Criticisms of Primal/Paleo Lifestyle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    The funniest thing I hear is "Good luck with that fad." (with "sucker" being implied)

Hahaha! Oh, you mean the "fad" that's millions of years old? Okie-dokie...
    Ugh, I know! I was at my Doctor's surgery last week and there was a TV in the waiting room, playing some sort of government health infomercial thing talking about 'fad' diets and Low carb was highlighted in big red letters. Then a woman was talking about how nobody really loses any weight on low carb diets, it's only water.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
      it's only water.

but a litre of water weighs a kilo - I'd only need to lose a few bottles worth.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
        A paleo lifestyle is not sustainable on a global scale, given our overpopulated world.
        A 100% primal lifestyle is not sustainable. We probably can't feed the whole world without grains. BUT there are many parts of primal that almost anyone can do. Everyone can do the rest, exercise, keep mind active, avoid danger (as much as possible), etc. No one has to live on Big Macs and Coke. Almost anyone can avoid processed foods. Living on beans, rice and fresh veggies with a little meat, fish, dairy and/or eggs isn't perfect. But way ahead of copying the American SAD diet. Being primal is doing 80% of the blueprint.

We could produce a lot more grass fed beef except that CW says beef is EVIL. So ranchers struggle to make a slim profit. If Americans realized the value of good beef, they would pay for it.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
          We probably can't feed the whole world without grains.
          I call bullshit. Give over all that wasted land to meat production, stop feeding grain to cattle, stop wasting land on bio fuels (complete shit), remove all government subsidies to the grain industries, and stop people building on good farming land and let's see if we can feed the world. I think we can. If we can't do it this way, then we're fucked.

Our current level of grain production is unsustainable, it is degrading the top soil and it requires petroleum based fertilisers. Pastured animals are a better option since they don't need synthetic fertilisers; their shit works as a fertiliser (the way nature intended).
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Annika View Post
            My biggest criticism of the paleo lifestyle: my stovetop always gets covered with grease spatters. I'm considering switching to a low fat vegan diet so my kitchen will be easier to clean.
            an induction cook top is so easy to clean!!! just wipe with a damp cloth. As it doesnt stay hot, the grease doesnt bake on. Brilliant... best investment we ever made in our kitchen. The inside of the oven though is a different story

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
              I call bullshit. Give over all that wasted land to meat production, stop feeding grain to cattle, stop wasting land on bio fuels (complete shit), remove all government subsidies to the grain industries, and stop people building on good farming land and let's see if we can feed the world. I think we can. If we can't do it this way, then we're fucked.

Our current level of grain production is unsustainable, it is degrading the top soil and it requires petroleum based fertilisers. Pastured animals are a better option since they don't need synthetic fertilisers; their shit works as a fertiliser (the way nature intended).
              I'd like to believe you are right. Notice that I said we *probably* can't feed the world. The world means everyone - China, India, etc. But we could sure do a lot better than selling them Big Macs and Cokes.
              Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

The current world food system is totally unsustainable anyhow - we'll be facing environmental collapse, real collapse before 2100 unless the aliens come to help us out. Whether paleo is sustainable or not is a completely moot point.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

My biggest criticism is steak breathe.

But that repels any potential Vegan suitors, so it's fine.

(I like some meat on mah bone, ahm, man)

In all seriousness, the Vegan "killing animals"/ "bad for the environment" criticism is recurring and requires a solid argument. Though you can always slip them "the Vegetarian Myth" (and maybe conceal the "myth" part so they read it).
                  "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
                  -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                    Ugh, I know! I was at my Doctor's surgery last week and there was a TV in the waiting room, playing some sort of government health infomercial thing talking about 'fad' diets and Low carb was highlighted in big red letters. Then a woman was talking about how nobody really loses any weight on low carb diets, it's only water.
                    Yeah, I was told that when I first went primal. Um, yeah I don't think I lost 10 inches from my waist alone and it was ALL water weight.
                    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                      I'd like to believe you are right. Notice that I said we *probably* can't feed the world. The world means everyone - China, India, etc. But we could sure do a lot better than selling them Big Macs and Cokes.
                      Maybe we can't feed the world, but I'm sure we could feed more people if we replaced all the grain we grow with pastured animals.
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                        yeah I don't think I lost 10 inches from my waist alone and it was ALL water weight.
                        Yep -- see also that "lost 100 lbs or more" thread from a few weeks back...

And yanno, if this diet is reducing our overall water bloat factor, that wouldn't be a bad thing either.
                        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

+1 for everyone calling BS on the overpopulation herring. There is approximately 3/4 acre of arable land for every man, woman, and child in the world right now. Throw in some permaculture, and that land figure goes way up because you can now include hilly land that doesn't lend itself to tractor monocultures. You can easily raise a cow on that much land plus vegetables plus fruits, and a cow is one of the least efficient feed to weight converters!

Throw in fishing, and there is plenty of food for the people to eat. And it can be done in a way that builds the environment rather than destroys it.
                          http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

Maybe we can't feed the world, but I'm sure we could feed more people if we replaced all the grain we grow with pastured animals.
                            And remember that meat comes in many forms. Sustainable ag. is what's needed, not a meatless diet. An approach to farming in which the animals fertilize the fields that the crops grow in, and in turn the animals are themselves harvested. You have the land not only growing crops, but also sustaining a population of animals---whether it's chickens, geese, ducks, cows, pigs or whatever. Heck, in Peru, they wrap Guniea Pigs in corn husks and roast 'em in fire pits; in Asian countries they eat dogs (as did the American indians)---there's always some critter around that can go right next to the veggies on your plate!

Comment

Let's not forget that starchy tubers(potatoes) are more efficient per acre than grains.

Comment

+1 !

Comment

Working...
                                X