educate our people, men and women, about food. It's one of the easiest lifestyle changes I've EVER made, maybe it was easier because I'm a male, but there's plenty of females in the Paleo/Primal world to vouch for how easy it's been for them too.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          I think most (mainstream) women also have this CW idea of what a diet is supposed to look like:

          - You can't have fun with it. You're not eating "foods" you "love" therefore you're supposed to be miserable all the time.
          - You're supposed to count down the days until you're done.
          - You gotta weigh yourself everyday.
          - You can't lift weights because the scale will go up.
          - It's okay to have 100 calorie snacks, because they're only 100 calories.
          - If you run on the treadmill you "erase" that snack anyway.
          - Everything must be fat-free or low cal, especially salad dressing, but since it's fat free you can douse your salad in it. Skip the meat it's got fat in it!
          - Diet soda and juice is okay. Any diet drink is okay.
          - Hot yoga, because sweating means losing weight, everybody knows that. It also helps your flexibility.
          - You gotta let everybody know you're on a diet, so you can cheat with whoever puts the idea forth.

          etc etc etc ... I think that's how 8 out of 10 women think diets are supposed to be like. We NEED to get the word out on just training smarter, not like a man, and also educate our people, men and women, about food. It's one of the easiest lifestyle changes I've EVER made, maybe it was easier because I'm a male, but there's plenty of females in the Paleo/Primal world to vouch for how easy it's been for them too.
          Very well said.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think Paleo/Primal is definitely on the come-up, but at the same time it’s being seen as a fad diet, a caveman joke not a real actual lifestyle.

            It needs to be presented differently. Forget caveman, forget Paleolithic stuff. People will harp on those and forget the real message which to me is: “Eat real food. Avoid processed food as often as possible, eat animals, eat vegetables, eat healthy fats, eat fruits, stop drinking your calories” which of course is slightly different for everybody and can be tailored to fit whatever it is you do like.

            It also should probably be more aggressive. The ideas, the principles, not products, I’m seeing Paleofoods brand now, forget that noise, I’m known for putting my foot in my mouth and all, but I just can’t stand the notion of being way to busy to wake up a half hour later or go to sleep a little later in the day and fix some food either for that day or the next. I know there’s plenty of paleos that have to live on the go and sure I guess Paleofoods (the brand) would help them, but to the regular American it’s just more of the same. More products to buy that are supposed to take care of all the work of losing weight or getting healthy. The message is lost once you pair it with a product, that’s how I feel.

            Look at the Vegan machine, they’re out there aggressively trying to get more people to not eat animals. I think our message of a back-to-nature approach to eating should be more aggressive as well. That’s my little rant for now. Sorry to deviate the topic, but in getting women to understand primal nutrition, we can also introduce the concept of not being a wimp so to speak in the gym and not be afraid to move heavy weight around.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
              I think most (mainstream) women also have this CW idea of what a diet is supposed to look like:

              - You can't have fun with it. You're not eating "foods" you "love" therefore you're supposed to be miserable all the time.
              - You're supposed to count down the days until you're done.
              - You gotta weigh yourself everyday.
              - You can't lift weights because the scale will go up.
              - It's okay to have 100 calorie snacks, because they're only 100 calories.
              - If you run on the treadmill you "erase" that snack anyway.
              - Everything must be fat-free or low cal, especially salad dressing, but since it's fat free you can douse your salad in it. Skip the meat it's got fat in it!
              - Diet soda and juice is okay. Any diet drink is okay.
              - Hot yoga, because sweating means losing weight, everybody knows that. It also helps your flexibility.
              - You gotta let everybody know you're on a diet, so you can cheat with whoever puts the idea forth.

              etc etc etc ... I think that's how 8 out of 10 women think diets are supposed to be like. We NEED to get the word out on just training smarter, not like a man, and also educate our people, men and women, about food. It's one of the easiest lifestyle changes I've EVER made, maybe it was easier because I'm a male, but there's plenty of females in the Paleo/Primal world to vouch for how easy it's been for them too.
              +1

              I think it also has to do with that the low-carb primal diet (for weight-loss 50 - 100 g a day) is more easily assimilated for a man in today's society. It is more typical "man-food". I'm not saying it should be. I'm talking about conventions and roles. What a women is "expected" to eat/not eat. Eating steak and eggs for breakfast instead of greek-yoghurt, cottage cheese etc comes more normal for men.
              Lifting heavy is probably easier for men to assimilate, also due to conventions. Men lift weight. Women run/do yoga.

              It the typical post here an MDA for women that need help with tuning the diet I believe the short answer is.
              Eat more bacon, and similar foods. LOTS more. Much more that you think.

