X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autism and Vitamin D

crossposted in the Vitamin D thread....

Autism and Vitamin D

Emily Deans, MD is sharing John Cannell's (MD) brilliant (and likely correct) theory that vitamin D deficiency is fueling the autism epidemic
    http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/09/autism-and-vitamin-d.html
    His major points (he has several more, but I'll put up some of the more compelling ones):

1) Autism is increasing, as is vitamin D deficiency, and the autism epidemic came upon us at the same time the major health authorities advised us to eschew the sun.

2) Vitamin D is likely central to brain development as a key helper in neural development and neuroprotection. In addition, autism is likely mediated by inflammation, and vitamin D is a key player in anti-inflammatory processes. Also, vitamin D enables glutathione, the "master antioxidant," clear our system of free radicals, and glutathione also acts as a chelating agent to bind toxic heavy metals such as mercury, which kids with autism have a tough time clearing from their systems.

3) Williams syndrome, a chromosomal disease (among other things) results in abnormally high levels of circulating active vitamin D in early childhood, results in kids who are especially social and overfriendly - rather the opposite of autism symptoms.

4) During pregnancy, boys' brains are bathed in testosterone, and girls' brains in estrogen. Estrogen is known to have many vitamin D enhancing properties. This could account for the 4:1 ratio of boys to girls suffering from autism.

5) Studies show autism births occur most often in March, at the end of winter, when vitamin D levels would be lowest.

6) African Americans seem to suffer from a higher rate of autism, and they also have a higher rate of vitamin D deficiency than people with lighter skin. In Europe, the children of darker-skinned immigrants have higher rates of autism also.

7) Rickets, due to vitamin D deficiency, is characterized by hypotonia (poor muscle tone) and developmental delay, as is autism.

8) Autism seems to be higher among the kids of highly educated women, and they are more likely to follow guidelines for sun restriction for themselves and their children.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thank you for sharing!!

I sometimes forget to check her blog since I can't get it on my Google reader, but I love the information she shares.

Editing to add this random commentary...

"8) Autism seems to be higher among the kids of highly educated women, and they are more likely to follow guidelines for sun restriction for themselves and their children."

This is why it is so important for us to continue spreading the word. When accurate information is provided, this is a demographic of the population that is known for making big shifts for themselves and their children. It breaks my heart because so many of these woman are doing everything they can to follow CW teachings, and they unknowingly could (most likely) be causing more bad than good. Obviously it is just important for everyone, but just my random thoughts.
    Last edited by maddie427; 09-11-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maddie427 View Post
      It breaks my heart because so many of these woman are doing everything they can to follow CW teachings, and they unknowingly could (most likely) be causing more bad than good. Obviously it is just important for everyone, but just my random thoughts.
      Me too. It causes me to avoid pregnant family members who aren't interested in hearing about Vitamin D.

I just left some vitamin D on the doorstep of my dear neighbor. She's in her fifth year of residency and had two pregnancies during her intense medschool/residence period. Her first child has stuff. Just like my kids have stuff - I didn't know about D at the time.

I'm bringing some D to the lab next week for the person who's research I'm helping with .....she's pregnant and not yet taking D.

*crosses fingers*

At least now we have the Hollis/Wagner study to wave around

Comment

I sometimes forget to check her blog since I can't get it on my Google reader, but I love the information she shares.
        Weird, it works in Google Reader just fine for me... if I scroll to the very bottom of her page and click the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" it brings up the screen that lets me add it to Google Reader.
        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mayness View Post
          Weird, it works in Google Reader just fine for me... if I scroll to the very bottom of her page and click the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" it brings up the screen that lets me add it to Google Reader.
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by mayness View Post
            Originally posted by cillakat View Post
            +1
            Hmm....I'll have to double-check...weird.

Comment

Hmm....I'll have to double-check...weird.
              Off topic, but I thought maybe you guys would be able to help. I went to her site, clicked on the link on the bottom, and a new window opened with pages of this..

"k rel='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005#feed' type='application/atom+xml' href='http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default'/><link rel='self' type='application/atom+xml' href='http://www.blogger.com/feeds/3045634714760830992/posts/default'/><link rel='alternate' type='text/html' href='http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/'/><link rel='hub' href='http://pubsubhubbub.appspot.co"

Any ideas on what might be going on? I ran into this with another blog, but I've been able to add them from going into Google Reader, but her blog doesn't come up in the search function. Thank you for any help!

