• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kabuki Effect: Cosmetics are Addictive

http://www.henrymakow.com/cosmetics.html
    MDA PRIMAL LIBERTARIAN GROUP

Wow.
    Very thought-provoking. I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of the author's points, but...

Comment

I don't care for the author's style and rhetoric much, or how exaggerated some claims are (make-up four times more addicting than drugs? Yeah, tell that to a heroine addict). However, I enjoyed how he revealed the power play of make-up and the battle terminology of attractive women. It makes me interested in the etymology of those phrases.

I think those points taken together really demonstrate how women have/continue to use their beauty and sexuality and subversively to undermine patriarchal power structures.

Personally, I only wear make-up for special occasions with my husband because, admittedly, I do feel sexier on a date if I go through all that beautifying stuff first

Comment

Hmm.
        I can take the author's main gist and think about it, but the comments really set my teeth on edge. Generalisation, much??
        Interestingly, having always been a tomboy-type, I never dedicated time to learning make up application. Never saw the point of hours of time wasted.
        Since going primal, I've stripped back a lot of "unnecessaries" - not always deliberately - and I'm getting to that point of "This is ME - take it or leave it". That includes mad hair, tattoos, muddy boots, big boobs, and an aversion to high heels.

I do use make up randomly - usually a dash of powder and some mascara (I like my eyes).

I've always felt bad for people afraid to pop out for 5 minutes without "the full face". I think that's insecurity rather than psychoactive substances though...

Comment

interesting, i like the tribal angle.

i bet our sister grokettes were experimenting with earth colours, clays and charcoals to paint themselves, absolutely for sure.

it's like he quoted in the article, some women you can tell financial status etc.

i'll bet there was a similar system in the tribes, perhaps the young, unmarried virgins went paint free, then hierarchically the paint became more and more elborate depending on your role within the society?

Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
          **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

I really think it's ridiculous.

I've always felt bad for people afraid to pop out for 5 minutes without "the full face". I think that's insecurity rather than psychoactive substances though..
            +1

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

See that title, people? Yes, the word is "addictive," not "addicting."
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                See that title, people? Yes, the word is "addictive," not "addicting."
                The artice says "Due to the psychotropic substances in the makeup and to social pressures......"

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                  The artice says "Due to the psychotropic substances in the makeup and to social pressures......"

Good point northern monkey girl :P

Also, Grumpy Caveman, before you go pointing out subtle differences in word choice with a condescending tone...according to Mirriam Webster, addictive means "causing of or characterized by addiction" and addictive means "to cause addiction to a substance"

So while you may think the connotations are vastly different, the denotations are almost identical.

Comment

"Also the ritual of applying the substances (many of which are in powder form just like many drugs) ... "

Okaaaayyyyyy.

I think it reads like a spoof or April Fool's joke. Really.

Comment

Um, have a look through some of the other blog posts....

Comment

although in this day and age - it actually wouldn't surprise me in the slighest if an expose came out that there were psycotropic substances in make up that caused the wearer into a trance like state but also renedered them addictive

if they put the CRAP they do in our food - it's not a great stretch to think the money men would have found some way to keep women (some women!) addicted to products costing 20 a pop!

: - )
                        Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                        **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

DRESSING UP IS ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS.
                          -This message paid for by the American Counsel Of Everything Fun Is Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Rivera View Post
                            DRESSING UP IS ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS.
                            -This message paid for by the American Counsel Of Everything Fun Is Bad.
                            LMAO!

This is so silly.
                            The more I see the less I know for sure.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
                              with a condescending tone
                              I typed it. I didn't make an mp3 of it so that you could hear my voice. The funny thing about "tone" is that you can choose to interpret it however you like. That I sounded condescending enough for you to be bothered by it probably says more about you than it does me
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X