Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This made me sick : New Weight-Loss Surgery -_-

New Weight-Loss Surgery: Stomach Removed Through Patient's Mouth

After reading this, it just made me sick and disgusted by the fact of what people would do and when doctors are going to the extremes. I do not condone surgery for weight loss, other than liposuction if needed.

Anyone else want to even think about your stomach coming out of your mouth!!!

I actually think this is good technology. Any less invasive surgery is good surgery (though I don't advocate surgery as first-line for weight loss.

Comment

There are other medical reasons for removing the stomach other than weight loss. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Comment

Alright, all the power to you who think its a great idea but I still don't think its good. All the side effects is not worth it and its just down right unnatural.

But yeah, I guess it is useful for people with other problems with the stomach that would allow non-surgical procedures.

Comment

I think weight loss surgery is unnatural. So is any surgery. Sometimes unnatural is better than natural, sometimes not. But regardless, I can't see why the way they did it is particular problem? Through the mouth is gross but cutting open the abdomen isn't gross?

Comment

Yeah of course, I don't condone surgery. They are both gross are they not?

Comment

Ah, well I don't find medical and surgical things gross, but I think that's a personality thing.

Comment

Wow, 80% of someone's stomach removed! I would think that that would be enough to kill someone.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                  Wow, 80% of someone's stomach removed! I would think that that would be enough to kill someone.
                  Nope. I think I only have about 30% of my stomach. Still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
                    Yeah of course, I don't condone surgery. They are both gross are they not?
                    Guess what? When you're morbidly obese, you can judge!

Being 300+ or 400+ pounds is unnatural also.

I had weight loss surgery and I was scared as hell. I didn't know why I couldn't lose weight. I tried everything pre-op. I didn't make the decision lightly.

Please don't judge when you have no room doing so.

Comment

Again it's just treating the symptom, not the disease. It's sad to see what lengths people will go to avoid a little self discipline. *sigh*

Comment

By the way, I am not trying to be mean. I just want you to know that WLS is an emotional issue for some people. Another MDA member posted on another board and had to preface the post by warning people NOT to make comments about how awful gastric bypass is.

My point is: please don't judge people. Yes, it's unnatural. Is it ideal? No. I had tried low-carb, low-fat, Zone, Atkins, everything. But I didn't know about balancing my nutrition or other things, which is why I think I was unsuccessful. So I had surgery because I wanted to be able to play with my daughter and not die before I was 40. I have regretted surgery, but now I have come to terms with it. It can be a tool for people. I have been morbidly obese since early childhood. My body knows nothing else. A lot of people have this same experience.

The good news? Post-op diets tend to be more primal (except my stupid dietitian who pushed grains).
                        Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 08-16-2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                          Again it's just treating the symptom, not the disease. It's sad to see what lengths people will go to avoid a little self discipline. *sigh*
                          I realize that you have lost a lot of weight naturally. And that is so wonderful. So you must also realize what it feels like to be very overweight. I'm a little saddened by the tone of your post.

Comment

I'm sorry you're saddened by my tone, but it's how I see it. I don't feel sorry for people, especially when they have the power to change. I do understand though, not everyone has the knowledge or the tools to do so, which is why I'm more than happy to help the people around me do what I did. It IS sad to see people doing disasterous things to themselves in an effort to avoid eating properly and getting some exercise. For a long time I was one of those people. I know several people who had gastric bypass, lost a lot of weight, never changed their habits (thus they treated the symptom and not the disease) and are again overweight, but now stuck with further limitations (dietary mostly) brought on by the surgery.

Comment

Surgery through pre-existing holes is actually not unusual. Like going up your femoral artery to place stents or balloons instead of going in through your chest. Work with what nature gave you.

Comment

Working...
                              X