              If I would say
              -"That is a very primal person. Eats a lot of red meat and fats with some raw vegetables. Lifts heavy stones and sprints fast"
              I think the majority would think I'd be talking about a man, not a woman. Unfortunately that is just how we are programed by society to think. Both men and women.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jomp View Post
                +1

                I think it also has to do with that the low-carb primal diet (for weight-loss 50 - 100 g a day) is more easily assimilated for a man in today's society. It is more typical "man-food". I'm not saying it should be. I'm talking about conventions and roles. What a women is "expected" to eat/not eat. Eating steak and eggs for breakfast instead of greek-yoghurt, cottage cheese etc comes more normal for men.
                Lifting heavy is probably easier for men to assimilate, also due to conventions. Men lift weight. Women run/do yoga.

                It the typical post here an MDA for women that need help with tuning the diet I believe the short answer is.
                Eat more bacon, and similar foods. LOTS more. Much more that you think.

                If I would say
                -"That is a very primal person. Eats a lot of red meat and fats with some raw vegetables. Lifts heavy stones and sprints fast"
                I think the majority would think I'd be talking about a man, not a woman. Unfortunately that is just how we are programed by society to think. Both men and women.
                Totally, that needs to change too, the perception of what men and women are supposed to do, supposed to be like, supposed to eat.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jomp View Post
                  If I would say
                  -"That is a very primal person. Eats a lot of red meat and fats with some raw vegetables. Lifts heavy stones and sprints fast"
                  I think the majority would think I'd be talking about a man, not a woman. Unfortunately that is just how we are programed by society to think. Both men and women.
                  yes indeedy, and it makes me barf. one only has to watch american TV for, like, 30 seconds and see the scads of commercials for Diet Food that are targeted towards women. freakin' 100 cal packs, special K breakfast bars, crystal light. ew ew ew ew ew. pass the damn steak, thanks.

                  although, i wanna nitpick on something in that article:

                  And don't be discouraged if the needle on the scale nudges up a smidgen at first: Remember, the muscle you're gaining weighs more than the fat you're losing
                  muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound of muscle equals a pound of fat. muscle is *denser* than fat.




                  excellent article regardless. bookmarked for posterity.
                  sigpic

                  HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    It also should probably be more aggressive.
                    I'm not sure about that. Aggressive vegans have the same feeling to me as Jehova's Witnesses or any kind of religious missionaries (only the religious missionaries tend to be more polite). Aggressive Primals will be the same. Aggressive tactics bring in aggressive people. You get the whackjobs more than anything. Reading the MDA forums as well as talking to friends and family have lead me to believe that the ways we think about religion and diet are very similar. So let's not be out to "save" anyone. Let's just lead quietly by example. That will make for a more enduring movement, I think.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by batty View Post
                      pass the damn steak, thanks
                      Mhohahahaha. Yes indead!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                        So let's not be out to "save" anyone. Let's just lead quietly by example. That will make for a more enduring movement, I think.
                        This!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          I'm not sure about that. Aggressive vegans have the same feeling to me as Jehova's Witnesses or any kind of religious missionaries (only the religious missionaries tend to be more polite). Aggressive Primals will be the same. Aggressive tactics bring in aggressive people. You get the whackjobs more than anything. Reading the MDA forums as well as talking to friends and family have lead me to believe that the ways we think about religion and diet are very similar. So let's not be out to "save" anyone. Let's just lead quietly by example. That will make for a more enduring movement, I think.
                          Originally posted by lcme View Post
                          This!
                          I second this!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I dunno, I don't think we should be handing out pamphlets on the street but I would like to see more blogs sprouting up, more friends telling friends, people really don't notice every minute thing we do you know? I don't think many people really notice what I eat or don't eat unless I specifically talk about it. I don't think we should be like vegans in aggression (because their message is don't eat animals, not "eat this for health" like ours would be) but I do think we should make a little bit more noise maybe in our personal lives.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              I dunno, I don't think we should be handing out pamphlets on the street but I would like to see more blogs sprouting up, more friends telling friends, people really don't notice every minute thing we do you know? I don't think many people really notice what I eat or don't eat unless I specifically talk about it. I don't think we should be like vegans in aggression (because their message is don't eat animals, not "eat this for health" like ours would be) but I do think we should make a little bit more noise maybe in our personal lives.
                              That I can agree with that. Word of mouth about our own experiences, vs. pushing your life onto someone else. I know a lady who is a vegan, and everyone knows it, and is almost afraid to eat meat around her. I will admit I'm not as aggressive when it comes to telling people that I eat Primally, but this will be something I will work on.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X