Editing to say that I figured it out!
              Last edited by maddie427; 09-11-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I posted this to my FB page last night. I have several friends with children who are dealing with varying forms of autism. And now that I think about it, none would have been in the sun very often. Gamers. Indoor people. Or people who are so sensitive to sun that they are always covered up.
                Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

Mercifully at least some OBs in the CW school are pushing Vitamin D and Omega 3 pretty heavily. The way they pitched it to me (not that I needed them to convince me) was "It's at least as important as folic acid. Take X amount" (where X is a lot more than the too-low RDA)
                  "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                    Mercifully at least some OBs in the CW school are pushing Vitamin D and Omega 3 pretty heavily. The way they pitched it to me (not that I needed them to convince me) was "It's at least as important as folic acid. Take X amount" (where X is a lot more than the too-low RDA)
                    and X is still too low. 4,000 IU in the Hollis/Wagner study improved results over 2,000 IU which improved things over 400 IU.

But the babies were still born vitamin D deficient. Most moms will need 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight - which of course means increasing dosage as weight increases. Certainly it's best to test blood levels but if that's not possible, please at least take 1000 IU per 25 lbs of prepregnancy weight and be sure to optimize dietary and supplemental magnesium.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Katt View Post
                      people who are so sensitive to sun that they are always covered up.

And oh the irony! They're sun sensitive in part b/c their D is so low.

So much work to do

Comment

"All told, it makes for a compelling theory, and Dr. Cannell has a point in that "this theory deserves immediate attempts to disprove it.""

It is a theory. I think that you are all jumping from theory and and treating it as if it is proven, although I think that there is no danger in increasing natural sun exposure and Vit D supplementation.

Just remember that the reason that we have to deal with the lipid hypothesis is because people thought "well it can't be unhealthy, so lets just recommend low-fat just in case." From that mindset low-fat became the dogma.

Again, I am not saying that increasing VitD will hurt anyone or their fetuses. I just think that you should be careful in what you take to be true. You could also alienate anyone with an autistic child by making it their fault. For all we know autism could be the cause of defects in a molecular pathway, which could in turn be caused by genetic defect or any number of developmental problems, ONE OF WHICH MAY BE maternal vitamin D levels.

Comment

Certainly more than likely. Autism apparently correlates with the latitude the mother was in during pregnancy, too.

Steve Gibson's amusing comment:

We see expensive commercials every night during prime time for expensive and patented pharmaceuticals that allow older men to urinate more easily and less often, but we never see any similar advertisements mentioning that study after study has shown that simply (and inexpensively) maintaining sufficient levels of Vitamin D can work to prevent rickets (that's well known) but also 17 types of cancer including pancreatic, colon/rectal, stomach, prostate, lung, breast, bladder, uterine, espousal, kidney, ovarian, multiple myeloma, non-hodgkin's lymphoma, and leukemia, lower blood pressure, improve immune system function (prevents colds and flu), autoimmune function, inflammation, multiple sclerosis, autism, allergies, preeclampsia, both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis (also well known) depression, muscle and bone weakness and generalized pain.
                          http://www.grc.com/health/vitamin-d.htm

This is the point - vitamin D is not patentable. That's why there hasn't been as much research on it as there might have been, and why one doesn't hear so much - although vitamin D's stock is rising at the moment.

The awful thing is that people were aware back in the thirties. Weston Price is quite interesting on D and on how some cultures managed to get it - guinea pigs in Peru:

Since the vitamin D group of activators is absent from nearly all plant products but must be synthesized in animal bodies from the plant foods, where it is largely stored in organs, an adequate source had to be provided. The Indians of the highlands of Peru maintained colonies of guinea pigs which were used in their stews. The ancient burials also show that the guinea pig was a common source of food since mummified bodies of this animal were found. This is significant since of all the animals that are used for experimental work the guinea pig is probably the most efficient in synthesizing vitamin D from plant foods.
                          http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...e/price15.html

If you went back to the thirties and forties I think you'd find an awareness of the work of people like Price and Sir Robert McCarrison, and initiatives around things like making sure children in orphanages got enough butter. There was even cod liver oil in the ration for children in Britain during the Second World War. Since then we've had about half a century of fat-scare (thank you for not controlling your data properly, Ancel Keyes ... oh, and, thanks for "cooking the books" and mis-reporting on cancer, Campbell) and we've had the (highly profitable) sun-scare as well.

Comment

Also, just because VitD levels, sun exposure and autism are connected does not mean that they directly correlate. Perhaps there is some factor that the sun helps us produce that has yet to be determined. In this case Vit D would simply be acting as a marker for sun exposure and this other factor would be what's actually linked to autism.

Comment

The Amazing Curative Powers of High-Dose Vitamin D in Aging and Autism
                              “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                              "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Working...
                              X