X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newborn babies should not be given sugar as pain relief, says study

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...relief-warning
    MDA PRIMAL LIBERTARIAN GROUP

thanks for posting this. I just posted it on my face book.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I think its pretty silly that any professional EVER thought some sugar water could numb pain...that is ridiculous.

Comment

But it's OK (according to CW) to feed them formula with sugar in it.
        sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

I agree that is just as silly, roadrunner...my SIL was ADAMANT about not ingesting sugar during her pregnancies (but only in its raw form as she consumed copious amounts of pasta, etc). Once the baby was born, it went straight to formula because breastfeeding was 'disgusting'. So not only was the baby on formula but needed to be on a special formula that had HFCS instead of just regular sugar.

Yeah, and then she thought it would be ok to dilute the formula to save her some money too (and thats AFTER turning down 50-60 CANS for free because it wasn't the right brand)...she's a real gem. But hey, at least she was adamant about sugar while making the kid, right....mmmhmmm.

Comment

Formula needs some sort of sugar to replace the lactose found in breastmilk.

Comment

Originally posted by Melody View Post
              Formula needs some sort of sugar to replace the lactose found in breastmilk.
              Absolutely. But formula is a distant, vastly inferior substitute for breastmilk. And our milk isn't some elevating, magical astounding substance. It's simply the *biological norm*. It's simply what human infants need. Anything else is subpar.

Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

It's also laced with some imune-boosting essentials not found in formula, at least the early stage 'chlostrum' is, not to mention D.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukawww View Post
                  I agree that is just as silly, roadrunner...my SIL was ADAMANT about not ingesting sugar during her pregnancies (but only in its raw form as she consumed copious amounts of pasta, etc). Once the baby was born, it went straight to formula because breastfeeding was 'disgusting'. So not only was the baby on formula but needed to be on a special formula that had HFCS instead of just regular sugar.

Yeah, and then she thought it would be ok to dilute the formula to save her some money too (and thats AFTER turning down 50-60 CANS for free because it wasn't the right brand)...she's a real gem. But hey, at least she was adamant about sugar while making the kid, right....mmmhmmm.
                  Putting a babies' health second to your sensibilities is disgusting, just like the mama's who don't breastfeed because it'll make their breasts saggy when the milk dries up. If your Boobs' apearance is more important than your babies health, you maybe aren't truly ready for motherhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukawww View Post
                    I think its pretty silly that any professional EVER thought some sugar water could numb pain...that is ridiculous.
                    Absolutely!
                    Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                    Putting a babies' health second to your sensibilities is disgusting, just like the mama's who don't breastfeed because it'll make their breasts saggy when the milk dries up. If your Boobs' apearance is more important than your babies health, you maybe aren't truly ready for motherhood.
                    I agree - especially since it's pregnancy that causes them to sag, not nursing. The milk is going to come in and stretch them out regardless of whether you breastfeed or not. In fact, not nursing could make it worse because you'll be so engorged and swollen.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                      Absolutely. But formula is a distant, vastly inferior substitute for breastmilk. And our milk isn't some elevating, magical astounding substance. It's simply the *biological norm*. It's simply what human infants need. Anything else is subpar.

Katherine
                      I've been breastfeeding for over 5 years straight, huge lactivist here. I was just stating that formula needs some kind of sugar to attempt to mimic the food it is replacing. You can't just take the sugar out of it. The fats in formula are awful too.

Comment

Hmm anyone know where I can get grass fed human milk in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                          Hmm anyone know where I can get grass fed human milk in Europe?
                          no no no, you want pastured human breast milk
                          I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Hmm... could be job opportunities as a wet nurse on the horizon...

Comment

Actually I'm going to defend formula a bit.

When my first daughter was born..(The one in my photo with me) no matter what we tried my wife just couldn't breastfeed to the point where the girl would have starved. We tried all the pumps, drugs everything but we had to use formula. What tends to happen though is that when people find out they automatically assume that we used formula because we are lazy. Even midwives, nurses etc would give us that look.

The truth is that sometimes breastfeeding just doesn't work. Medical professionals don't tell you that though and there is very little help for what to do when it goes wrong. They just kept saying to us "try harder".

On a bright note though, believe it or not both of our daughters (both formula fed) get sick far less than other children in their mothers group, play group etc. We asked their doctor about this and commented that every report indicates that formula children will be less healthy. He told us that whilst breast milk is ideal most mothers diet is not ideal and therefore their milk is usually not as nutritious. The mother gets their nutrients first then the milk gets some. This doesn't allow a strong immune system to build.

He commented that whilst formula may not have the antibodies in it it does have adequate nutrition and the child can build up a strong immune system with it.

So in summary breast milk is best...IF the mother has adequate nutrition for herself and the milk. which given our western diet is probably not as easy as it sounds.

I was surprised by this. Another thing they don't tell you about being a parent.

Comment

Working...
                              X