X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat-burning Vinegar

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/arti...o-destroy-fat/

thoughts?...

Have you actually tried this? The Apple Vinegar is HORRIBLE stuff. I personally can't stand it, even 1 tablespoon mixed into a glass of water is horrid. I would rather just eat less.

Let us know how it works for you.

I take vinegar & olive oil with my salad which is more palatable.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

That apple vinegar stuff is, IMO, just another diet myth.

Like Grizz, I use vinegar in my salad, along with my EVOO, and that's how I like it best.

Comment

From what I've read (usual proviso about how reliable that might or might not be), lemon juice in water is just as good. I used it when I was getting started, but lost interest after a while. Goodness knows if it made any difference.

Comment

I love vinegar (anything fermented really). Not sure if it burns fat, bt I love a few teaspoons in my first water ofthe day.

Comment

I too, like ACV in my water sometimes... I don't know if its helping me lose weight but I like the taste more than plain water. I also use it on salads and in the shower to help with dandruff once a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
              From what I've read (usual proviso about how reliable that might or might not be), lemon juice in water is just as good. I used it when I was getting started, but lost interest after a while. Goodness knows if it made any difference.
              Lemon juice in hot water is an excellent detox (but NOT a slimming aid). I have a mug most mornings (as does my mother). Use fresh lemon juice, though (NOT the Jif stuff).

The apple cider vinegar myth has been around for centuries. It does NOT burn fat, but it does decrease fluid retention, hence the myth that it does - as the scales will show a loss).
              La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

The studies did motivate me to try vinegar on two occasions many years ago, but each time it was so darned painful (burning that lasts in your throat for at least a minute, then an irritated stomach for quite awhile longer) it wasn't worth repeating. I suspect it works, but since it's easy and pain-free to keep carbs healthfully low I'm sticking to the latter option. (In retrospect, the amount of carbs I ingested on those occasions wouldn't have caused much of an insulin spike anyway. I was just being ultra cautious. I truly can't comment on the effectiveness of the vinegar in mediating a rise in blood glucose from a large intake of carbs.)

That said, I do try to include a spritz of vinegar with my salad greens just to add flavor.

Comment

The vinegar is diluted in water so shouldn't irritate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    The vinegar is diluted in water so shouldn't irritate.
                    +1. Just skimmed the thread, love acv in sparklewater, but do not consume it too concentrated, it's an acid, & I've read it can be strong enough to be a real irritant. Mix it up!

Comment

I like unfiltered ACV or lemon juice in water. I like tea better. Tannic acid vs acetic acid? Any opinions?

Comment

I just read the AcOH Japanese study , and it really looked interesting.

A few takeaways:
                        1. The effects are due to AMPK phosphorylation, not loss of water.
                        2. Effects are dose dependent. Higher doses produce better results.
                        3. Effects initially manifested after 4 weeks.

AMPK Phosphorylation

AMPK is your best friend, get to know it, you'll get along swimmingly!

AMPK induces a cascade of events within cells in response to the ever changing energy charge of the cell. The role of AMPK in regulating cellular energy charge places this enzyme at a central control point in maintaining energy homeostasis.

AMPK inhibits pancreatic beta cell insulin secretion, as well as inhibiting fatty acid synthesis in the liver and adipose tissue.

AMPK promotes fatty acid oxidation and glucose uptake in both skeletal and heart muscle, as well as promoting increased glycolysis in cardiac muscle.

Practical Application

The experimental protocol called for the AcOH to be drunk after the meals, but I suspect that this was due to a desire to not have the beverage potentially affect the amount of food consumed by the subjects. Because of the mechanism of action of AMPK, it might make more sense to ingest AcOH before meals. Nevertheless, if you want to remain faithful to the experiment, drink a 250 ml. apple vinegar cocktail after breakfast, and another after dinner. The high dose effectively doubled the amount of vinegar ingested from 15 ml. to 30 ml. per day which translated into 750 mg. and 1500 mg. of acetic acid. Keep this up for 4 weeks, and see where that gets you!

I'm game. I like vinegar and this sounds like a fairly painless way to get some results.

-PK
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Before we all start building shrines to AMPK, there is one thing that I forgot to mention. While AMPK inhibits fatty acid synthesis in adipose tissue, it also inhibits lipolysis, ie the breakdown of triglycerides into free fatty acids. So, if you were to think of AMPK as effectively shutting down adipose tissue, that's would be pretty close to the mark. This effect is a good thing when you are talking about feeding events as it will keep the adipose tissues from assimilating your last meal. This effect is questionable if you are fasting, when the prime directive is to have your adipose tissues release their contents into the blood stream for use as an energy substrate. As there are lots of hormonal changes that are going on while fasting, it is unclear what the net effect of fasting and drinking vinegar would be. However, if you stick to the protocol of only drinking vinegar with your meals, that should present no issues.

-PK
                          My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

i think raw ACV tastes good....i put it on all canned seafood i eat. my mom did it growing up. everytime we had tuna/salmon or some canned fish there was always ACV in it. its really good i dunno about any health claims for it, just its tasty
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Back in 1968 I was passing some time in a big town called Caribou, Maine with a friend that went through some service time with me. (He said that they changed the population sign every time he went home or left.) One thing that I learned up there was to take a glass of half apple cider vinegar and half honey every day. Been doing that since then and haven't had a cold, the flu, a fever, etc. etc. . I won't tell you that it will cure all your ills, but I won't give it up either.
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X