Question on Plateau

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griff-

Thanks for that post from Dr. Davis (also a favorite of mine) about wheat and cartilage destruction. But I suspect that, as with many physical issues, it depends on the person. For example, I come from an Italian-American family, so lots of pasta and bread were consumed in my youth. I began suffering from osteoarthritis in my mid-30s (usually considered an 'old age' afflication), as had one of my uncles at a similar age. However, others in the family ate the same way and had no joint problems.

My current surgeon (I'm consulting him for possible knee replacement) says that osteo is an actual disease ( used to be considered just the wear and tear of age or obesity), so it makes sense that it can be triggered by wheat, especially in my case, since I've discovered since my Hashimoto's diagnosis (when I began paying attention) that I have a sensitivity to gluten.

Comment

Emmie,

Grains & sugars are so destructive to the human body that my wife & I feel lucky to still be alive! As it is, she started developing pain in her right knee, and she was taking glucosomene for it. Didn't help much. Is Glucosomene another BS Product? Has it helped your condition? She doesn't seem to be having problems with her knees since starting PB.

I pray the Whoosh Fairy visits me every night ;--))

WHOOSH FAIRY

I've been searching the net to find more about dumping water coming out of a plateau, the Whoosh Effect, and found this account, a man lost 12 lbs overnight on his "Whoosh."
      Originally posted by Article
      After experiencing no losses in scale weight or inches for several weeks, I awakened and reluctantly got on the scales one Saturday morning and I was down a whopping 12 pounds. Talk about breaking a stall. Boy howdy! Of course I got on and off the scale several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.
      http://www.lowcarb.org/whatsa_whoosh.html
      Stall & Whoosh discussed at great lengths here:
      http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...s-gradual.html

What is the Whoosh? Good discussion here:
      http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php?t=142979

HEY ! We are on to something BIG here. SOMETHING is causing a LARGE group of fat cells to dump their water. We need to find out what that signal is. Just imagine how many millions of fat cells must dump their water at the same time to equal 3# or more. Now imagine we sell a PILL to do the same ;--)) PARTY TIME

Best to you,
      Grizz
      Last edited by Grizz; 10-09-2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Grizz-

I took Glucosomine and Condriatin (sp?) when it was first touted as the best thing for joint pain. I got CosaminDS, which was, at that time, supposed to be the best formulation on the market. It was very expensive--about $100 a month. I took it faithfully for 2 years--and it did NOTHING. My primary doctor later told me that a lot of his patients reported the same thing. Later, I read a supposed research report that said it only helped with 'mild' arthritis, not anything severe! An aspirin will help with mild arthritis, so, IMO, Glusosomine is a big scam. Now I see that my vet pushes it for animal joint pain, but, of course, the animals can't report that it doesn't help any:-)

Here's a water story unrelated to weight loss but an indication of what the body can hold onto. I tend to retain water whenever I'm ill--even mildly ill.
        In my mid-30s (many years ago), I got a bad flu, and since I didn't have a primary doctor at the time, I went to a local walk-in clinic that was staffed in the evenings by residents from our university hospital. I'd been dieting (of course), so I knew my weight. When the nurse weighed me, I was 12 lbs heavier than I had been a few days previously, but I knew about my water retention issues--my only surprise was the amount, but I thought perhaps my home scale was a little off. I expected about 5 lb gain, which is what I usually had in such situation. However, when the doctor saw my BP numbers, he went ballistic and said, "Forget about this flu, you have high BP." I tried to explain that the water retention had driven up my BP, and I assured him that my BP was not only normal; it tended to run slightly low. Nothing I said could convince him, and he insisted that I return in 4 days to have my BP checked.

On the third day, my flu abated, fever was gone, and I began pee-ing like mad. When I returned to the doctor, I was 12 lbs lighter and, of course, my BP was normal. But the doctor went ballistic again, insisting that with a 12 lb loss in 4 days I was obviously diabetic and needed immediate treatment!
        Of course, I ignored him and went on my way.

