Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Read "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Read "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudes?

What did you think?
    How is it different than the Blueprint?
    Have you tried to implement her advice?
    What has been your experience like?

I listened to Jimmy Moore's interview podcats with her, she sounds like a brilliant researcher who really knows what she's talking about. I'm tempted to buy the book.
    "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
    -Raymond Peat, PhD

I have it. It's a good read and packed with information. Most of it medical. It's not exactly a how to book regarding food and exercise like the PB. It discusses a lot of physical and mental diseases that are linked to eating wheat, etc.
    Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Comment

Cool, I bought it

You should listen to her podcast, it's really interesting.
      Last edited by NoSaladWithoutMeat; 10-15-2010, 08:08 PM.
      -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

I read it, then I studied it. I like it. A fine book with a good deal of information. As was reported above, it is not really a 'how to' book. It provides the information and leaves it at that.

The only thing that I think is really contrary to Primal Blueprint is that she doesn't think much of consuming pig in any form because of the Omega 3 / Omega 6 ratio being too far out of spec for a healthy diet. She states that the ratio is about 25 to 1 (6 to 3), and healthy is considered at most 4 to 1 (6 to 3). I researched that ratio and found that she was right. She doesn't agree with Mark's idea---(eat it and take supplements to make up for the 'badness').

The preceding is not condemnation of Mark. His thing will work, I guess. I just prefer to eschew the pig and not use so many supplements. Besides, I have my own habits that push the limits of primal blueprint, and a few that actually break the rules.
        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

What about bacon? Y_Y
          What about fruits?

Her diet sounds fairly strict. But I got the book anyway.
          -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

I usually find her podcast interminably boring. I really, really, really tried to like it. I usually keep a few episodes on my iphone just in case I get stuck somewhere and run out of other stuff to listen to. I wish Mark would do a weekly podcast! I'd pay for a great paleo/primal podcast...

Anyhoo...I've heard a bit of stuff from her hear and there and she seems very restrictive. From what I've read on her site and heard in her podcasts I'm not super interested in reading her book, but I may if I get around to not having any other paleo/ancestral diet and health books to read.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Haha, I was just complaining about it in my journal.
              She talk a lot without actually saying anything. And there's long pauses when she loses her train of thought.
              Jimmy Moore's podcast I always like. He's so cute trying to interject and asking questions
              -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Is there a way to get her podcast without having to go via Itunes? That's something I'd prefer not to clutter my computer up with if possible.

As for a great paleo/primal podcast - Robb Wolf has that covered.

Comment

I think you have to listen via Itunes to Nora's show....I've never seen it available via her site as just a link like Robb offers.

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                  As for a great paleo/primal podcast - Robb Wolf has that covered.
                  I wish he'd do daily podcast LOL Or at least twice a week! Can't get enough Robb Wolf and Andy Deas....those 6 listeners are NOT wrong LOL

eta: I like a lot of Jimmy Moore's podcast as well. Of course the first thing I did was download all the episodes with "paleo" folks! A lot of interesting info and Jimmy always keeps it lighthearted and interesting. Plus, he's a fellow South Carolinian
                  Last edited by kennelmom; 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Robb Wolf? REALLY?!
                    Hahaha, he and the other guy who do the podcasts sound like such meatheads... they have so many analogies and euphemisms for exercise I can no longer take them seriously.
                    -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

I just finished reading the book about a month ago. It is a fantastic read but there are a few things that I disagree with that she said. One is her recommendation of protein is right around 50 grams.

Also, the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids for PASTURED pork or even organic pork is probably not 1:25. If you look at eggs on nutrition data you will find they are way out of wack. But a solid pastured egg has a ratio as low as 1.5:1. What the animal eats and how it lives has everything to do with the ratio.

So, I say eat pork just make sure its quality pork. Pastured is best but I enjoy Applegate Farms Organic bacon too. A lot of people on here seem to eat A LOT of bacon while I only enjoy it once in a while... just my way of eating
                      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Yeah, I'm not ready to give up pork yet. It's the only meat that doesn't cause me any digestive issues (chicken does for some reason and I don't like lamb).

I can't wait to read it, though it might make me paranoid for a while
                        -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                          What about bacon? Y_Y
                          What about fruits?.
                          I can't recall any specific mention of bacon. Mind you I can't recall any specific mention of pork. Her book's index is unhelpful on where either is mentioned.

It seems a bit crazy to me. Our ancestors going right back to pre-Homo Sapiens certainly ate wild boar. One survey of 165 Mesolithic sites found that boar was the second most widely hunted animal going by bones - in order:

red deer
                          wild boar
                          wild ox
                          roe deer
                          fox
                          badger
                          wild cat
                          beaver

To be sure, pigs do tend to be rather too intensively farmed these days. But that's an issue for other matters besides omega 3/6. Omega 3/6 isn't the only thing that matters, and I don't think it does to get too obsessive about it (you eat oily fish, don't you?):

http://www.westonaprice.org/farm-a-r...the-grass.html

What does she say on fruit? Again, I don't recall anything much. The book's index shows that she did suggest that fruit juice is not a good option. She does tend to be quite strict on sugar - no bad thing, perhaps.

I think her advice is basically sound. I also quite like the book - but I don't know I'll ever re-read it. It's written with some verve and passion if a little carelessly. It strikes me a curious compilation of bits from here and there she's picked up over the years. I think it might feel a little like a lot of separate thing stuck together rather than something with a more architectonic structure.

Some of it is a little bizarre. She tells readers to swill vast amounts of water - apparently on account some man in India said to do so. Even 8 glasses wasn't enough for her: she wanted me to be downing ten or twelve, IIRC.

This business of drinking huge quantities of water seems like absolute baloney to me, and I don't know of any reliable medical source that tells people to do it except for specific and temporary purposes. Certainly Mark is highly sceptical of the practice:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-gla...f-water-a-day/
                          Last edited by Lewis; 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I love people who reference their opinions :]
                            -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Lewis, I see you already started a thread about this. I'll read it now. Love the "What's Wrong With The Chair" link!
                              I always tried to make myself sit in a chair and study but couldn't make myself. My body hates chairs. I can barely go through a lecture in one!
                              -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Working...
                              X