No announcement yet.

How to lose weight like a guy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thin that you need to be careful with evangelizing. It can be a real turnoff. I think the optimal approach is pull rather than push.

By nature of my work, I tend to see people sporadically since I work for long stretches from home, and I am geographically removed from my colleagues, family, and friends. Without fail, everyone who has seen me lately has asked me about my transformation. That is how the dialogue gets started. It is rather amazing how many people have started IF due to my interactions with them.

I think the principal impediment to change is the dogma that fat kills. This narrative has been promoted since the 50s. Over half a century of anti-fat propaganda.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Originally posted by batty View Post
      muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound of muscle equals a pound of fat. muscle is *denser* than fat.
      This is really nitpicky but it's a perfectly acceptable statement to say that (within the same volume) muscle weighs more than fat (because it's more dense).

/ after my wife started her martial arts training two years ago, she was incredibly dismayed because her weight went up...although she was clearly more fit and dropped waist sizes.
      carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
        This is really nitpicky but it's a perfectly acceptable statement to say that (within the same volume) muscle weighs more than fat (because it's more dense).

/ after my wife started her martial arts training two years ago, she was incredibly dismayed because her weight went up...although she was clearly more fit and dropped waist sizes.
        i....explained myself horribly there. you are absolutely correct, and if she had put what you did in the parentheses i wouldn't be bitching. i dont think the average person actually understands the concept.

i did the exact same thing as your wife. heh, most chicks do that. this is why my scale has a hugeass layer of dust on it.
        sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Batty, I like the idea of the dusty scale. The damned thing can be very misleading.

I don't think people usually make very wise decisions when they are busily obsessing on numbers.

By the way, many years ago (and many many pounds lighter) I got weighed in a doctor's office. The nurse looked at the scale, looked at me, and said, "My, you're compact."

I think that being "compact" would be a more healthy goal than being light-weight. Dense heavy bones, lots of muscle, and plenty of organ weight.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            I think most (mainstream) women also have this CW idea of what a diet is supposed to look like:

- You can't have fun with it. You're not eating "foods" you "love" therefore you're supposed to be miserable all the time.
            - You're supposed to count down the days until you're done.
            - You gotta weigh yourself everyday.
            - You can't lift weights because the scale will go up.
            - It's okay to have 100 calorie snacks, because they're only 100 calories.
            - If you run on the treadmill you "erase" that snack anyway.
            - Everything must be fat-free or low cal, especially salad dressing, but since it's fat free you can douse your salad in it. Skip the meat it's got fat in it!
            - Diet soda and juice is okay. Any diet drink is okay.
            - Hot yoga, because sweating means losing weight, everybody knows that. It also helps your flexibility.
            - You gotta let everybody know you're on a diet, so you can cheat with whoever puts the idea forth.

etc etc etc ... I think that's how 8 out of 10 women think diets are supposed to be like. We NEED to get the word out on just training smarter, not like a man, and also educate our people, men and women, about food. It's one of the easiest lifestyle changes I've EVER made, maybe it was easier because I'm a male, but there's plenty of females in the Paleo/Primal world to vouch for how easy it's been for them too.
            + yet another 1. Exactly. Bingo. Especially the 'counting the days until you're done'. Now the weight loss has become visible, what I'm hearing more and more is,
            'Are you still on that diet? Isn't it time you stopped?'
            Right, because I'm bored with being 9 1/2 stone and would like to get back to 12 as soon as possible. Also, I'm missing the spots, fungal infections and aches and pains. Pass the pasta, someone.

I'd suggest that men are 'fed' the idea of eating for strength, so they can do more. The entire objective for women seems to be to look thinner.

Comment

Girls bond over putting themselves down and treating both their bodies and minds unhealthily, that's part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by imasin View Post
                Girls bond over putting themselves down and treating both their bodies and minds unhealthily, that's part of the problem.
                Not so much putting ourselves down, we're just told since we were young of a certain image people want to see in women. Look at the post in our very own forum - "Men - what's your opinion?". The majority of men say the three images are hot! Granted the guys also say that the girls could use a little more muscles, but for the most part these girls are whip-cord lean. I'm not saying I fully believe in the image society wants woman to look like, I'm just saying if your told since childhood that you cannot be a model on TV or in magazines unless you have single digit body fat, it's really hard to go against the grain. And it takes just that much more confidence in yourself to accept your curves, even if they are solid, which some women struggle with.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                  Not so much putting ourselves down, we're just told since we were young of a certain image people want to see in women. Look at the post in our very own forum - "Men - what's your opinion?". The majority of men say the three images are hot! Granted the guys also say that the girls could use a little more muscles, but for the most part these girls are whip-cord lean. I'm not saying I fully believe in the image society wants woman to look like, I'm just saying if your told since childhood that you cannot be a model on TV or in magazines unless you have single digit body fat, it's really hard to go against the grain. And it takes just that much more confidence in yourself to accept your curves, even if they are solid, which some women struggle with.
                  Yeah you're right, I love what you said. +1

Comment

Working...
                  X