As to the weight-loss water retention issue, the longest I've gone with no loss and then a whoosh (but only 4 lbs) was a month. I have no idea what the mechanism is that gets the body to eventually dump that water--I wish I knew!

Comment

I have been on a major weight loss odyssey and moved into Primal about 3 weeks ago. What I read is that as your body uses the fat in the cells, the fat is replaced as water until the cellular structure and blood vessels there to support the fat dissolve, then the water is moved out of the system.

I hope this isn't too personal, but I've got myself all wound up and need some input from some Grokettes. I have a question related to menstrual cycle, and see if anyone has had the same issue. I've been steadily at 176 lbs for about 2 weeks, Tuesday was the 14th day of my cycle (ovulation, etc). My "morning weight" has gone up 4 pounds since then. I know logically, this can't be "fat", its gotta be water, and more than likely is completely hormonal related. But I wondered if anybody else experiences this? The other part of this issue is that I'm supposed to take progesterone cream days 14-28 due to low levels, and haven't been able to get my scrip refilled due to my doc's schedule, so this may be part of the issue, also. I just needed some input, to talk me out of the "crazy tree". Thanks!

Comment

Griff,

I was 153 for 2 weeks and then suddenly woke up and was 150. Now I lost inches while I remained at 153 but no change in inches when I dropped to 150 so I'm sure it was just a sudden water release. I have seen this pattern on other diets in the past.
            My journal
            7/5/11 -Size 14;
            1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

jfilbin: what you're going through sounds very normal to me. I can gain up to six pounds in the time before my cycle. It takes a few days for it to flush out. Keep in mind all the different things any body can go through, at any time, whether male or female. For example, producing more cortisol during an incredibly stressful period without productive coping mechanisms ... illness, whether chronic or acute ... the purity of the food and water one has access to at a given time. My point is: it's damn near impossible to know, let alone control, all the outside forces stimulating all the inside forces.

So ... what is a person to do? This may not help you, but the answer for me was to change my focus. I need to lose weight, and I am ... but it is not my focus. My focus is addressing my many inflammation issues that have complicated my life in every imaginable way. The progress there is steady and measurable. The weight loss is a most wanted side effect.

Griff: All the science behind the theories of the woosh of weight loss is interesting, but I always thought that the mystery was related to the phrase that applies to all of my healing and growth, whether physical, mental, emotional or spiritual: two steps forward, one step back. =)

Comment

Thanks Debbie,

Since I have lost a ton of weight and that HAS been my focus, I'm now trying to keep my focus on WHAT I'm eating, not on the weight loss. It's hard though to not have that bit of heart palpitation when the scale shows such a significant uptick. I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but that makes me even more nervous. I definitely feel better and my body has looks better, so I'm trying now to keep focus on eating what I'm supposed to and treating weight loss as a fringe benefit. It just freaks me out when I've worked to get to a certain point, then all of a sudden my weight goes up so fast. I'm trying to keep that all in perspective. I'm wondering why our bodies just don't behave the way we want them to, that would be sooooo much easier! Thanks for the feedback Debbie, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                  So ... what is a person to do? This may not help you, but the answer for me was to change my focus. )

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!! the best thing i think anyone can do for themselves is look at primal as a nourishing way of life in all respects. food, mental, sleep, rest, laughter, play....one thing you SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT consciously is a number on the scale or 'weight thoughts' in your head. learn to read yourself. how do you feel? what food(primal) do you want? are you really hungry?

stoop food planning(unless grocery shopping)
                  stop counting, weighing, measuring
                  SIT with yourself...if you arent use to doing this, is in ungodly difficult to do, takes patience, soooo much patience and practice. understand how you feel(inside, not just fullness cues). how are your emotions etc.

i think getting over a plateau involves losing that overly personal relationship one has with food and moving it to a personal relationship with yourself, your bran, and your life.
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Please, please do not weigh every day! Give your body a chance.
                    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                    X